Should there be a license to practice/teach religion?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Should there be a license to practice/teach religion?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't recall ever seeing it discussed.

I'm not talking about being degreed. I'm talking about being licensed. Some might say it's a violation of the doctrine of the separation of church and government (US). But wouldn't you like the reassurance that your local preacher is valid rather than dealing with a flimflam man or woman?

What do you think?

PhilX
uwot

Re: Should there be a license to practice/teach religion?

Post by uwot »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:...wouldn't you like the reassurance that your local preacher is valid rather than dealing with a flimflam man or woman?
Hmm. State sponsored bollocks, or just any old bollocks. Tough choice.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Philosophy Explorer wrote: I'm talking about being licensed. Some might say it's a violation of the doctrine of the separation of church and government (US). But wouldn't you like the reassurance that your local preacher is valid rather than dealing with a flimflam man or woman?
Jesus Christ, you're looking for certification from the government, the same people you wouldn't ask the time of day from for fear of getting the wrong answer? Please! No, make that double-please!
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I don't recall ever seeing it discussed.

I'm not talking about being degreed. I'm talking about being licensed. Some might say it's a violation of the doctrine of the separation of church and government (US). But wouldn't you like the reassurance that your local preacher is valid rather than dealing with a flimflam man or woman?

What do you think?

PhilX
There already is, it is a simple promise to join a church and become a member. It is a bit longer process to be ordained and become a pastor. These could be considered as a License to practice or teach religion and they are both internal to the church.
wtf

Post by wtf »

I'm sure the Romans would have loved to be able to license Jesus.

Would that be a counterexample to the proposition that the government should be able to license those who profess to interpret the word of God?

Now here is a better question. Should churches be tax-exempt, and which churches get that privilege? I don't think Jesus ever applied for tax-exempt status, did he?

In my opinion, any church or preacher who hooks up with the government for a tax break isn't a church worth going to or a preacher worth listening to.

I don't want my religion tainted by the dirt of politics. And politics is a dirty business.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

wtf wrote:Politics is a dirty business.
Please, with the notable exception of my proposed American Energy Party (AEP), which, by the way, would have nothing to do with churches or any other so-called non-profit organizations.
uwot

Post by uwot »

wtf wrote:I'm sure the Romans would have loved to be able to license Jesus.
They did, it's Roman Catholicism after all.
wtf wrote:I don't want my religion tainted by the dirt of politics.
Well, that rules out every religion ever then.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I don't recall ever seeing it discussed.

What do you think?

PhilX
Meat for the attorneys.