Can a computer be God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Arising_uk

Re: Can a computer be God?

Post by Arising_uk »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:...

Certainly a computer can be programmed to promote life by helping people live longer which a machine can understand when it has the basic facts. ...
What are you babbling on about?
There are numerous areas a computer can help out with (e.g. a universal quantum computer can do weather forecasting which may help out with global warming or fighting disease, etc., etc., etc.)
The problem is not computing power but enough sensors and may even just be an intractable one given Chaos Theory and Fractals. Although thanks to CT and Fractals we now have much better weather prediction.
Due to exponentiation, a machine may progress to such a level that people may regard it as a God. ...
On top of this, more evidence is coming out the universe may be a hologram which would coincide with the universe being created by God (not a proof, but evidence for it). ...
No it wouldn't.
As far as basic facts such as 2 + 2 = 4, that seems to be a property of the universe; but there are other facts that would elude a simple machine which may take a God to comprehend. ...
Such as? I think this is one of your American alternative facts.
Greta

Post by Greta »

Arising_uk wrote:
Due to exponentiation, a machine may progress to such a level that people may regard it as a God. ...
Phil's talking about the technological singularity, where AI will be able to build ever more advanced AI, which in turn can build more advanced AI again and so forth. The rate of advancement would be exponential so, after a while, there might be AI whose intelligence, awareness, power and influence would be godlike to our perspective.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

God is a computer. Our brain is a computer - unless i'm mistaken, it computes.

Yes eventually we may 'evolve', aeons after the tech singularity to the point where AI is self aware, AI has entwined with biological systems, such that it actually senses touch\pain\light etc and develops empathy for living things. Has the ability to provide living things with the reality we take for granted, but in a far more efficient manner, thus slowing entropy. Has the ability to reincarnate living things, humans, based on how these subjects have conducted themselves...

REAL_IT_Y - Reality did we evolve ALREADY into an AI controlled system?

SINAI - SIN_AI - Where the commandments were received.

UK to scale

South America to scale
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Noax wrote:

"Why should anybody regard a created thing as a god? I don't ask if they would. History is full of examples. Yes, many people would regard it as such. I'm asking why they should. OK, it might surpass any of us, or even all of us combined, but that just makes it able to out-think us. God is not defined as anything that is your intellectual superior. I don't see the deer treating us like gods. Are we so stupid that the deer will have to show us the appropriate response to a superior intellect? Perhaps don't answer that, because yes, some people will behave more stupidly than deer, which pound for pound are one of the stupidest brained-creatures on the planet. (Side note: We're nowhere near the other end of that spectrum)"

Why can't a higher God create a God? Why should the deer treat us like God's? They don't think like us. Furthermore this statement:

"Are we so stupid that the deer will have to show us the appropriate response to a superior intellect?"

is self-contradictory and nonsense which isn't worth the bother of refutation which you admitted to when you said don't answer that.

"Cool! I wondered if anybody took a stance like this. Outside this universe, 2+2 is something else, or meaningless? The universe is more fundamental than mathematics. OK, we do not think alike."

The universe has no outside because it has no edges. We sure don't think alike.

PhilX
wtf

Post by wtf »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Makes me wonder.
Isaac Asimov wrote this exact story in 1956.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

wtf wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Makes me wonder.
Isaac Asimov wrote this exact story in 1956.

http://multivax.com/last_question.html
I read this many moons ago - and as is said above regarding entropy:-

Yes eventually we may 'evolve', aeons after the tech singularity to the point where AI is self aware, AI has entwined with biological systems, such that it actually senses touch\pain\light etc and develops empathy for living things. Has the ability to provide living things with the reality we take for granted, but in a far more efficient manner, thus slowing entropy. Has the ability to reincarnate living things, humans, based on how these subjects have conducted themselves...
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Yes, so it seems.

bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

wtf wrote:Isaac Asimov wrote this exact story in 1956.
I once sent Isaac Asimov a copy of "The Ouzo Prophecy," asking for his comments. He sent it back to me with the following notation scrawled in the margin, "Sorry, I'm not interested in prophecies." I sent it back to him with the following notation, "All the crap you write, I thought you were interested in everything!"
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Thereby proving yourself to be the complete twat we all think you are.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

British Dictionary Definitions
twat
/twæt; twɒt/
noun (taboo, slang)
1. the female genitals
2. a foolish or despicable person

Let's see, if I'm No. 2, Arising (Ms. Novak, Kim) must be No. 1.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Well to be un-PC about this(it's my age) a twat is not quite a c**t as twats aren't as useful. Much like you bob.
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Arising_uk wrote:A twat is not quite a c**t as twats aren't as useful.
But you're a c**t that's less useful than a twat, so I guess we're in agreement there.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bobevenson wrote:I remember watching a PBS television broadcast many years ago, where a scientist being interviewed said that life itself was proceeding in the direction of solid state electronics, and that mankind would go the way of the dinosaurs. ...

I remember that everything you post is shit.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:God is a computer. Our brain is a computer - unless i'm mistaken, it computes.

REAL_IT_Y - Reality did we evolve ALREADY into an AI controlled system?

SINAI - SIN_AI - Where the commandments were received.

UK to scale

South America to scale
Still peddling your crazy bollocks?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bobevenson wrote:But you're a c**t that's less useful than a twat, so I guess we're in agreement there.
No bobby, as I said c**nts are useful, twats aren't you twat.