This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Wyman

Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

Post by Wyman »

Greatest I am wrote:This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

God kills when he could just as easily cure. This is irrefutable.

This is a clear violation of the golden rule. The golden rule as articulated by Jesus.

God then is clearly evil.

Do you agree with Jesus that anyone who breaks the golden rule is evil?

Regards
DL
This is what 16 year olds in high school pine about while their brains are still developing.
thedoc

Re: This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

Post by thedoc »

Wyman wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:This is incontrovertible proof that God is evil. God does not live by his own golden rule.

This is a clear violation of the golden rule. The golden rule as articulated by Jesus.

Regards
DL
This is what 16 year olds in high school pine about while their brains are still developing.
You give him too much credit.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:Where in the book of Revelation does it talk about a golden rule, or anywhere else in the Bible for that matter?
What does love your neighbor as yourself tell you if not to treat others the way you would treat a loved one?

We are talking about Jewish text and here is what Jews thought.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/03132009/watch.html

Rabbi Hillel, the older contemporary of Jesus, said that when asked to sum up the whole of Jewish teaching, while he stood on one leg, said, "The Golden Rule. That which is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbor. That is the Torah. And everything else is only commentary. Now, go and study it."

Please listen as to what is said about literal reading.

"Origen, the great second or third century Greek commentator on the Bible said that it is absolutely impossible to take these texts literally. You simply cannot do so. And he said, "God has put these sort of conundrums and paradoxes in so that we are forced to seek a deeper meaning."

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Wyman wrote:

Regards
DL
That is what a 14 year old would say when he cannot refute the logic of the message and turns to attacking the messenger while ignoring the message that he cannot refute.

Thanks for showing us your age.

Regards
DL
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Greatest I am wrote:
Wyman wrote:

Regards
DL
That is what a 14 year old would say when he cannot refute the logic of the message and turns to attacking the messenger while ignoring the message that he cannot refute.

Regards
DL
Fair enough. Here are a few points:

Did Jesus really say that not following the GR makes you evil?

Didn't he also say that God forgives those who ask? Doesn't that make the GR advisory only - i.e. if you break it you can be forgiven?

Why do you think that God should follow His own rules for men? He is not a man. Perhaps there are races of aliens in the universe for which He
has laid down different rules of conduct. That's possible isn't it? In which case, would He be bound to follow both sets of rules? What if the rules are contradictory? How would He pull that off?

How do you know that God kills when He could just as easily cure? Perhaps he is of limited means and can only kill. Imagine a fantasy game in which you are God and you have to shape and mold the course of human history - wars, scientific advancements, culture, etc., but your only special power was that you could kill anyone you liked and nothing else - for instance, if you found out that some people were about to arrest Einstein and send him to Treblinka, you could kill them in order that science advance.

Is killing a 'clear violation of the GR'? What if you are given the choice between killing one man and thus saving the lives of a million children (maybe it is a man who would kill the inventor of the smallpox vaccine)? If for some happenstance I were that one man, I would not object to being killed and I would not object to killing that one man if it were not me; in order to save the children. Therefore, I would be following the GR of 'do unto others what I would have done to me' - being killed for the sake of a million children.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Wyman wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Wyman wrote: This is what 16 year olds in high school pine about while their brains are still developing.

Regards
DL
Fair enough. Here are a few points:

Did Jesus really say that not following the GR makes you evil?

Didn't he also say that God forgives those who ask? Doesn't that make the GR advisory only - i.e. if you break it you can be forgiven?

Why do you think that God should follow His own rules for men? He is not a man. Perhaps there are races of aliens in the universe for which He
has laid down different rules of conduct. That's possible isn't it? In which case, would He be bound to follow both sets of rules? What if the rules are contradictory? How would He pull that off?

How do you know that God kills when He could just as easily cure? Perhaps he is of limited means and can only kill. Imagine a fantasy game in which you are God and you have to shape and mold the course of human history - wars, scientific advancements, culture, etc., but your only special power was that you could kill anyone you liked and nothing else - for instance, if you found out that some people were about to arrest Einstein and send him to Treblinka, you could kill them in order that science advance.

Is killing a 'clear violation of the GR'? What if you are given the choice between killing one man and thus saving the lives of a million children (maybe it is a man who would kill the inventor of the smallpox vaccine)? If for some happenstance I were that one man, I would not object to being killed and I would not object to killing that one man if it were not me; in order to save the children. Therefore, I would be following the GR of 'do unto others what I would have done to me' - being killed for the sake of a million children.
You are all over the map, to the point of foolishness. Lets see i8f we can even communicate on one issue at a time.

"Did Jesus really say that not following the GR makes you evil?"

Is it evil to ignore commandments?

It seems to be as that is what we are condemned on if we do not adhere to them.

Right?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Wyman wrote:[

Who has the first right to forgive sins?

I would say the victim and if he does not, then God has no business forgiving what the victim is not ready to forgive.

God is not the victim of sin as he is said to be so great that such things cannot effect him.

Regards
DL
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

Is it evil to ignore commandments?
Depends - were the Germans who helped the Jews in WWII evil because they ignored Hitler's commands?
I would say the victim and if he does not, then God has no business forgiving what the victim is not ready to forgive.
Well that is not anything like what the Bible says. Are you just making this up as you go?
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Wyman wrote:[
quote]Is it evil to ignore commandments?
Depends - were the Germans who helped the Jews in WWII evil because they ignored Hitler's commands?
Do you see a humans command the same way as what the religious see as God's command?

Shall we stick to religion and not politics?
Well that is not anything like what the Bible says. Are you just making this up as you go?
[/quote]

The bible contradicts itself on almost all topics.

Let us reason.

Who gets first dibs at forgiving someone who has sinned against you? You or God?

Your bible is clear on this.

Regards
DL
Wyman

Post by Wyman »

It's not my bible. At this point I have no idea what you talking about. You are making up your own definitions and rules and then arguing that those definitions prove something. As my first post indicated, the idea that since there is evil in the world, therefore there must be no benevolent God is hardly new.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Wyman wrote:It's not my bible. At this point I have no idea what you talking about. You are making up your own definitions and rules and then arguing that those definitions prove something. As my first post indicated, the idea that since there is evil in the world, therefore there must be no benevolent God is hardly new.
So man is the one who forgives. Good enough.

Regards
DL
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Greatest I am wrote:Now, go and study it.
Please, go study it? You don't have to study the book of Revelation or "The Ouzo Prophecy." You either understand it or you don't, and you don't.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

bobevenson wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:Now, go and study it.
Please, go study it? You don't have to study the book of Revelation or "The Ouzo Prophecy." You either understand it or you don't, and you don't.
True because you do not explain it at all and just spot off about it.

Regards
DL