Do fictional characters have eternal life?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Do fictional characters have eternal life?

Post by Dontaskme »

“Human delusions of time immemorial, deceit, pride, deviousness, and conceit, have conglomerated into one body. That is why [Buddhist] scripture says that this body is just made of elements, and its appearance and disappearance is just that of elements, which have no identity. When successive thoughts do not await one another, and each thought dies peacefully away, this is called absorption in the oceanic reflection.”~Zen master Mazu

The above quote is saying that LIFE is already immortal and that any 'thought' about life ie:(knowing) is immortal too.

We cannot question or fathom LIFE with the mind. That would be like asking what it's like for electricity to be electricity.

Why do many religious people think that the personal memories and experiences accumulated since birth are going to continue to exist after they die? even though brain injury or disease tells us that memories and experiences can be lost even in this life.

So stop beating yourself up, chill out and relax, THIS LIFE is going nowhere.
Dontaskme

Re: Do fictional characters have eternal life?

Post by Dontaskme »

Absolute understanding is not more of relative understanding or the maximum of relative understanding. Absolute understanding is clarity that relative understanding is illusory and not real. Absolute understanding is not a known entity that could be experienced, just as non-duality is not a known entity that could be experienced. Illusory does not mean relative understanding does not exist. Illusory means that relative understanding does exist, but it does not exist in the manner the mind thinks it exists. The illusory exists as it is an inherent quality of light by which a deception of reality is imagined in the mind as an actuality. This is neither a belief nor a concept. It is based on scientific facts that everything known by man basically exists as light, and on a declaration of enlightened in their scriptures, that the world is illusory.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

As understanding evolves, man understands that illusory does not mean the real in daily life does not exist. Evolved understanding indicates by logic and reasoning that the perceived real in daily life is made up of atoms, and atoms being light, it means that the real in daily life, which is believed to exist has to exist as an illusion of light and cannot have a real existence.The mind is limited because it cannot experience atoms and molecules as an actuality; there presence is a thought and not an actual experience. Individual protons, neutrons, and electrons when combined constitute atoms. You are made of the stuff you are sitting in. You have never experienced you. You is the experience.When an atom is struck by electricity (or heat), it gains some energy. ... then falls back down to its original state and releases some energy in the form of light.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Thoughts only sustain so long as there is someone thinking them. Fictional characters do not "exist" if people aren't thinking about them. There probably will not be thinking things forever--especially not if some of our theories about likely cosmological evolution turn out to be correct, so the answer to the question is probably "No."
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I don't believe fictional characters have eternal life because I don't believe they live to begin with.

PhilX
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:Thoughts only sustain so long as there is someone thinking them. Fictional characters do not "exist" if people aren't thinking about them. There probably will not be thinking things forever--especially not if some of our theories about likely cosmological evolution turn out to be correct, so the answer to the question is probably "No."
Anything 'known' is fiction. Life is known conceptually but a concept cannot know anything because it's a fiction. And fiction doesn't have a writer. So nothing can be known of that which is unwritten.

Also, thoughts give the illusion there is a thinker. If that were true, then the thinker would have control of the thoughts. But, there is no thinker to get rid of unwanted thoughts. Therefore, thoughts are fiction.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I don't believe fictional characters have eternal life because I don't believe they live to begin with.

PhilX
All belief is fiction.
Philosophy Explorer

Dontaskme wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:I don't believe fictional characters have eternal life because I don't believe they live to begin with.

PhilX
All belief is fiction.
Since you've never experienced all belief, then you can't know. Also from what you've just expressed, you know the difference between fiction and nonfiction so you must know what nonfiction is so nonfiction does exist for you.

PhilX
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:

PhilX
All belief is fiction.
Since you've never experienced all belief, then you can't know. Also from what you've just expressed, you know the difference between fiction and nonfiction so you must know what nonfiction is so nonfiction does exist for you.

PhilX
There is no difference between fiction and non-fiction except the belief itself. And if every belief is fiction the belief in non-fiction cannot be possible. That which is a fiction cannot be 'not a fiction'. Fiction is known because real is known. All that's known are believed concepts. Although no believed concept has ever been seen. So does the real exist? does the fictional exist? ...only as they are known by that which can never be known or seen.

The 'you' doesn't know or experience anything. The 'you' is the 'experience known' in the 'experiencing'.
Philosophy Explorer

Dontaskme wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
All belief is fiction.

PhilX
There is no difference between fiction and non-fiction except the belief itself. And if every belief is fiction the belief in non-fiction cannot be possible. That which is a fiction cannot be 'not a fiction'. Fiction is known because real is known. All that's known are believed concepts. Although no believed concept has ever been seen. So does the real exist? does the fictional exist? ...only as they are known by that which can never be known or seen.

The 'you' doesn't know or experience anything. The 'you' is the 'experience known' in the 'experiencing'.
So why use the terms fiction and nonfiction? If they're the same thing, why bother using two terms for description? Can you justify every belief is fiction? What would you tell a shrink who was checking you out to see if you have a connection with reality? Can you justify that no believed concept has ever been seen? What do you mean by seen?
And if you don't know or experience anything, then how do you learn or have any knowledge at all? Do you question your own existence?

PhilX
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

At present I'm attracted to the fictional characters of Leda and Zeus according to the tale of the former's rape by the latter.

If any fictional characters more than others approach eternal life those are the characters whose stories portray large concepts regarding the human condition.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Dontaskme wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:Thoughts only sustain so long as there is someone thinking them. Fictional characters do not "exist" if people aren't thinking about them. There probably will not be thinking things forever--especially not if some of our theories about likely cosmological evolution turn out to be correct, so the answer to the question is probably "No."
Anything 'known' is fiction. Life is known conceptually but a concept cannot know anything because it's a fiction. And fiction doesn't have a writer. So nothing can be known of that which is unwritten.

Also, thoughts give the illusion there is a thinker. If that were true, then the thinker would have control of the thoughts. But, there is no thinker to get rid of unwanted thoughts. Therefore, thoughts are fiction.
I'm ot going to bother to respond, because you just respond with an endless supply of Aleister Crowley Book of Lies outtakes. That's a waste of my time. I pointed out what non-insane lurkers might find useful in my initial post in the thread.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:So why use the terms fiction and nonfiction? If they're the same thing, why bother using two terms for description? Can you justify every belief is fiction? What would you tell a shrink who was checking you out to see if you have a connection with reality? Can you justify that no believed concept has ever been seen? What do you mean by seen?
Because nothing could be described at all without an opposite for comparison. A word by itself is devoid of any meaning without the presence of it's opposite. The opposite is a word as well, which gets it's meaning from the word it gives meaning to, which is nevertheless without a meaning by itself. This means that the quantum nature of meanings is a word with it's opposite in the same moment. This implies that the meaning which you do not want is also present in the meaning that you do want. This mysterious play of opposites are of the same one mind in the same moment. A mind that cannot be seen or known by what is seen and known. Every thing is known, except the knower. Every thing is seen except the seer. No knower or seer indicates every thing known and seen are fiction.

Words known arise in that which is not a word... (not- known)
Philosophy Explorer wrote:And if you don't know or experience anything, then how do you learn or have any knowledge at all? Do you question your own existence?
No thing exists...and everything exists. Existence is ...but it's not a thing/concept...that which is not a thing/concept arises as all things and concepts.Existence is known by the experience of existing. It is not known what or who experiences existence, for the knowing experience of existence appears and disappears in that not-knowing experiencing. Hence any experience is a fiction.
Philosophy Explorer wrote:Do you question your own existence?
Existence does not question it's existence. why would it need to do that? ... why would existence have any doubt about existing if it is existing, who would the doubter be? it would have to be something existing outside of existence itself?
Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Terrapin Station wrote:I'm ot going to bother to respond, because you just respond with an endless supply of Aleister Crowley Book of Lies outtakes. That's a waste of my time. I pointed out what non-insane lurkers might find useful in my initial post in the thread.
I've never even heard of that book or the author. So don't project your lies here, they're not welcome, this is a thread of truth.

If it's a waste of time, then no one is forcing you to lurk around my threads...just don't read them, simple isn't it.. goodbye weirdo.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Belinda wrote:At present I'm attracted to the fictional characters of Leda and Zeus according to the tale of the former's rape by the latter.

If any fictional characters more than others approach eternal life those are the characters whose stories portray large concepts regarding the human condition.
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about.