God is a Concept...

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Bill Wiltrack

God is a Concept...

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Which is sooooo true.

I reflect upon individuals who are sent to prison who when upon reaching there are overwhelmed with a coming to god experience.

They find their faith or their faith is rejuvenated.

Often when we lose a loved one or someone close to us or when we experience a personal tragedy of another sort - we turn to god.

We immediately become faithful.

Then, on the other hand, when things are going well, or when things are exciting we generally lose our faith. When reflecting upon those time we may say we lost our way. - We gained a kingdom but lost our faith.

We turn to god to find mercy when life experience seems to become unbearable.

We turn away from god when we don't need him.

The wisdom of John Lennon...

Scott Mayers

Re: God is a Concept...

Post by Scott Mayers »

I like (liked, I guess is more appropriate) John Lennon. But his lyrics were popular for the very nature of obscurity that poets use. To this saying, I would restate it as follows: "Go(o)d is a concept by which we measure the Bad; Pleasure is a concept by which we measure Pain"

Duh. Literally it only means that to anything 'valued' by emotional standards requires the duality of extremes. You can't have any idea of what is "good" without contrasting it with "bad" nor "pleasure" without contrasting it with "pain".

However, the reverse may not be true. That is, to what may be initially absolutely "good", as some "God" suggests that if you judge its character by default as owning the source of all reality, it also OWNS the cause of all that is "bad"; But, if something originates, "bad", while not desirable by our personal preferences, such a state by itself may lack meaning but breaks no rule of consistency should what is "good" be derived from it because we interpret the trend from what is bad to good itself a justified improvement, .... a "good" thing.

This is how I derive an argument to why an "absolute nothing" as an origin is more rational in a similar way to assuming "absolute something" always existed. Logic by most assumes a default assumption of "consistency" through the "law of identity" that leads unfortunately to Godel's Incompleteness Theorem....that to any most detailed 'logic' (math is what he focused on), no system can be confidently able to cover, explain, or demonstrate ALL truths that exist consistently and thus, completely. If you begin with all consistency, nothing inconsistent to reality should exist which would be absurd.

Yet, reverse this. If you begin with absolute nothingness, in that it may seem "inconsistent" for us to feel is 'true', should it exist, it would also lack NO compulsion to even 'laws of consistency' that dictates it to require conforming since NO LAWS exist in absolute nothingness. However, should it just happen to evolve into containing a part of it as being "consistent", it doesn't exclude the "inconsistent" parts either, since that is by default perfectly inconsistent. So absolute nothingness is most rational as a complete and sound origin rather than absolute something.

I get your emotional vibe though. I still prefer lyricists to be most 'imperfect' being more obscure as they are because I can freely interpret what is lacking clarity to my own selfish interpretation.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Scott, I get your emotional vibe though. I too still prefer lyricists to be most 'imperfect' being more obscure as they are because I can freely interpret what is lacking clarity to my own selfish interpretation.

Scott, I looked for you on Facebook & LinkedIn. Don't think I saw your profile. Is there another social media site that you are on?

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:I reflect upon individuals who are sent to prison who when upon reaching there are overwhelmed with a coming to god experience. ...
Where do you get this stuff from?

What appears to happen is that they are there for some while before they meet someone who rejuvenates their faith or inculcates it.
Often when we lose a loved one or someone close to us or when we experience a personal tragedy of another sort - we turn to god.

We immediately become faithful.
Really? Well I'll have to take the word of a godbotherer about this as it appears to me that what actually happens is that those who have no faith in the first place just muddle along and those who have faith may lose it whereas those who had it sometimes regain it.
Then, on the other hand, when things are going well, or when things are exciting we generally lose our faith. When reflecting upon those time we may say we lost our way. - We gained a kingdom but lost our faith.
That right, well I'll take your godbothering word for it but my partner bothers 'God' but only when things are going well.
We turn to god to find mercy when life experience seems to become unbearable.
Many seem to turn away at that point? My partner never does this with her 'God'.
We turn away from god when we don't need him.
She must be an extra special godbotherer as she only turns to her 'God' to thank 'him' fpr what she's got.
The wisdom of John Lennon.
Really! Pop-stars for wisdom?
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Yeah,....got to tell ya...your scare quotes really aren't working anymore...AT ALL.

Never were too effective for you...

They just got dull - even duller than before.

Oh well,...If you care to take the time to make the effort I know it will pay off for you.

Superficial & dull...

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

:lol: Try writing a paragraph then.

Still, with a seven second attention span I can understand your problem.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

...um, this ACTUALLY WAS a deep philosophical topic at one time...may I officially invite YOU personally to actually add PHILOSOPHICAL CONTENT to the actual subject at hand! - as opposed to continually attacking the original poster directly.

Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Take a look, I did.

You as usual ignored what was said.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.

Scott, I looked for you on Facebook & LinkedIn. Don't think I saw your profile. Is there another social media site that you are on? [/size]
I don't use either.

It is already 'bad' for the Americans. But the privacy policies are even MORE horrendous for those of us outside of the U.S. as the 'agreements' basically completely disable any right of privacy to their company, third-parties, and the U.S. government among others who they allow to have access. I don't recommend ANYONE to use many of those services these days. Even forums and search engines are bad and we don't have the same freedoms that people presume we have these days.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Oh, Okay...I'll start getting the word out to the 1.2 BILLION people on FACEBOOK right now and the 250 MILLION members on LinkedIn.

{sarcasm off}

If you want to be a philosopher, a true philosopher, to ANY degree, the number one emotion that you must overcome is fear.

*Good luck in your quest...

Scott Mayers

Post by Scott Mayers »

And to what do think might be the most popular selling book of all time? (Hint: It relates to the title of this thread)

I don't pander to the crowd, thank you.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You're either not making sense right now or you have accidentally posted to this thread when you meant your last post to appear upon another thread.

vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

crap quotes.jpg
crap quotes.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 3291 times