Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion to convert us, worthy of us?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion to convert us, worthy of us?

Post by Greatest I am »

I was reading of my Gnostic Christian history, --- which grew itself without violence and with moral authority, --- and noted that both Christianity and Islam have both grown themselves through military conquest as compared to moral authority gained by persuasion.

We have had to suffer many Holy Wars, Inquisitions and jihads instead of those religions winning us over by good deeds and a better moral code.

Both Islam and Christianity say they respect Jesus and he said that we would recognize his people by their good deed, not war, so I think that Jesus would condemn both Christianity and especially Islam, given that they are both homophobic and misogynous religions who refuse to grant gays and women full equality. Christianity is slowly moving to equality while Islam is not.

Further, most religious laws have been bested by secular humanist laws, thanks to equality provisions and have already rejected the laws of those immoral Gods and their religions.

Given that violence instead of a better moral code has been used to grow Christianity and Islam, should moral people reject both Islam and Christianity as unfit to convert us to their religions?

Regards
DL

http://bigthink.com/videos/jelani-cobb- ... al-power-2
bobevenson

Re: Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion to convert us, worthy of us?

Post by bobevenson »

All religions with the exception of the Church of Ouzo subjugate the hoi polloi with their false prophets and have no moral authority whatsoever!
Greatest I am

Re: Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion to convert us, worthy of us?

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:All religions with the exception of the Church of Ouzo subjugate the hoi polloi with their false prophets and have no moral authority whatsoever!
And it gets it's moral authority, where?

Regards
DL