If God is so merciful, then why did Jesus have to be sacrificed?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: If God is so merciful, then why did Jesus have to be sacrificed?

Post by thedoc »

Islam says it's OK to rape young girls, should Christians acquiesce just to appease the Muslims.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

osgart wrote:conscience makes obvious that evil is in fact evil. a person would have to warp their very conscience not to recognize the absolute standard of conscience.
But absent any better standard, you can't judge that conscience is telling you the truth. We all sometimes imagine things that aren't true, like when as a child you feared a monster under your bed. There was none, even though you were terrified.

How do we know conscience isn't just a "false alarm" like that? To know that, we'd have to look at an external standard, just as the way to know there's no monster is to look under the bed.

If conscience, then, is "absolute," the only way we'll be able to know it is is if there is a more fixed standard to which we find it conforms...the standard of objective truth.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Immanuel Can wrote:Dostoevsky said, "If God is dead, everything is permissible." There again we see the wisdom of his observation.
Including fighting what one considers 'evil' presumably?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

thedoc wrote:Islam says it's OK to rape young girls, should Christians acquiesce just to appease the Muslims.
I thought Christians had to love thy neighbor and cannot do any actual action apart from non-violent ones?

As such what do you mean by non-acquiescence in the above?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

thedoc wrote:Islam says it's OK to rape young girls, should Christians acquiesce just to appease the Muslims.
So, humans are building roads through forests and woodlands killing innocent wild animals by the thousands every day.

Shit happens. Humans are just selfish to the core, best to just be self less like Jesus is.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote:Shit happens.
THAT'S your answer to the problem of injustice? :shock: We comfort ourselves that whatever is simply is?

So...we just accept that little girls will be kidnapped and raped. We just...what?..Get used to it? And we don't raise even a tiny voice of objection to say, "Why is it so?"

If you'll forgive me for saying so, (and even if you won't) your "comfort" is miserable.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:Shit happens.
THAT'S your answer to the problem of injustice? :shock: We comfort ourselves that whatever is simply is?

So...we just accept that little girls will be kidnapped and raped. We just...what?..Get used to it? And we don't raise even a tiny voice of objection to say, "Why is it so?"

If you'll forgive me for saying so, (and even if you won't) your "comfort" is miserable.
Are you thick or dumb or both?

Humans are given the freewill to choose good over evil. Who the heck is that you think is committing a sin here?

Humans have access to knowledge remember? .. unlike when they were once in paradise ...but then decided that paradise was not enough for them..and wanted release to earn their own bread and butter.. so they rebelled and ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

They now had knowledge about what's morally right and what immorally wrong. That was a GIFT God gave them because he's a nice chappy... freewill to choose their own path because he wasn't a domineering dictatorial arrogant greedy selfish bastard keeping all the knowledge to himself... so he allowed his children which he adored and loved more than he did himself the freedom to choose their own way...and they chose their own will ..rejecting their Father's will..... and hey presto...chaos ensued.....It's wasn't bloody God's fault...but God in his wisdom knew no harm would ever come of them as they would always return to him alone in love..else live a life of their own choosing, and to hell with all others.

Those that know knowledge..make their own bed, and those that make their own bed have to lie in it, and hopefully a bed with no shit to boot in it. :twisted:
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote:Humans are given the freewill to choose good over evil. Who the heck is that you think is committing a sin here?
What "choice," then, does the little girl make? :shock:
Humans have access to knowledge remember? .. unlike when they were once in paradise ...but then decided that paradise was not enough for them..and wanted release to earn their own bread and butter.. so they rebelled and ate from the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
Okay...no problem so far...
They now had knowledge about what's morally right and what immorally wrong. That was a GIFT God gave them...

Fine.
...Those that know knowledge..make their own bed, and those that make their own bed have to lie in it, and hopefully a bed with no shit to boot in it.

This is the part that seems a bit cavalier, to say the least.

Your problem now would be that at best, you've only explained one kind of "evil." But there are at least two.

You've got an explanation for the evil caused by humans. But what about the other kind of thing we recognize as hurtful, suffering-inducing, unwanted and potentially unjust? I mean things like earthquakes, diseases, tragedies, accidents, and so forth? To say they are "caused by humans" seems a bit of a stretch, to say the least. Susan Neiman, in her book on the subject, calls them "natural evils."

What do you do to explain them?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: What "choice," then, does the little girl make? :shock:
I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps.

Innocence returns to innocence. All Dogs go to heaven. Straight to heaven. :shock:

Can't have a victim without a perpetrator. We're all in this together. . in other words shit happens.

Why are you placing so much value on a human life as to assume it has more value than a Dog. :shock:

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Immanuel Can wrote: Susan Neiman, in her book on the subject, calls them "natural evils."

There is no evil in the world except what man put there. Therefore man should have the common decency to clean up after himself.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Dontaskme wrote:
Immanuel Can wrote: Susan Neiman, in her book on the subject, calls them "natural evils."

There is no evil in the world except what man put there. Therefore man should have the common decency to clean up after himself.
But your Supreme Creator God has made natural events such as terrible diseases, famines, pestilences, floods, earthquakes and death agony . Those all cause suffering which is why we refer to them as "evils". Man did not put these natural events there .

You seem to be well -meaning , and you do your cause no good by failing to understand the full scope of what we call 'natural evils' like I have just listed.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:

But your Supreme Creator God has made natural events such as terrible diseases, famines, pestilences, floods, earthquakes and death agony . Those all cause suffering which is why we refer to them as "evils". Man did not put these natural events there .

You seem to be well -meaning , and you do your cause no good by failing to understand the full scope of what we call 'natural evils' like I have just listed.
I don't believe evil exists, if you want to believe it does, then it's your funeral, not mine. I live in the kingdom of heaven.

That might be a bit too deep for some to fathom. And I'm not going to allow parasites to drain me of energy ..but I've got all the time in the world for those who see with their inner eye the bigger picture.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

DontAskMe wrote:
I don't believe evil exists, if you want to believe it does, then it's your funeral, not mine. I live in the kingdom of heaven.

That might be a bit too deep for some to fathom. And I'm not going to allow parasites to drain me of energy ..but I've got all the time in the world for those who see with their inner eye the bigger picture.
I did not say evil exists. I said there are events which are natural ,not man-made,and which are described as evil events. It is hard to see how an ordinary human person who sees suffering would not call it "evil".

If you regard criticism as parasitical you must be too lazy or too scared to face up to it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote:DontAskMe wrote:

I did not say evil exists. I said there are events which are natural ,not man-made,and which are described as evil events. It is hard to see how an ordinary human person who sees suffering would not call it "evil".

If you regard criticism as parasitical you must be too lazy or too scared to face up to it.

I receive all my knowledge straight from the sources mouth..

Your criticism and your opinion is worth about as much as manure is on a hot day.

There is no suffering in the world either. I don't think you quite understand the real truth.

If you believe in suffering then you are the one creating it... are you suffering?

Seek comfort and cure for that please before you infect others.
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Dontaskme wrote:Why are you placing so much value on a human life as to assume it has more value than a Dog. :shock:
Because clearly, you must.

After all, you think we human beings are responsible to take care of dogs. You never ask dogs to take care of humanity. :lol:

If human beings are no more than animals, then they're no more responsible than animals. But if they're responsible, then they're not just animals.

Pick your horse (or dog) and ride it.