God V Devil

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

God V Devil

Post by Dontaskme »

The Devil is God in disguise.
attofishpi

Re: God V Devil

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:The Devil is God in disguise.
The God is Devil in disguise.
uwot

Post by uwot »

Yeah. It's a bit confusing. When Jesus was in the wilderness and he was tempted by the devil, it was bad; but when god put a tree in the garden of Eden and said "Don't touch it!", that was good. Wassat? A talking snake? Oh right, a fucking talking snake!
Listen guys, there may or may not be a god, I rilly dunno, but if it's that loon depicted in the bible, I'll eat my underpants.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:

Same one dreaming difference where there is none, for how would that which only exists as a dream differentiate between what is one thing and what isn't?
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote:Yeah. It's a bit confusing. When Jesus was in the wilderness and he was tempted by the devil, it was bad; but when god put a tree in the garden of Eden and said "Don't touch it!", that was good. Wassat? A talking snake? Oh right, a fucking talking snake!
Listen guys, there may or may not be a god, I rilly dunno, but if it's that loon depicted in the bible, I'll eat my underpants.
I just looked up the verse and talking is only part of the mystery.

The serpent only had to crawl on its belly after speaking with the woman.

Before the serpent spoke with the woman, what did it look like and how did it move from A to B?

Genesis:

[13] And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

[14] And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

(humor break)
Spaceballs dancing Alien spoof
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0ePMb7um9E
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
I think you two should get a room.
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Walker wrote: I just looked up the verse and talking is only part of the mystery.

Before the serpent spoke with the woman, what did it look like and how did it move from A to B?

Genesis:

[13] And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.

[14] And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
Maybe it's really simple. Maybe he was on his back, avoiding eating all the dust, as he 'backstroked' his way across the ground, with his head turned upwards, and God just flipped him over on to his belly, so that his face, and mouth, were now scraping across the ground, hoovering up "the dust"?

Either that or he was on a unicycle.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
There's no room in here for two.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
I think he knows it wouldn't take much of me having to listen to you before i'd end up killing you. :D
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
I think he knows it wouldn't take much of me having to listen to you before i'd end up killing you. :D
You'd have to find her first.
Greta

Post by Greta »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote:[14] And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:[/i]
Maybe it's really simple. Maybe he was on his back, avoiding eating all the dust, as he 'backstroked' his way across the ground, with his head turned upwards, and God just flipped him over on to his belly, so that his face, and mouth, were now scraping across the ground, hoovering up "the dust"?

I used to work in a museum. The skeleton gallery was enlightening for me, seeing the remarkable similarities between all of the skeletons. Apart from the snake. Everything else seemed to be based on the usual model of skull & spine-with-bits-sticking-out. The snake was simpler, more primal.

So the Bible passage may speak of a regression to the ancient worm archetype, amongst the simplest and earliest animal shapes. The snake represents the viciousness of the untamed wild before H. sapiens came to gentrify the place and choose tasteful curtains (I assume Australopthecus and Habilis were rather less refined). Humans were given the gift of overriding their basic urges but, well dammit, Eve cracked first and Adam was happy enough to join in.

So we regressed a little, like the snake that evolved to lose its limbs and "return to the dirt". The suffering we endure as a result of our impulse control failures (reversion to animal behaviour) is the "banishment from the garden". That would make God our reasoning human aspect and Satan our animalistic side.

The blood sacrifice of Jesus is supposed to allow for re-admittance to the garden, as long as one repents. Maybe the crucifixion is a metaphor for the final savagery and supreme atrocity to herald death of ancient times, heralding in a new, more civilised era for humanity?

The ancients might have dreamed fondly of a time when people largely controlled their wilder impulses which made for a safer society. They might have dreamed of a time one need not die in childbirth, where children usually grew to adulthood, where most people would have a reasonable expectation of growing old, where most children would be educated and people might enjoy some of the good things in life.

I wonder if they ever fulfilled that dream? :)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
You'd have to find her first.
Find who - or are you talking about yourself in 3rd person like a total woops sorry!.
Last edited by attofishpi on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

ForCruxSake wrote:
Walker wrote: I just looked up the verse and talking is only part of the mystery.

Genesis:

Good golly. A back-stoking side-winder you say. The good/bad, north/south paradigm never even considered up/down or front/back. Sounds like an Olympic move, or something. And a serpent biting its own tail-end while ever-diving into a never-ending somersault actually would resemble a unicycle to the casual observer.

However, just as reality is an on-going metaphor for principles, many of which unfold along the same routes as ancient parchments and stone markers, once reality is carved in stone by the attritions of time upon humans, then understanding flows in reverse from literal to metaphor to principle. Thus, the serpent transcends time to lie waiting within the infinite expanse of potentiality, for the proper conditions and form from which to spontaneously strike.

Parting the mists on this particular issue of vital importance which harkens to the beginning of any birth in human form:

In principle, taken from the verse as facts assumed to be absolute for the purpose of objective philosophical analysis:

- God is truth, trust, and obedience to the maker of that newness.
- The devil is intoxication with interweaving words and concepts.
- The human path outside of the paradise where Adam wandered in oblivious trust is the razor’s edge that separates the two.

Fresh mist?
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Greta wrote:The ancients might have dreamed fondly of a time when people largely controlled their wilder impulses which made for a safer society. They might have dreamed of a time one need not die in childbirth, where children usually grew to adulthood, where most people would have a reasonable expectation of growing old, where most children would be educated and people might enjoy some of the good things in life.

I wonder if they ever fulfilled that dream? :)
Yes, but only to sacrifice it all over again due to ignorance and a momentary* lack of impulse control...

(* that "moment" being the 20th century onwards.)
ForCruxSake

Post by ForCruxSake »

Walker wrote:
ForCruxSake wrote:Maybe it's really simple. Maybe he was on his back, avoiding eating all the dust, as he 'backstroked' his way across the ground, with his head turned upwards, and God just flipped him over on to his belly, so that his face, and mouth, were now scraping across the ground, hoovering up "the dust"?

Good golly. A back-stoking side-winder you say. The good/bad, north/south paradigm never even considered up/down or front/back. Sounds like an Olympic move, or something. And a serpent biting its own tail-end while ever-diving into a never-ending somersault actually would resemble a unicycle to the casual observer.
Actually I just saw him on a unicycle, wound round the saddle post, with the end of his tail pushing back on the wheel. I drew it but I can't attach the image unless I create a web page for it.
Walker wrote:Parting the mists on this particular issue of vital importance which harkens to the beginning of any birth in human form:

In principle, taken from the verse as facts assumed to be absolute for the purpose of objective philosophical analysis:

- God is truth, trust, and obedience to the maker of that newness.
- The devil is intoxication with interweaving words and concepts.
- The human path outside of the paradise where Adam wandered in oblivious trust is the razor’s edge that separates the two.

Fresh mist?
No. How does one follow such poetry?