Why Live a Life of Illusion?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

AiR

Why Live a Life of Illusion?

Post by AiR »

Should we live a life of illusion? The question that comes to me is that if I know that the pizza in front of me is plastic, would I still pick that plastic pizza and put it on my plate and then admire it, smell it and look forward to eating it? When I know that it is a plastic pizza, then what is the point in dreaming of eating this “delicious” meal?

I know that this world is like a plastic pizza, it is not to be eaten; because this world is a transitory world, a temporary world. This world is not real! At the end, death will face me. I know it; I know that I am not this body, this mind - I am something else. I am the Energy that is inside, I am the Soul, the Divine Power, then why do I live a life of illusion? Why do I get so engrossed in this world, in buying properties and enjoying pleasures, building relationships that will eventually surmount to be nothing,; everything has to be left behind. It seems real today, like the plastic pizza is real in front of my eyes, but I can’t devour it, I can’t eat it, and similarly, I can’t have this world – I can’t because this world is not mine. It is like me checking into a hotel room and thinking that the hotel belongs to me. No, the hotel doesn’t belong to me; the room doesn’t belong to me. I am just a guest and I have to move on eventually. Life too is like that. I know I have to move on. Then why am I living this life of illusion? Should I not wake up? Should I not get on to truly living a life that is real? Should I not realize the truth?

AiR
attofishpi

Re: Why Live a Life of Illusion?

Post by attofishpi »

AiR wrote:I know I have to move on. Then why am I living this life of illusion? Should I not wake up? Should I not get on to truly living a life that is real? Should I not realize the truth?

AiR
Ooo Ooo. How can i become your disciple oh wise one, please tell me. This illusive life i must discard, please help me euthanase myself into the perfect light that you reflect and surely perpetuate for all eternity worshiping the words that spill from your keyboard over the internetz, you are the truth oh masterful one.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

AiR wrote:Should we live a life of illusion? The question that comes to me is that if I know that the pizza in front of me is plastic, would I still pick that plastic pizza and put it on my plate and then admire it, smell it and look forward to eating it? When I know that it is a plastic pizza, then what is the point in dreaming of eating this “delicious” meal?

I know that this world is like a plastic pizza, it is not to be eaten; because this world is a transitory world, a temporary world. This world is not real! At the end, death will face me. I know it; I know that I am not this body, this mind - I am something else. I am the Energy that is inside, I am the Soul, the Divine Power, then why do I live a life of illusion? Why do I get so engrossed in this world, in buying properties and enjoying pleasures, building relationships that will eventually surmount to be nothing,; everything has to be left behind. It seems real today, like the plastic pizza is real in front of my eyes, but I can’t devour it, I can’t eat it, and similarly, I can’t have this world – I can’t because this world is not mine. It is like me checking into a hotel room and thinking that the hotel belongs to me. No, the hotel doesn’t belong to me; the room doesn’t belong to me. I am just a guest and I have to move on eventually. Life too is like that. I know I have to move on. Then why am I living this life of illusion? Should I not wake up? Should I not get on to truly living a life that is real? Should I not realize the truth?

AiR
The illusion is that there is an 'I' living life.

Life is one seamless unitary flow of things appearing and disappearing.

'VERB LIFE'.... is all that's happening.

Nothing is real for a non-existent 'I' to realise, know, do, or wake up to..
although.... I's, realisations, knowings, doings, waking up's ...do apparently appear.

It's okay, the 'I's' are just thoughts/sensations arising nowhere...appearing as a world full of dream images.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:The illusion is that there is an 'I' living life.

Life is one seamless unitary flow of things appearing and disappearing.

'VERB LIFE'.... is all that's happening.

Nothing is real for a non-existent 'I' to realise, know, do, or wake up to..
although.... I's, realisations, knowings, doings, waking up's ...do apparently appear.

It's okay, the 'I's' are just thoughts/sensations arising nowhere...appearing as a world full of dream images.
So what?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:
So what?
So Why Live a Life of Illusion?

Because that's exactly what's happening.

And there ain't nothing you can do about it.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
So what?

So what?

You state there is nothing one can do about it.

Suicide is your great wise answer.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
So what?

So what?

Ah so you think suicide is the answer, you are so very wrong my friend...go figure!
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:
attofishpi wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:

So what?

Ah so you think suicide is the answer, you are so very wrong my friend...go figure!
You are asking us why would we continue to live a life that is an illusion and you are stating there is nothing we can do about it.

You truly have no idea just how ridiculous you sound do you?

I am suggesting suicide to you - someone that has a real issue with the nature of reality and realises there is nothing they can do about it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:
You are asking us why would we continue to live a life that is an illusion and you are stating there is nothing we can do about it.

You truly have no idea just how ridiculous you sound do you?

I am suggesting suicide to you - someone that has a real issue with the nature of reality and realises there is nothing they can do about it.
So suicide is going to be the final answer/solution to having an issue with living an illusion.

Hmm, let me see now, that which only exists as an illusion trying to escape it's own illusion, well that makes perfect sense thanks for that unsurpassable piece of wisdom attofishpi ... I must try that one day, it'd be like trying to distinguish my own shadow in full sunlight. First I'd have to distinguish the sun causing the shadow...hmm!!
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Dogfight.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Were one to discover that life is an illusion beyond their control and they no longer wished to live such a life then death would be
the only logical possibility. I would however accept the illusion and carry on living my life and let death take me when it wants to
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

surreptitious57 wrote:Were one to discover that life is an illusion beyond their control and they no longer wished to live such a life then death would be the only logical possibility. I would however accept the illusion and carry on living my life and let death take me when it wants to
I agree. These self absorbed nitwits that like to espouse that we are somehow confined to an existence that we should, but cant break free from are the epitome of hypocrisy. I would prefer they just die than keep reminding us that they have some secret knowledge that they CANT free us from!

AiR-Dont Ask ME = = IDIOTS
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

attofishpi wrote:
surreptitious57 wrote:Were one to discover that life is an illusion beyond their control and they no longer wished to live such a life then death would be the only logical possibility. I would however accept the illusion and carry on living my life and let death take me when it wants to
I agree. These self absorbed nitwits that like to espouse that we are somehow confined to an existence that we should, but cant break free from are the epitome of hypocrisy. I would prefer they just die than keep reminding us that they have some secret knowledge that they CANT free us from!

One can't get out of existence because one was never in it. Opposite is also true. One can't get in existence because one was never out of it.

Existence is this immediate, intimate, boundless, endless living I am-ness right here now. Everything else is just a bad translation.

I AM the last idiot.

''If you really understand zen you can use any book. You can use the Bible, you can use Alice in Wonderland.You can use the Dictionary..because the sound of the rain needs no translation.'' ~ Alan Watts
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Dontaskme wrote:
attofishpi wrote:

One can't get out of existence because one was never in it. Opposite is also true. One can't get in existence because one was never out of it.
Hence you are a keyboard typing contradiction that deserves some pity - but find it elsewhere since what i have experienced from our reality i have little left for nitwits like you.
Dontaskme wrote:Existence is this immediate, intimate, boundless, endless living I am-ness right here now. Everything else is just a bad translation.
And who is responsible for this bad translation (for you)?
Dontaskme wrote:I AM the last idiot.
No there are gazzilions just like you - the internet is awash with them.
surreptitious57

Post by surreptitious57 »

Dontaskme wrote:
One cant get out of existence because one was never in it. Opposite is also true. One cant get in existence because one was never out of it
That sounds very profound but is actually complete nonsense since it makes absolutely no sense at all but even so can you elaborate on it