Dilemma of fate

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

Dilemma of fate

Post by bahman »

The key question is that whether we can change our fate or not. To illustrate the dilemma consider two person X and Y, who X goes to Heaven and Y goes to Hell as the result of their actions. Now replace X by Y and vice versa at time of their births and you get that Y goes to Heaven and X goes to Hell. This basically shows that we have no control on our fates and question the concept of Heaven, Hell and God's foreknowledge.

Your Thought.
Last edited by bahman on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes' Choice

Re: Dilemma of fate

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bahman wrote:The key question is that whether we can change our fate or not. To illustrate the dilemma consider two person X and Y, who X goes to Heaven and Y goes to Hell as the result of their actions. Now replace X by Y and vice versa at time of their births and you get that Y goes to Heaven and X goes to Hell. This basically shows that we have no control on our fates and question the concept of Heaven, Hell and God's foreknowledge.

Your Thought.
Fate only exists in the mind of God. For the rest of us deterministic agents we are able to change according to the vicissitudes of life and change outcomes based on our motivations.

The future is unknowable and so fate is empty
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Some can, some can't, why prophecies often are faulty.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote: The key question is that whether we can change our fate or not. To illustrate the dilemma consider two person X and Y, who X goes to Heaven and Y goes to Hell as the result of their actions. Now replace X by Y and vice versa at time of their births and you get that Y goes to Heaven and X goes to Hell. This basically shows that we have no control on our fates and question the concept of Heaven, Hell and God's foreknowledge.

Your Thought.
Fate only exists in the mind of God. For the rest of us deterministic agents we are able to change according to the vicissitudes of life and change outcomes based on our motivations.

The fact that we don't know future doesn't change our fates. That is true if we are deterministic agents and it even is true if we are undeterministic agents since God knows future and there is only one future.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote: The key question is that whether we can change our fate or not. To illustrate the dilemma consider two person X and Y, who X goes to Heaven and Y goes to Hell as the result of their actions. Now replace X by Y and vice versa at time of their births and you get that Y goes to Heaven and X goes to Hell. This basically shows that we have no control on our fates and question the concept of Heaven, Hell and God's foreknowledge.

Your Thought.

The fact that we don't know future doesn't change our fates.
There is no such thing as fate.
We make our future each day.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

bahman wrote:The key question is that whether we can change our fate or not. To illustrate the dilemma consider two person X and Y, who X goes to Heaven and Y goes to Hell as the result of their actions. Now replace X by Y and vice versa at time of their births and you get that Y goes to Heaven and X goes to Hell. This basically shows that we have no control on our fates and question the concept of Heaven, Hell and God's foreknowledge.

Your Thought.
Fatalism is the idea that we can choose any action we like but any action we choose will ultimately end in the same fate. So we can say we have no control over our fate but our actions are free.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Ginkgo wrote:

Your Thought.
Fatalism is the idea that we can choose any action we like but any action we choose will ultimately end in the same fate. So we can say we have no control over our fate but our actions are free.
Fatalism means having free will for no reason. It is also a denial of determinism, since it holds that your actions have no impact, that whatever you do, you cannot alter fate, because it it written!
This is wonderfully exemplified in Lawrence of Arabia. when Lawrence returns to the desert to bring back a boy that others think was fated to die - Lawrence is later force to execute the boy for a crime, and has to hear "I told you so" from Auda Abu Tayi.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: Fate only exists in the mind of God. For the rest of us deterministic agents we are able to change according to the vicissitudes of life and change outcomes based on our motivations.

I thought you believe that we don't have free will. Do you believe on determinism? Do you believe God knows future? We have fate even if we have free will if you believe on God's foreknowledge.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Ginkgo wrote:

Your Thought.
I agree with what you stated.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Fatalism means having free will for no reason. It is also a denial of determinism, since it holds that your actions have no impact, that whatever you do, you cannot alter fate, because it it written!
This is wonderfully exemplified in Lawrence of Arabia. when Lawrence returns to the desert to bring back a boy that others think was fated to die - Lawrence is later force to execute the boy for a crime, and has to hear "I told you so" from Auda Abu Tayi.
Exactly what I was thinking. That scene from Lawrence of Arabia did spring to mind when I made my post, but I didn't think anyone would remember it.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote:
I thought you believe that we don't have free will. Do you believe on determinism? Do you believe God knows future? We have fate even if we have free will if you believe on God's foreknowledge.
The universe is deterministic. There is no God. There is not fate.

Chew it over.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Ginkgo wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking. That scene from Lawrence of Arabia did spring to mind when I made my post, but I didn't think anyone would remember it.
:)
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: There is no such thing as fate.

Chew it over.
Are you a part of universe, I mean are you deterministic?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote:

Chew it over.
Obviously.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
bahman wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote: The universe is deterministic. There is no God. There is not fate.

Chew it over.
Obviously.
So you have a fate whether there is or there is not a God. That is true because there is only one future which in principle can be known from the past.