Good Friday

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Good Friday

Post by Dontaskme »

Religious rituals such as Easter / Christmas and all the other crazy human institutional rituals are total fabrications we willingly buy into by commonly agreeing that such belief structures are the only way to live life, and what constitutes reality for the human being.. as if such ideas actually existed for real.

Does anyone have a feeling or a sense there is something not quite right here, but go along with these human rituals anyway?

What about the new babies being born to the world, don't they get any say in the matter? how long are we going to put up with this ''Stepford Wife'' robotic ritualistic practice ?

Is this what it means to be human? surely we are more intelligent than this?
Harbal

Re: Good Friday

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote:Religious rituals such as Easter / Christmas and all the other crazy human institutional rituals are total fabrications we willingly buy into by commonly agreeing that such belief structures are the only way to live life, and what constitutes reality for the human being.. as if such ideas actually existed for real.

Does anyone have a feeling or a sense there is something not quite right here, but go along with these human rituals anyway?

What about the new babies being born to the world, don't they get any say in the matter? how long are we going to put up with this ''Stepford Wife'' robotic ritualistic practice ?

Is this what it means to be human? surely we are more intelligent than this?
If the rituals of Christmas and Easter are the most serious hazards future generations have to face, I don't think there's too much to worry about. To be honest, I think the new babies will be far better off being conditioned to get excited about Santa and Easter eggs than having their heads filled with the sort of claptrap people like you spout.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: If the rituals of Christmas and Easter are the most serious hazards future generations have to face, I don't think there's too much to worry about. To be honest, I think the new babies will be far better off being conditioned to get excited about Santa and Easter eggs than having their heads filled with the sort of claptrap people like you spout.
I agree.

Lets not condition people in how to think or behave. Let them just sit quiet and listen, so they can make-up their own mind about what to believe? :mrgreen:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Lets not condition people in how to think or behave. Let them just sit quiet and listen, so they can make-up their own mind about what to believe? :mrgreen:
And trust that they'll have the good sense not to listen to you. :mrgreen:
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote:
Dontaskme wrote: Lets not condition people in how to think or behave. Let them just sit quiet and listen, so they can make-up their own mind about what to believe? :mrgreen:
And trust that they'll have the good sense not to listen to you. :mrgreen:
All depends which you you listen to, the you that is not you or the you that is you. :mrgreen:

thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dontaskme wrote: All depends which you you listen to, the you that is not you or the you that is you.
Which Bullshit would you prefer that children listen to?
Skip

Post by Skip »

I have just indulged in our only Good Friday ritual: watching Life of Brian.
If we're in the mood, tomorrow we might watch Jesus Christ Superstar.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:I have just indulged in our only Good Friday ritual: watching Life of Brian.
If we're in the mood, tomorrow we might watch Jesus Christ Superstar.
I know of at least 2 versions that are available, I would like to see the original Broadway version on DVD. I saw the original version after Broadway, when it went on the road for several years.
Skip

Post by Skip »

1973 Norman Jewison; Ted Neely, Carl Anderson*
(* amazing voice, died far too young)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:1973 Norman Jewison; Ted Neely, Carl Anderson*
(* amazing voice, died far too young)
As you watch it, just remember everything Judas says is true, he just placed the wrong meaning on it. He didn't understand the true purpose of Jesus coming to Jerusalem, he was focused on continuing the ministry as he saw it.
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:
As you watch it, just remember everything Judas says is true, he just placed the wrong meaning on it. He didn't understand the true purpose of Jesus coming to Jerusalem, he was focused on continuing the ministry as he saw it.
Ministry - BAH!
Blood sacrifice never worked for the Aztecs, the ancient Chinese, the Druids.... or anyone else.
All gods are fake. All prayer is hot air. All sacrifice is waste.
People never learn; people never improve.
But we make nice songs and pictures.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Judas also wanted to keep the cash cow going, apparently he was one of the first Christian evangelists who saw a profit in the ministry, as opposed to being a prophet.
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:Judas also wanted to keep the cash cow going, apparently he was one of the first Christian evangelists who saw a profit in the ministry, as opposed to being a prophet.
keep the cash cow going??
What cash? They lived in their one robe, god only knows whether it ever got washed, though it must have in the version where in a female is tagging along, on the road, hand-to-mouth. And christianity wouldn't even be invented for another century; wouldn't become profitable for another three, and on another continent.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Skip wrote:
thedoc wrote:Judas also wanted to keep the cash cow going, apparently he was one of the first Christian evangelists who saw a profit in the ministry, as opposed to being a prophet.
keep the cash cow going??
What cash? They lived in their one robe, god only knows whether it ever got washed, though it must have in the version where in a female is tagging along, on the road, hand-to-mouth. And christianity wouldn't even be invented for another century; wouldn't become profitable for another three, and on another continent.
You really believe all the crap that critics make up about Jesus and the disciples. If they were so poor, why was Judas so eager to hold the money bag?
Skip

Post by Skip »

thedoc wrote:
You really believe all the crap that critics make up about Jesus and the disciples.
I just read it in their own books - the version without women, or clean underwear.
If they were so poor, why was Judas so eager to hold the money bag?
According to those same books, the only money-bag Judas ever held was the one containing 30 pieces of silver. I suppose he might have been mesmerized by that, after years of mendicancy.
Except, I always found it a bit odd that the authorities would need an informant at all, never mind such an expensive one: all they had to do was show up at any of the open-air sermons. Hint: Jesus is the one who's preaching.
Of course, plausibility was never the bible's strongest suit.