God is a concept of a being that inspires us to try to be more than what we are.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: God is a concept of a being that inspires us to try to be more than what we are.

Post by Dalek Prime »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
osgart wrote:well its just sad to be here to only live and die..
Not it is not. There is nothing "Only" about living.
Sure there is. It's your 'only' life'.
Terrapin Station

Re: God is a concept of a being that inspires us to try to be more than what we are.

Post by Terrapin Station »

osgart wrote:God is the divine all knowing one true justice nature of pure righteous judgment and truest love of all that is innocent.
I thought God was supposed to love those who aren't innocent, too.
osgart

Post by osgart »

thats the christian God. Who demands repentance and faithfulness and obedience to enter into right relation and those whom endure to the end are truly saved and enter the kingdom of heaven. It is extended to all because all are found guilty.
I have no faith in this comic book fallacy of a god and believe it to be evil.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:God is a concept that urges us to be less than we could be.
Or at least allows us to abdicate responsibility for what we do; 'it was God's will'; 'we were following orders' (the Nazi defense).
True.
prothero

Post by prothero »

If you do not believe in anything greater than yourself, you will not accomplish anything greater. Religious inspiration has been the source of much of the worlds great art, literature, music, architecture and even society. Granted religious inspiration has also been the source of much war, death and destruction.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

prothero wrote:If you do not believe in anything greater than yourself, you will not accomplish anything greater. .
Rubbish. My entire life has been the steady accomplishment of things I never thought possible.
The reason is that I am free from the chains of religion.

I have left religious people behind me as they have cowered under the pressure of the gaze of god, fearful of upsetting out-of-date moral standards written by goat herders in the Levant over 2k years ago, and only updated by Greeks 1900 years ago.