Good Friday

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Re: Good Friday

Post by uwot »

Walker wrote:Well, look at how everyone unquestioningly accepts the name of the day.

Good Friday.

What's so good about it.
Well, it's a long story, Walker, and since you didn't ask, I'll tell you anyway. It is one of the great ironies of christianity that it's most sacred festivals are based on pagan traditions. The birth of Jesus is celebrated shortly after the winter solstice, at the end of the Roman festival of Saturnalia, which is basically modern day advent, but with a lot more throwing up; those pre-christian Romans knew how to party. That we celebrate the 'birth' of a new year at roughly the same time, is no coincidence; the winter solstice is when the days start to get longer again-the Sun is 'reborn'. Easter is even more pagan. It's all to do with fertility, nature is reborn, there's food on the table once more, so we have eggs at the end of lent, because the winter stores ran out on shrove Tuesday. And then of course, there's the name Friday; named after the wife of Norse god Odin, Frigga.
Walker wrote:Seems more like: Torture Friday. Or, Execution Friday.
Seems more like people who take christian festivals seriously know fuck all about history.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:
Walker wrote:Good Friday.

What's so good about it.

Seems more like: Torture Friday. Or, Execution Friday.
Heh, I've wondered the same thing ... but we saw all those Fridays off work, and behold, it was very good.
Did they actually use the word “good” in the pagan days?

Good Friday is a Christian celebration. It is not a pagan celebration. Christian reasons for the use of the word are more relevant.

In pursuit of understanding rather than the game of pitching and catching denigration …
Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary wrote:Origin and Etymology of good
Middle English, from Old English gōd; akin to Old High German guot good, Middle High German gatern to unite, Sanskrit gadhya what one clings to
The Good Books says:
Genesis 1:31King James Version (KJV)
And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

This biblical verse uses “good” as a description of creation.
Since the day Good Friday has a biblical association, and is also used by God to describe creation, then the associated reference is holy.

Therefore: in seeking the purpose of the word good as used in Good Friday, begin with the supported assumptions that: the word has a positive meaning since it is a celebratory day, that the word is involved with life and not death, creation and not destruction (biblical reference of God’s words), and that attachment is involved.

The question then becomes, what is the creation and the life celebrated on Good Friday?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Walker wrote:
The question then becomes, what is the creation and the life celebrated on Good Friday?
GOOD could be symbolic of God with an extra zero

The two zeros representing the infinity sign oo

Therefore..God is Good.

:lol:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Is there anybody on this forum that doesn't think that their life is good?
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dontaskme wrote:Is there anybody on this forum that doesn't think that their life is good?
There are a few unfortunates who will complain, but the concern should be for the myopic, narcissist, parochial, complacent or just plain mental who think all lives are good.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

uwot wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:Is there anybody on this forum that doesn't think that their life is good?
There are a few unfortunates who will complain, but the concern should be for the myopic, narcissist, parochial, complacent or just plain mental who think all lives are good.
Life is a verb..''lives'' is a mental illusion.

What's wrong with right now unless you think about it?

One who is stuck in the mental realm of ''I exist as well'' can always kill them self if they don't like the reality of life being a verb.

God aka infinity aka love has no opposite...no opposition ....all is good.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Life is a verb..
It's a noun.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dontaskme wrote:
uwot wrote:...the concern should be for the myopic, narcissist, parochial, complacent or just plain mental who think all lives are good.
Oh really?
"About 29,000 children under the age of five – 21 each minute – die every day, mainly from preventable causes." https://www.unicef.org/mdg/childmortality.html
How many children have died during this exchange? What comfort is your non-duality to their parents, and the children who die as you read this?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

uwot wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
uwot wrote:...the concern should be for the myopic, narcissist, parochial, complacent or just plain mental who think all lives are good.
Oh really?
"About 29,000 children under the age of five – 21 each minute – die every day, mainly from preventable causes." https://www.unicef.org/mdg/childmortality.html
How many children have died during this exchange? What comfort is your non-duality to their parents, and the children who die as you read this?

Nothing dies, only the mind is born...not children.

Actually, the proof is in the pudding, I would suggest to any one grieving about how shitty life is..to pick up a Nonduality book and study the nature of human suffering and what causes it and how to stop it permanently...but I warn you it's going to take a very lot of hard work and time to get this...hello is there anybody out there willing to do that? ..probably not, because humans are weak, they want instant relief without putting in the hard work, it''s the same with everything in their life, they are the problem, there own worst enemy.. not life itself which is abundance beyond belief.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Dontaskme wrote:Nothing dies, only the mind is born...not children.
You mentioned 4 children, so you must have a passing acquaintance with the birds and the bees.
Dontaskme wrote:Actually, the proof is in the pudding, I would suggest to any one grieving about how shitty life is..to pick up a Nonduality book and study the nature of human suffering and what causes it and how to stop it permanently...but I warn you it's going to take a very lot of hard work and time to get this...hello is there anybody out there willing to do that? ..probably not, because humans are weak, they want instant relief without putting in the hard work...
Er, humans? You apparently believe that sacrificing your individuality to some pantheistic cause has been worth it. But then you haven't quite completed the job, because you feel compelled to admonish others for not having your discipline.
Dontaskme wrote:...it''s the same with everything in their life, they are the problem, there own worst enemy.. not life itself which is abundance beyond belief.
Not to children who don't make it to 5 years old.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wroteActually,
the proof is in the pudding, I would suggest to any one grieving about how shitty life is..to pick up a Nonduality book and study the nature of human suffering and what causes it and how to stop it permanently...but I warn you it's going to take a very lot of hard work and time to get this...hello is there anybody out there willing to do that? ..probably not, because humans are weak, they want instant relief without putting in the hard work, it''s the same with everything in their life, they are the problem, there own worst enemy.. not life itself which is abundance beyond belief.:

But there are small children ,or very ill people, and people who cannot read,and people who have time for nothing but working to get the next food on to the table. None of those have the time, or the ability, to read how not to suffer , or to put in the long sessions of training that may help them to suffer less.

Such people are not their own worst enemies. Very often other people are sufferers' worst enemies.

Dontaskme , you describe a passive attitude that we can do nothing to relieve suffering except learn how to put up with it.

Dontaskme, do you ever read a newspaper and learn about real events in the world?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote:
Dontaskme, do you ever read a newspaper and learn about real events in the world?
The only thing worth reading is Nondual literature or the Bible.

John 16:33
"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

If you refuse to listen, then so be it. It's your suffering not mine. You continue to identify with suffering as if it actually existed. It is you and you alone reinforcing the idea with the belief ...you are the one creating it. You are making it your experience/ reality ....I know that's hard for you to swallow, but swallow it you must like Adam had to. Try not to let it get stuck in your throat though, swallow it all down real hard all the way. You can take it, you are stronger than you think...Jesus proved that although he appeared to be the lowly lamb, he really had the strength and heart of a lion.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote:The only thing worth reading is Nondual literature or the Bible.
Thanks for the tip, Dontask, you've saved me the bother of reading the rest of your post.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote:
But there are small children ,or very ill people, and people who cannot read,and people who have time for nothing but working to get the next food on to the table. None of those have the time, or the ability, to read how not to suffer , or to put in the long sessions of training that may help them to suffer less.?
One simply has to put in the work just like every one who want's to master a particular field of knowledge. The study of Self is just as important as any other knowledge.All brain surgeons have earned their doctorate by committing themselves to study of how to be a brain surgeon ....and they've all managed to find the time as well as raise their families and given their attention to other commitments as well... probably..

I'm ill at the moment, with a very debilitating condition that gives me constant pain. I'm just happy I found Nondual wisdom, it gets me through it...life is an endless struggle when you are in that situation. I've also raised 4 kids and held down a part time job and looked after my partner, and still found time to study my passion of Nonduality...which I've been doing nearly all my adult life, so I think I am qualified enough now to know what I'm talking about, when it comes to truth regarding the nature of being/self.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote:so I think I am qualified enough now to know what I'm talking about, when it comes to truth regarding the nature of being/self.
The problem is that no one else seems to be qualified enough to know what you're talking about.