Fishers of Men.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Harbal

Re: Fishers of Men.

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It seems to me that it's almost impossible to get people NOT to follow you if you have a personality that attracts them. I was watching an excellent Louis Theroux film about Scientology and honestly, just how whacko and openly corrupt and insane does an organisation have to be before people WON'T want to join it? I'm afraid I have no sympathy for cult zombies. As for a 'magnetic personality' L Ron Hubbard is the biggest mystery of all. One encounter with him and I would be running for the hills. Could any scientologists on here please translate Tom Cruise's endearing little tirade?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4O2_rZIgrQI
I only managed 5:17 before my nerves were jangling too much for me to carry on but I did my best.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote:It seems to me that it's almost impossible to get people NOT to follow you if you have a personality that attracts them. I was watching an excellent Louis Theroux film about Scientology and honestly, just how whacko and openly corrupt and insane does an organisation have to be before people WON'T want to join it? I'm afraid I have no sympathy for cult zombies. As for a 'magnetic personality' L Ron Hubbard is the biggest mystery of all. One encounter with him and I would be running for the hills. Could any scientologists on here please translate Tom Cruise's endearing little tirade?

I only managed 5:17 before my nerves were jangling too much for me to carry on but I did my best.
So you saw the maniacal laugh at 4:37? Who the hell is talking to anyway? He's such a ham.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote:
Question: "What does it mean to be 'fishers of men'?"

Answer: The phrase “fishers of men” was spoken by Jesus when He was calling two of His disciples, Simon Peter and Andrew, to follow Him. “As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. ‘Come, follow me,’ Jesus said, ‘and I will make you fishers of men.’ At once they left their nets and followed him” (Mark 1:16–18; see also Matthew 4:19).
Things have changed a lot in the last 2000 years, what would you say is the best way to get a man to follow you in 2017?
Convince him that he can get a lot of money if he does so.
Not necessarily true. A lot of cults demand that you hand over your hard-earned money and people don't seem to mind when they see their beloved leaders driving around in Ferraris, living in mansions and wearing Rolex watches.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: So you saw the maniacal laugh at 4:37? Who the hell is talking to anyway? He's such a ham.
I've always had an aversion to Tom Cruise, even before the scientology.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Harbal wrote: Things have changed a lot in the last 2000 years, what would you say is the best way to get a man to follow you in 2017?
Not necessarily true. A lot of cults demand that you hand over your hard-earned money and people don't seem to mind when they see their beloved leaders driving around in Ferraris, living in mansions and wearing Rolex watches.
We're not talking about cults, but about TV evangelists, who rake in a lot of money for nothing.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
thedoc wrote:
We're not talking about cults, but about TV evangelists, who rake in a lot of money for nothing.
Where were they mentioned? It's all the same anyway.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote:

Answer: The phrase “fishers of men” was spoken by Jesus when He was calling two of His disciples, Simon Peter and Andrew, to follow Him. “As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. ‘Come, follow me,’ Jesus said, ‘and I will make you fishers of men.’ At once they left their nets and followed him” (Mark 1:16–18; see also Matthew 4:19).
Things have changed a lot in the last 2000 years, what would you say is the best way to get a man to follow you in 2017?
Kidnap his wife and kids (for most men, although obviously some would feel this was a blessing).
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Not necessarily true. A lot of cults demand that you hand over your hard-earned money and people don't seem to mind when they see their beloved leaders driving around in Ferraris, living in mansions and wearing Rolex watches.
No, they aren't, what are you babbling about. And TV evangelists were what I was talking about, get with the program.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
thedoc wrote:
No, they aren't, what are you babbling about. And TV evangelists were what I was talking about, get with the program.
You did not mention TV evangelists. And how do they convince people that they will make money by following them?
They are all cults. Or are you saying yours is the 'sensible' one? :lol:
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

attofishpi wrote:
Harbal wrote:

Kidnap his wife and kids (for most men, although obviously some would feel this was a blessing).
Some would pay you to not bring them back.

An older man bought a new Corvette, driving it off the lot he decided to see what it would do. Soon he was doing 80 MPH, and then he saw the red lights flashing behind him, he decided to outrun the cop and was soon doing 120. At that time he thought "I'm too old for this kind on thing," and he slowed down, pulled over and stopped. The officer walked up and said, "It's Friday evening, I'm close to the end of my shift, can you give me a good reason for speeding?" The gentleman thought for a moment and said, "I'm separated from my wife, a few years ago she ran off with a policeman, I thought you were bringing her back." The officer said, "Have a nice day." and left.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Pick a fight with someone else, I'm not interested.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Pick a fight with someone else, I'm not interested.
You really are fucked in the head. Look back and see who's 'picking a fight' with whom. That's all you seem to do on here.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

[quote="vegetariantaxidermy"][/quote]

Come here puppy.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Come here puppy.
So where's the quote then?
Greta

Post by Greta »

Harbal wrote:

Still, how many of us still relate to the stuff we believed when we were young? Most of us tend to refine our ideas over the years, at least.

For the record I usually enjoyed Tom Cruise's screen presence. A few quality roles.