A Good Infinite Regress Step of Some Cosmological Arguments

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: A Good Infinite Regress Step of Some Cosmological Arguments

Post by Arising_uk »

IC and thedoc are out-of-date with their physics but no surprise there as they wish physics(at least IC does) to reflect and bolster their faith.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/earth/story/201506 ... iverse-end
Noax

Post by Noax »

thedoc wrote:If everything settles to the same temperature and everything is even, there is no temperature differential to do any work.
That's right. All the energy is entropy, so none available for work.
If everything stops and everything cools to absolute zero there is no energy at all.
But it can't because there is nowhere for the energy to exit the stage.
The conservation of energy works on Earth,
No, it doesn't. Earth is not a closed system, and the only reason we are alive is because of the continuous influx of energy from outside.
but there is no reason to expect it to be in force on a universal scale. It could well be that energy will be dissipated at the universal level and the conservation of energy at the Earthly scale does not apply. Has anyone observed energy on the universal scale?
Has anyone figured out how to dispose of energy without just putting it elsewhere? The whole engineering of the braking system of a railroad train is an exercise in trying to dispose of energy. Hard to do.

There are admittedly laws that don't scale. The rules of special relativity don't scale up for instance.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Noax wrote:
thedoc wrote: The conservation of energy works on Earth,
No, it doesn't. Earth is not a closed system, and the only reason we are alive is because of the continuous influx of energy from outside.
Correct, but the energy that is on Earth and stays on Earth is conserved, the law does not account for the energy that comes into the system or leaves the system.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Noax wrote: There are admittedly laws that don't scale. The rules of special relativity don't scale up for instance.
True enough, but no-one knows if the law of conservation of energy scales up to the universe, or is there an exit for energy to escape the universe?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Arising_uk wrote:IC and thedoc are out-of-date with their physics but no surprise there as they wish physics(at least IC does) to reflect and bolster their faith.
As you know, intelligence continuing its current path unhindered far into the future with entropy ever increasing dictates that we would evolve into an intelligent system A.I. ..'God' eventually - before the point of heat death, so perhaps that is the antipode of infinite regress...how ironic :mrgreen: .
Noax

Post by Noax »

attofishpi wrote:As you know, intelligence continuing its current path unhindered far into the future with entropy ever increasing dictates that we would evolve into an intelligent system A.I. ..'God' eventually - before the point of heat death, so perhaps that is the antipode of infinite regress...how ironic :mrgreen: .
You think intelligence is rising? We're not exactly selecting for it, or artifically breeding for it. The ones breeding like rabbits don't seem to be the intelligent ones.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:As you know, intelligence continuing its current path unhindered far into the future with entropy ever increasing dictates that we would evolve into an intelligent system A.I. ..'God' eventually - before the point of heat death, so perhaps that is the antipode of infinite regress...how ironic :mrgreen: .
I think you've been reading to many sci-fi books.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Noax wrote:
You think intelligence is rising?
No, i didn't state that. I am stating that human intelligence, continuing to exist far into the future...and what will likely become wo/man's destiny.
Noax

Post by Noax »

attofishpi wrote:
Noax wrote:
You think intelligence is rising?
No, i didn't state that. I am stating that human intelligence, continuing to exist far into the future...and what will likely become wo/man's destiny.
OK, I read it again, and A-uk's assessment is better. You're quite taken with the Asimov story, no?
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Noax wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Noax wrote:You think intelligence is rising?
OK, I read it again, and A-uk's assessment is better. You're quite taken with the Asimov story, no?
No Arising's assessment is shite. I have read Asimov, and i think you are alluding to the last question, but i worked out the natural progression of a requirement for efficiency when it comes to entropy way before ever stumbling across it.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:No Arising's assessment is shite. ...
Don't think so, you've been reading Vinge, et al and/or have been listening to the singularity mob.
I have read Asimov, and i think you are alluding to the last question, but i worked out the natural progression of a requirement for efficiency when it comes to entropy way before ever stumbling across it.
Your super-computer 'God' would have no heat differentials to work from at the end and why not just make us more biologically suited to such times rather than download into a 'rapture for the nerds'. Biology not Computing seems to be the future for us or maybe a mix. But the odds are that we'll be extinct long before any of this is a bother.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Arising_uk wrote:
attofishpi wrote:No Arising's assessment is shite. ...
Don't think so, you've been reading Vinge, et al and/or have been listening to the singularity mob.
Yes, years after i backtracked a reasonable assessment in the knowledge of the existence of 'God'.
Arising_uk wrote:
attofishpi wrote:I have read Asimov, and i think you are alluding to the last question, but i worked out the natural progression of a requirement for efficiency when it comes to entropy way before ever stumbling across it.
Your super-computer 'God' would have no heat differentials to work from at the end and why not just make us more biologically suited to such times rather than download into a 'rapture for the nerds'. Biology not Computing seems to be the future for us or maybe a mix. But the odds are that we'll be extinct long before any of this is a bother.
You are havin a laff arn't you! These are the same points you made at the start of the long conversation we had on the matter many years ago, that your poor memory has wiped! I agreed on the biological suggestion but the end result of the argument permitted only a 'yes' answer, that we would evolve into some efficient system to deal with the progression of entropy (if we avoided extinction), and you quickly retreated from the argument.
One day i'll get the argument going again and we can once again go over these concepts, but alas, not now thanks.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

attofishpi wrote:... and you quickly retreated from the argument. ...
I doubt I quickly retreated, just didn't reply. Bored probably as there's too many assumptions in such a proposal.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Ooo look - i killed anuva thread. This time with finite progression with regards to entropy. Here's a picture God must have thought up:

The balance of the English Alpha-bet. 3-3 5-5-5

A I
U O
e=energy.

www.androcies.com
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

What happens if 'God's' Russian?