Is Religiocity something to be worried about?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

HexHammer

Re: Is Religiocity something to be worried about?

Post by HexHammer »

Reflex wrote:I generally ignore Hobbes due to the fact that his comments are crude and more obnoxious than even my own, but the OP does seem to be a serious commentary on his view of religion. I shall, therefore, try to refrain from laughing and treat it with all the respect due to a paranoid schizophrenic.
So true!
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

attofishpi wrote:Does this->> :roll: to the clueless atheists.
You're entitled to your opinion, Fish Pie, but you have to recognise that a guy who hears voices when he's alone in his bed chamber doesn't score too highly on the credibility chart.
Reflex wrote:I really do believe the are exhibiting a kind of insanity. I'm bemused because I don't know how dangerous it is.
Don't worry yourself, Reflex, in the context of all the other stuff you don't know, this is but a small thing.
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

Harbal wrote:Don't worry yourself, Reflex, in the context of all the other stuff you don't know, this is but a small thing.
I agree. Now I'm REALLY scared!
Greta

Post by Greta »

Tsk Alfie, don't scare the children!
Reflex

Post by Reflex »

In a bent more serious than the OP, I have little doubt that there is genetic component to a person's propensity for religion, just as there is a genetic component to a person's propensity for violence. However, even the WIKI link posted by Hobbes does not suggest anything like what he proposes. Clearly, the OP is just an immature attempt to raise the ire of theists and get accolades from fellow atheists, but it does raise some interesting questions.

Below are three articles about what the “God gene” implies. Only the middle one, which denies a genetic link altogether, is remotely suggestive of the OP. I find the last one to be the most interesting.

The Evolution of the God Gene

The Fallacy of the God Gene

What Twins Reveal About the Science of Faith
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Harbal wrote:
You're entitled to your opinion, Fish Pie, but you have to recognise that a guy who hears voices when he's alone in his bed chamber doesn't score too highly on the credibility chart.
Yes its the ultimate cliche for a crazy person, someone that 'hears voices'.

Does the fact that i simply heard a voice (not plural) and the context that i was told i would have bad luck that night, then that night i was attacked with a baseball bat, improve any level of credibility?
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote:
Harbal wrote:

Does the fact that i simply heard a voice (not plural) and the context that i was told i would have bad luck that night, then that night i was attacked with a baseball bat, improve any level of credibility?
You could say 'the voice' was lying, and you actually had good luck. You are still alive aren't you? Or do you call that bad luck?
And it's not a cliche. Hearing voices really is a sign of insanity, or, you could have had a deja vu experience due to the trauma. But then it's so much more fun to dismiss logical explanations in favour of the more interesting idea that omnipotent, supernatural beings are interested in your puny existence. You have to wonder why they didn't just prevent the baseball attack in the first place if they cared enough to let you know it was going to happen. What did they expect you to do about it? And what about all the people who have been attacked and had no 'prior warning? Does that mean you are a saint?

Vaticinium ex eventu.
Last edited by vegetariantaxidermy on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Harbal wrote: You're entitled to your opinion, Fish Pie, but you have to recognise that a guy who hears voices when he's alone in his bed chamber doesn't score too highly on the credibility chart.

You could say 'the voice' was lying, and you actually had good luck. You are still alive aren't you? Or do you call that bad luck?
And it's not a cliche. Hearing voices really is a sign of insanity, or, you could have had a deju experience due to the trauma. But then it's so much more fun to dismiss logical explanations in favour of the more interesting idea that omnipotent, supernatural beings are interested in your puny existence.

Vaticinium ex eventu.
This is only 1 example of 100s of interactions ive had with this God entity. You spoke like a truly ignorant atheist, well done, remain clueless.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

attofishpi wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

And it's not a cliche. Hearing voices really is a sign of insanity, or, you could have had a deju experience due to the trauma. But then it's so much more fun to dismiss logical explanations in favour of the more interesting idea that omnipotent, supernatural beings are interested in your puny existence.

Vaticinium ex eventu.
This is only 1 example of 100s of interactions ive had with this God entity. You spoke like a truly ignorant atheist, well done, remain clueless.
Seems to me you are on the wrong medication, or should be taking it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: You could say 'the voice' was lying, and you actually had good luck. You are still alive aren't you? Or do you call that bad luck?

Vaticinium ex eventu.
Seems to me you are on the wrong medication, or should be taking it.
In 1997 when God\sage first started interacting with me - it or he said, "Crying is how we show our love."

I had never considered this before - but in all the years since, it stands to reason.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote: In 1997 when God\sage first started interacting with me - it or he said, "Crying is how we show our love."

I had never considered this before - but in all the years since, it stands to reason.
Please observe the exact moment, occasioned by a blow to the head, when this subject began to suffer from GGDD.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
attofishpi wrote: In 1997 when God\sage first started interacting with me - it or he said, "Crying is how we show our love."

Please observe the exact moment, occasioned by a blow to the head, when this subject began to suffer from GGDD.
The blow to the arm occurred in 2005 - since 1997 (eight years) i was already aware that the God entity existed.
Greta

Post by Greta »

attofishpi wrote:In 1997 when God\sage first started interacting with me - it or he said, "Crying is how we show our love."

Crying is also how we show we are in pain. In evolutionary terms crying is a submissive behaviour that basically asks others for cooperation rather than competition.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Greta wrote:
attofishpi wrote:In 1997 when God\sage first started interacting with me - it or he said, "Crying is how we show our love."

Crying is also how we show we are in pain. In evolutionary terms crying is a submissive behaviour that basically asks others for cooperation rather than competition.
God/sage was talking to me, a man, most of us rarely cry in pain.
Though, I do admit, i did cry in extreme pain in 2005. I wonder if in reflection, i saw the love i had for myself and cried since the sage/God had inflicted the pain, perhaps in a submissive behaviour such as what you mentioned.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

attofishpi wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:

The blow to the arm occurred in 2005 - since 1997 (eight years) i was already aware that the God entity existed.
Blows to the head affect memory too.