How God could fail to convey His message?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

thedoc

Re: How God could fail to convey His message?

Post by thedoc »

BradburyPound wrote: "Oh, yes, and eat a little less fat."
Just curious, have you fallen for the cholesterol lie, The original study to support the cholesterol hypothesis was faulty. The investigator cherry picked the data to support his ideas, when the truth is that there is little connection between fat and heart disease.
Greta

Post by Greta »

thedoc wrote:
Greta wrote:Is it a gift for a boss to give her or his employees a job description before the performance reviews? That's just obvious business practice.
I don't see God as a boss, nor do I see living as a job, so for me the analogy doesn't work. I don't see The relationship between God and a person as a business.
Sure, this game can be easily adjusted to suit all types - a father should clearly tell his kids what is expected before punishing. A teacher should teach before setting exams.

However, we know it's not any god seeking punishment for our "sins", but other human beings. No god could possibly operate on such a trivial level. It would be akin to us punishing our molecules for imperfections.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote:
seeds wrote: I think that God’s implicit message to the world is quite clear:

Be fruitful and multiply and you will understand the reason for it all after you die.
Is there a critical amount required in the population before we get a revelation or do we just keep on multiplying in the meantime?
Nope. Just keep going, and before you know it, your thousands of descendents will be too dead to get the meaning either.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Just curious, have you fallen for the cholesterol lie, The original study to support the cholesterol hypothesis was faulty. The investigator cherry picked the data to support his ideas, when the truth is that there is little connection between fat and heart disease.
I do avoid shellfish though, as they have a lot of cholesterol itself in them. Mind, so do eggs, and I love eggs. But the yolk has lecithin, a cholesterol emulsifier (or so I rationalize my love of eggs lol)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I do avoid shellfish though, as they have a lot of cholesterol itself in them. Mind, so do eggs, and I love eggs. But the yolk has lecithin, a cholesterol emulsifier (or so I rationalize my love of eggs lol)
I don't restrict my diet at all, though my wife does, she has gotten some strange ideas about what I should not eat. Now I regret telling her what I've learned about myself, it seems like she is trying to keep me alive. If I'm around for awhile, it will be her fault. My father's cause of death was made as congestive heart failure, I have been diagnosed with CHF as well, so my family is very concerned with my health. When I was diagnosed, my wife said I'm getting a cell phone whether I wanted one or not, I really didn't want one, I call it my pocket watch that also gets phone calls.

BTW, I like shellfish too, and I do like eggs.

A few months ago i really upset my wife and youngest daughter. I mentioned that my father had been out mowing the lawn in the morning and came in and laid down on the couch for his usual afternoon nap, and had died in his sleep. I said that I sometimes think of that when I lay down for a nap in the afternoon, and they got really upset with me for even thinking about it.
Last edited by thedoc on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I don't restrict my diet at all, though my wife does, she has gotten some strange ideas about what I should not eat. Now I regret telling her what I've learned about myself, it seems like she is trying to keep me alive. If I'm around for awhile, it will be her fault.

BTW, I like shellfish too, and I do like eggs.

A few months ago i really upset my wife and youngest daughter. I mentioned that my father had been out mowing the lawn in the morning and came in and laid down on the couch for his usual afternoon nap, and had died in his sleep. I said that I sometimes think of that when I lay down for a nap in the afternoon, and they got really upset with me for even thinking about it.
Doc, I cut the lawn once in a fugue state, and woke in the hospital the next day. No memory of doing it and other things, so I feel for you. I also don't eat blood. Funny, since I don't have a covenant to adhere to.

PS. Dying in one's sleep, on a sofa, can't be all bad, can it? I can think of a lot worse scenarios. (Not to lessen the sadness of your father's passing, of course.)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: Doc, I cut the lawn once in a fugue state, and woke in the hospital the next day. No memory of doing it and other things, so I feel for you. I also don't eat blood. Funny, since I don't have a covenant to adhere to.
I like my steaks rare, but so many people think the red juice is blood, it isn't really, the blood has been drained out of the meat when the animal is killed. I don't have a problem with gravy, in fact I like it, even though some people call it blood sauce, it isn't really, it's just the juices that cook out of the meat.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Doc, I cut the lawn once in a fugue state, and woke in the hospital the next day. No memory of doing it and other things, so I feel for you. I also don't eat blood. Funny, since I don't have a covenant to adhere to.
I like my steaks rare, but so many people think the red juice is blood, it isn't really, the blood has been drained out of the meat when the animal is killed. I don't have a problem with gravy, in fact I like it, even though some people call it blood sauce, it isn't really, it's just the juices that cook out of the meat.
Yeah, I cheat. I'm only referring to blood sausage (pudding). White pudding is acceptable though lol.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: PS. Dying in one's sleep, on a sofa, can't be all bad, can it? I can think of a lot worse scenarios. (Not to lessen the sadness of your father's passing, of course.)
So can I, but I don't think my wife and daughter have thought as much about their own mortality, - since my diagnosis, I have. In fact my defibrillator has gone off a few times since it was implanted, and now I understand that each time I had died but the defibrillator has brought me back to life by restarting my heart. I don't have any illusions about what happened, but I am not that concerned about what could happen, I'm not as much concerned about it as I could be. In a way it's a bit like when I was in college and feeling trapped in that institution, then I discovered that I could transfer my credits to another school. It was liberating, I didn't move, but just the thought that I could, made a big difference.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

thedoc wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: PS. Dying in one's sleep, on a sofa, can't be all bad, can it? I can think of a lot worse scenarios. (Not to lessen the sadness of your father's passing, of course.)
So can I, but I don't think my wife and daughter have thought as much about their own mortality, - since my diagnosis, I have. In fact my defibrillator has gone off a few times since it was implanted, and now I understand that each time I had died but the defibrillator has brought me back to life by restarting my heart. I don't have any illusions about what happened, but I am not that concerned about what could happen, I'm not as much concerned about it as I could be. In a way it's a bit like when I was in college and feeling trapped in that institution, then I discovered that I could transfer my credits to another school. It was liberating, I didn't move, but just the thought that I could, made a big difference.
I hear ya doc. And in truth, I just felt a twinge of what your wife and daughter did. I like you, and the world will be less without you. At least this forum will. (Not to get all mushy or anything lol.)

Funny how I still miss Obvious Leo as well.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

Dalek Prime wrote: Not to get all mushy or anything lol.
Please don't, My grandkids call me GRUMPA.

We're keeping my daughters dog, and when the dog comes over, and lays her chin on my leg and wants to play, I ask her, "What did I do to you?" And she still wants to play.
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

What does this private chit chat conversation about what you eat or how you want to die on a couch have to do with the topic or... anything of public interest at all? :mrgreen: Maybe you should PM each other privately.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

thedoc wrote:
I saw a great programme last month from ARTE the French channel which de-bunks the cholesterol/diet heart disease hypothesis. I'd say it was still speculative, but I tend to agree; it has long been known that many people with high cholesterol who pursue a low cholesterol diet end up with high cholesterol regardless of their change in diet after a short period, since the body makes all the cholesterol it needs. Additionally there are several countries whose population have high cholesterol in their diet yet have low heart disease.

But eating less fat remains a good piece of advice, since gramme for gramme fat has twice the calories of protein and carbohydrates, yet does not satiate as effectively.
In our world of affluence, those with a propensity to put on weight are well advised to avoid as much fat as possible.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

BradburyPound wrote:
thedoc wrote:
I saw a great programme last month from ARTE the French channel which de-bunks the cholesterol/diet heart disease hypothesis. I'd say it was still speculative, but I tend to agree; it has long been known that many people with high cholesterol who pursue a low cholesterol diet end up with high cholesterol regardless of their change in diet after a short period, since the body makes all the cholesterol it needs. Additionally there are several countries whose population have high cholesterol in their diet yet have low heart disease.

But eating less fat remains a good piece of advice, since gramme for gramme fat has twice the calories of protein and carbohydrates, yet does not satiate as effectively.
In our world of affluence, those with a propensity to put on weight are well advised to avoid as much fat as possible.
Not true. People have got fatter and fatter on the 'low good fats, high trans fat/high carb' modern diet. It's refined sugar, manufactured 'trans fats' and white flour that are the problem, not good fats like unprocessed animal fat and the monounsaturated fat found in foods like avocado and olive oil.
seeds

Post by seeds »

Lacewing wrote:What does this private chit chat conversation about what you eat or how you want to die on a couch have to do with the topic or... anything of public interest at all? :mrgreen: Maybe you should PM each other privately.
I completely agree with Lacewing here.

Apparently, the phrase “derailing a thread” has absolutely no meaning to certain members of the forum (I blame thedoc for this latest episode).

You guys remind me of the dizzy hausfraus in a Monty Python skit. :P
_______