I know God - im sure you have questions.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

I know God - im sure you have questions.

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal

Re: I know God - im sure you have questions.

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote:.
My question is: What can I do to avoid getting to know him? I've heard you describe him and would prefer to stay unknown.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:.

No question only an answer.

The mind knows itself else nothing would be known.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: The mind knows itself else nothing would be known.
What is the mind?
What is itself?
What is nothing?
What does "known" mean?

Else =?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote:
Dontaskme wrote: The mind knows itself else nothing would be known.
What is the mind?
What is itself?
What is nothing?
What does "known" mean?

Else =?

No one knows. :roll:

Concepts and their meaning are known in the mind. Who or what knows known concepts is unknown ...any knower is this immediate knowing.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Venturing past the intellectual rigour of: mind is mind, itself is itself, nothing is nothing, known is known, and else is else:

What is the mind?
Thinking.

What is itself?
Thinking.

What is nothing?
A fantasy.

What does "known" mean?
The past.

Else =?
Lest.

Q: Would God know the answers and still ask questions?
A: Yes. He did it in Genesis.

Q: If a human knows the answers and still asks questions, is the human aping God?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Atto, could you ask God how it is that he is male and not a neuter? A gendered God makes no sense at all to me but everyone seems most insistent that God is a man. Yet, if God is male where is the female (or other male) that he fucks with his divine phallus? Are offspring expected? How would that work? Or could it be that God is a virgin or socially inept or too immature to find sexual partners? If so, does God masturbate and if he does, does that effect our reality?
Walker

Post by Walker »

Touchy. Rather sophomoric from a good thinker.

If you think God does not exist, why do you care what pronoun designates God, when a lack of pronoun would be gramatically cumbersome?

For that matter, I don't think people who believe in God give a hoot in hell what pronoun is used.
osgart

Post by osgart »

God revealed God's self how to you?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Greta wrote:Atto, could you ask God how it is that he is male and not a neuter? A gendered God makes no sense at all to me but everyone seems most insistent that God is a man. Yet, if God is male where is the female (or other male) that he fucks with his divine phallus? Are offspring expected? How would that work? Or could it be that God is a virgin or socially inept or too immature to find sexual partners? If so, does God masturbate and if he does, does that effect our reality?
Wow, what a ball of confusion the mind is..talk about tying itself up in knots..relax the tension a bit and use your inner eye to what's being pointed to ( . ? . )

Or, you could dip into the bucket of some magic squiggles in the form of words which are pretty much useful tools for pointing to the nameless nothings and showing us what nameless nothings are and what they mean.... words are quite clever in the sense that they already come with a meaning attached, so you don't have to think too hard..

It's raining today!..what is raining a question arises?

It is raining answered the question.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Walker wrote:Touchy. Rather sophomoric from a good thinker.

If you think God does not exist, why do you care what pronoun designates God, when a lack of pronoun would be gramatically cumbersome?

For that matter, I don't think people who believe in God give a hoot in hell what pronoun is used.
Who said that I think God doesn't exist? What do I know? There may well be some major spiritual force underpinning everything.

I thought it obvious that I'm having a dig at the fact that God was gendered male in ancient patriarchal societies. The convention of gendering God tends to promote an infantile anthropomorphic notion of the unknown. Take away the inappropriate and misleading pronoun and suddenly any talk of the nature of God becomes more adult.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Greta wrote:

Who said that I think God doesn't exist? What do I know? There may well be some major spiritual force underpinning everything.

I thought it obvious that I'm having a dig at the fact that God was gendered male in ancient patriarchal societies. The convention of gendering God tends to promote an infantile anthropomorphic notion of the unknown. Take away the inappropriate and misleading pronoun and suddenly any talk of the nature of God becomes more adult.
The nature of god is usually connoted in such abstract terms that whatever pronoun is used it merely operates as signifier where in context, he or she no-longer denotes male or female but simply an entity anthropomorphized for lack of a more abstract pronoun. I don't know! Maybe Sanskrit has one!
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dubious wrote:
Greta wrote:

The nature of god is usually connoted in such abstract terms that whatever pronoun is used it merely operates as signifier where in context, he or she no-longer denotes male or female but simply an entity anthropomorphized for lack of a more abstract pronoun. It's not that we wouldn't use it; we just can't find one. I don't know! Maybe there is such an impersonal reference in Sanskrit!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dubious wrote:The nature of god is usually connoted in such abstract terms that whatever pronoun is used it merely operates as signifier where in context, he or she no-longer denotes male or female but simply an entity anthropomorphized for lack of a more abstract pronoun. I don't know! Maybe Sanskrit has one!
That's true for some people, Dubs, but as you know there's plenty who really do think of God as a big magic man. Oodles of them. Many more believe in an inherently male creative spirit. Why would it be male? What of the female - unless creation itself is female in which case God is giving us jiggy jiggy (which may explain a few things, admittedly). So gendering God makes no sense and only serves to reinforce the delusions of the naive.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Dontaskme wrote:
Greta wrote:Atto, could you ask God how it is that he is male and not a neuter? A gendered God makes no sense at all to me but everyone seems most insistent that God is a man. Yet, if God is male where is the female (or other male) that he fucks with his divine phallus? Are offspring expected? How would that work? Or could it be that God is a virgin or socially inept or too immature to find sexual partners? If so, does God masturbate and if he does, does that effect our reality?
Wow, what a ball of confusion the mind is..talk about tying itself up in knots..relax the tension a bit and use your inner eye to what's being pointed to ( . ? . )

Or, you could dip into the bucket of some magic squiggles in the form of words which are pretty much useful tools for pointing to the nameless nothings and showing us what nameless nothings are and what they mean.... words are quite clever in the sense that they already come with a meaning attached, so you don't have to think too hard..

It's raining today!..what is raining a question arises?

It is raining answered the question.
Alas, the confusion I see above. For clarity, take deep breath and then count to 10,000. No skipping numbers or rushing. If you follow these instructions, Grasshopper, enlightenment shall be yours. If not, then you must have erred but victory will come to you if you persist until you get it right. Persistence, endurance are key. You must not give up - just keep counting until enlightenment comes.

If this does not work it is not the fault of the advice given. It is an internal failure to measure up, to be capable of fully embracing the nature of reality. Are you good enough? Get counting and we'll see ... when enlightenment comes please report back here with what you found.

In the meantime, perhaps you could reflect on whether the perturbations in the fabric of reality that we label with "squiggles" are all equally "meaningless".