Can a computer be God?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

Re: Can a computer be God?

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote:South America to scale
Still peddling your crazy bollocks?
Hello Hobbes - how are you today? :D

Do you like the South America painting?
Do you think its my crazy bollocks and why?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote:South America to scale
Still peddling your crazy bollocks?
Hello Hobbes - how are you today? :D

Do you like the South America painting?
Do you think its my crazy bollocks and why?
You are TIT obsessed.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Brazil
1350-1400; Middle English brasile < Medieval Latin < Italian < Spanish brasil, derivative of brasa live coal (the wood being red in color) < Germanic; see braise
Bra
1910-15; < French brassière bodice worn as an undergarment to support the breasts (now obsolete in this sense), Middle French bracieres camisole, Old French: armor for the arms, equivalent to bras arm (see brace ) + -ière, suffix added to body part nouns, the resultant derivative denoting an article for that part < Latin -āria -ary

False association is a sign of schizophrenia
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:Brazil
1350-1400; Middle English brasile < Medieval Latin < Italian < Spanish brasil, derivative of brasa live coal (the wood being red in color) < Germanic; see braise
Bra
1910-15; < French brassière bodice worn as an undergarment to support the breasts (now obsolete in this sense), Middle French bracieres camisole, Old French: armor for the arms, equivalent to bras arm (see brace ) + -ière, suffix added to body part nouns, the resultant derivative denoting an article for that part < Latin -āria -ary

Arn't you resourceful Hobbes, well done. So the above means im a schizo...oh well you truly are a sane and obviously very rational chap.

My turn...in 2017 (This is our current point in time Hobbes btw) :-

bra
Noun.
1. worn by women to support their breasts
--------------------------------------------------
Brazil
Noun.
1. the largest Latin American country and the largest Portuguese speaking country in the world; located in eastern South America; world's leading coffee exporter
natal
Adjective.
1. ( Medicine) of or relating to birth. 2. a rare word for native: natal instincts. [C14: from Latin nātālis of one's birth, from nātus, from nascī to be born]
A chill up your spine
Phrase.
Things that are scary can make you feel cold and make you shiver a little bit. So when something is frightening, you can say that it "sends chills up your spine". This phrase is usually for talking about scary things. However, in some situations you can also use it for things that make you really excited in a positive way. For example: The chorus of that song is so beautiful. When I hear that, it sends chills up my spine.

If God didn't forge the landmass, and evolve their naming into the current form, then all we have is a strange set of 3 coincidences.

The Coincidences:-
1: So what we have is a landmass, that to scale, i could turn into the profile of a very large breasted woman - in the landmass Bra_zil.
2. On the very nipple of this Bra landmass is a town called Natal - (dict. of or relating to childbirth).
3. The very spine of this landmass is a perfectly located Chile - as the saying goes - a chill up your spine.

Do you think these are rather peculiar coincidences?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Brazil
Bra

Arn't you resourceful Hobbes, well done. So the above means im a schizo...oh well you truly are a sane and obviously very rational chap.

My turn...in 2017 (This is our current point in time Hobbes btw) :-

bra
Noun.
1. worn by women to support their breasts
Brazil
Noun.
1. the largest Latin American country and the largest Portuguese speaking country in the world; located in eastern South America; world's leading coffee exporter
natal
Adjective.
1. ( Medicine) of or relating to birth. 2. a rare word for native: natal instincts. [C14: from Latin nātālis of one's birth, from nātus, from nascī to be born]
A chill up your spine
Phrase.
Things that are scary can make you feel cold and make you shiver a little bit. So when something is frightening, you can say that it "sends chills up your spine". This phrase is usually for talking about scary things. However, in some situations you can also use it for things that make you really excited in a positive way. For example: The chorus of that song is so beautiful. When I hear that, it sends chills up my spine.

If God didn't forge the landmass, and evolve their naming into the current form, then all we have is a strange set of 3 coincidences.

The Coincidences:-
1: So what we have is a landmass, that to scale, i could turn into the profile of a very large breasted woman - in the landmass Bra_zil.
2. On the very nipple of this Bra landmass is a town called Natal - (dict. of or relating to childbirth).
3. The very spine of this landmass is a perfectly located Chile - as the saying goes - a chill up your spine.

Do you think these are rather peculiar coincidences?
You are a serious case.

I am embarrassed on your behalf.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:You are a serious case.
Cop-out. You cannot argue against what are extremely unlikely to be naturally occurring 'coincidences'...and that is just one of the images.

atto again outwits an atheist.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
Cop-out. You cannot argue against what are extremely unlikely to be naturally occurring 'coincidences'...and that is just one of the images.

SImply; you are MAD.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

SImply; you are MAD.
You should be embarrassed on your own behalf - unable to refute my claims, and instead having to resort to cheap digs.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Makes me wonder.

PhilX
Depends upon what you call God, so God needs to be defined first absolutely.
Now, a computer could be God for us 'cause we like it so much. Then, we have in a way defined God using the backwards, in the sense that God is someone or something we like, love, hold in high esteem, bow to, adore, appreciate immensely, perhaps cannot do without etc. Also, we remark - so and so or such and such a thing is a Godsend. I think the computer is one of those, limited to being one of those. I don't think it could ever be God itself for it cannot think, feel, understand etc., for it only responds to previously coded information, so independent thinking etc., in the computer is not there. The independent entity would be God.
Noax

Post by Noax »

Beauty wrote:Depends upon what you call God, so God needs to be defined first absolutely.
I would give it a practical definition, like "The supernatural entity(s) that is(are) responsible for the existence of the (natural) universe". If it is part of the universe, it might just be any random superior thing. I don't consider that a god in any way. If it has complete power over you, then there is a master/slave relationship, but still not a god.

Any computer created in this universe is still a natural one, and thus cannot be responsible for the existence of the universe. A god of something perhaps, but not our god.

Phil (in post 11) implies that mathematics is only a property of the universe, so mathematics would not be valid for a supernatural entity that created it, and thus that while God might exist, is not a computer as we know it that utilizes mathematics.
Then, we have in a way defined God using the backwards, in the sense that God is someone or something we like, love, hold in high esteem, bow to, adore, appreciate immensely, perhaps cannot do without etc.
That would be a mommy, not a god. You want such a relationship with a god, but I see nothing that necessitates this.
I don't think it could ever be God itself for it cannot think, feel, understand etc., for it only responds to previously coded information, so independent thinking etc., in the computer is not there.
And you don't fit this description? What is your thinking independent of, and why does a computer not have that independence?
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Noax wrote:
Beauty wrote:Depends upon what you call God, so God needs to be defined first absolutely.
I would give it a practical definition, like "The supernatural entity(s) that is(are) responsible for the existence of the (natural) universe". If it is part of the universe, it might just be any random superior thing. I don't consider that a god in any way. If it has complete power over you, then there is a master/slave relationship, but still not a god.

Any computer created in this universe is still a natural one, and thus cannot be responsible for the existence of the universe. A god of something perhaps, but not our god.

Phil (in post 11) implies that mathematics is only a property of the universe, so mathematics would not be valid for a supernatural entity that created it, and thus that while God might exist, is not a computer as we know it that utilizes mathematics.
Then, we have in a way defined God using the backwards, in the sense that God is someone or something we like, love, hold in high esteem, bow to, adore, appreciate immensely, perhaps cannot do without etc.
That would be a mommy, not a god. You want such a relationship with a god, but I see nothing that necessitates this.
I don't think it could ever be God itself for it cannot think, feel, understand etc., for it only responds to previously coded information, so independent thinking etc., in the computer is not there.
And you don't fit this description? What is your thinking independent of, and why does a computer not have that independence?
Well, you definitely raise some good points here.

But regarding God in my post, that God is this, God is that, I meant that would you not like God to be there for you always, you would, but I did not mean like a mommy, I meant generally. And regarding independence, I meant that computers are not responding due to their own thinking, feeling, understanding, but are doing so because of previously coded information, so they could not be independent. Where I remark computers are Gods for us, then it is only in the sense where we say for things(or even for people) that - Oh! It's a Godsend, or it's my God, or it's God. I did not actually mean that computers are God in the sense of an actual God looking after us all, but only in the sense that we like computers very much.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Noax wrote: I would give it a practical definition, like "The supernatural entity(s) that is(are) responsible for the existence of the (natural) universe". If it is part of the universe, it might just be any random superior thing. I don't consider that a god in any way. If it has complete power over you, then there is a master/slave relationship, but still not a god.
So when we make movies(silver screen), who is there on the screen, not us? It is us, so we are part of what we made.
Noax wrote: Any computer created in this universe is still a natural one, and thus cannot be responsible for the existence of the universe. A god of something perhaps, but not our god.
In so much as everything in this world can have power over us, everything must sit God.
Noax wrote: Phil (in post 11) implies that mathematics is only a property of the universe, so mathematics would not be valid for a supernatural entity that created it, and thus that while God might exist, is not a computer as we know it that utilizes mathematics.
So I made paper and am utilizing it also, so then because I am utilizing paper, I did not make it? I did(only an example).
Noax

Post by Noax »

Beauty wrote:So I made paper and am utilizing it also, so then because I am utilizing paper, I did not make it? I did(only an example).
In this example, you would create paper, but also be made of paper yourself. Sort of a chicken and egg problem.

It is a bit irrelevant. I believe I misrepresented Phil's statement that mathematics is only a property of the universe. He defines universe as all there is (including God), making the statement empty. Phil perhaps has no word to distinguish created from creator.
To me, 'universe' has two context-dependent meanings, both short of 'all existence'.
1) Everything that is part of our fundamental physics (including other inflation bubbles for instance)
2) Everything part of our local piece of accessible spacetime, a far more restrictive definition.

The latter is probably how most people use the word. Mathematics appears not to only be a property of the universe by either definition. If the universe exists because of a god, then it is the 1st definition that is the created thing. There are no unicorns on earth in the latter restricted definition. The speed of light is not a property of the first definition of universe, but it is a property of the second one.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

Noax wrote:
Beauty wrote:So I made paper and am utilizing it also, so then because I am utilizing paper, I did not make it? I did(only an example).
In this example, you would create paper, but also be made of paper yourself. Sort of a chicken and egg problem.

It is a bit irrelevant. I believe I misrepresented Phil's statement that mathematics is only a property of the universe. He defines universe as all there is (including God), making the statement empty. Phil perhaps has no word to distinguish created from creator.
To me, 'universe' has two context-dependent meanings, both short of 'all existence'.
1) Everything that is part of our fundamental physics (including other inflation bubbles for instance)
2) Everything part of our local piece of accessible spacetime, a far more restrictive definition.

The latter is probably how most people use the word. Mathematics appears not to only be a property of the universe by either definition. If the universe exists because of a god, then it is the 1st definition that is the created thing. There are no unicorns on earth in the latter restricted definition. The speed of light is not a property of the first definition of universe, but it is a property of the second one.
I think this will answer it all:
We make things for our usage like we make pens to write and then we write using the pen. We make schools(school environment) and then we are there to study. We create party environment and then we are there to enjoy. We create work environment and then we are there to work, etc. So even though the basic elements are there already created(perhaps our spirit created in spiritual world and perhaps that is what we would call the supernatural or supreme world), we also create things, environment, homes to live in, centers for activities. Point is that in the created the creator can be, also the creator can use the created as in using a pen, and so forth.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Beauty wrote: Point is that in the created the creator can be, also the creator can use the created as in using a pen, and so forth.
Your point is invalid. The creator cannot be in it's creation because they are inseparably one and the same no thing.. aka oneness. No thing created oneness, it's an illusion, any creation is therefore just an image of the imageless. A reflection of invisible light/energy. No logically coherent description exists by which a thing can create itself.

The artist is not in the painting. The painting is in the artist. The artist can never be found in the painting, although the painting does appear to be an apparent evidence of a creator, but the creator can never be found...it's all smoke and mirrors... just try find the beginning of you and there you will see your creator...you can't do...that's because there is no you, you is only and ever one, aka zero.

The mind cannot handle that truth. But it is the peace that passes all understanding.