Do you want to continue to live your dream or do you want to wake up?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AiR

Do you want to continue to live your dream or do you want to wake up?

Post by AiR »

What happens when we dream? We forget who we are because in our dream, we are somebody else in different circumstances - maybe we are on a plane flying to an unknown country with strangers, but that’s what we are. The point is: imagine that you had the power of deciding whether you want to continue your dream or not. Imagine that you are having a nightmare, a horrifying dream where you are being tortured, you are in pain, your body is diseased, bleeding; would you like that dream to continue? Of course not, but we don’t have a choice. We don’t have a control over our dreams! The question is: would you like to continue living in your dream or would you like to wake up? If I had a choice, I would like to stop living the dream because I know that the dream is just a dream - why would I want to live in a dream? Why spend those moments dreaming, only to wake up to realize that the dream is not real? Why dream of all the good things, only to wake up, happy or disappointed that it was just a dream?

If I have a choice, I would rather wake up and face the reality of my life. Now comes another and bigger question. It is about our life. Isn’t it like a dream? When it is over, we look back; nothing was permanent, nothing belonged to us. We came without anything and when we leave, we leave without anything. Is it not like a dream? It looks like we have all these people who are our relatives and friends, we have all this wealth which is our property - but at the end, when we wake up from the dream called life and look back, well, nothing is really ours. It is over like a dream.

Therefore, the question is - do you want to continue living in this dream called life or do you want to wake up and face the reality of who you truly are and what you should truly be doing?

AiR
Dubious

Re: Do you want to continue to live your dream or do you want to wake up?

Post by Dubious »

AiR wrote: Therefore, the question is - do you want to continue living in this dream called life or do you want to wake up and face the reality of who you truly are and what you should truly be doing?AiR
Any examples of those who accomplished this metamorphosis into who we truly are?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

It's almost impossible to wake-up from our waking sleep.

You have to want to wake-up really badly, then you must be in the right conditions, then you must listen to someone who has woken-up before you.

In all of that you must have a finely tuned intuition.

Pretty-much impossible.

Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Is this like a veiled religious thing? Veiled religious things are tiresome. I have just about zero interest in that. For some reason it seems like general public philosophy interaction places online are full of veiled religious stuff. What I'm looking for is people who want to have discussions like we'd have in an epistemology or ontology class, say, at university. I enjoy that, but I've long been out of school and I no longer interact with others in an academic setting. So I'm looking for a surrogate.

Anyway, re "what you should truly be doing," that's a category error. There are no truth values for "should" statements (at least not for "foundational" ones.)
AiR

Post by AiR »

Dubious wrote: Any examples of those who accomplished this metamorphosis into who we truly are?
Naming a few of those who had accomplished this metamorphosis in the
past: Buddha, Jesus, Moses, Adi Shankaracharya, Ramana Maharshi, Vivekananda, and Ramakrishna Paramahamsa.

AiR