How God could fail to convey His message?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

BradburyPound

Re: How God could fail to convey His message?

Post by BradburyPound »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
thedoc wrote:
No, it is not good advice, good advice would be to balance the intake of calories and the expenditure of calories. If the intake and expenditure are balanced there will be little if any gain of weight. Fat is a good fuel for the body, sugar is a bad fuel.

Rubbish. That's the usual myth "Sugar is poison".
The fact is that every gramme of fat has to first be converted into sugar by the body, before it can be used to power the muscles and the brain.
The body can make all the fat it needs.

And as for balance of calories. The benefit of eating less fat, is, as I said above. 1) Each grammes of fat as TWICE the calories as either Carbs and Protein, 2) Fat does not provide a feeling of satiation, and so when you eat fat it is difficult for the body to know when enough is enough.

Some of the world's healthiest people subsist of Oats; a complex carbohydrate, and is bulky. It's hard to eat too much.
By contrast the same weight of cheese can have five times to calories and leaves you wanting more, being so appetising.

Obviously these are extremes, but the fact that you can get on without it, fat is not a necessary part of the diet.
It's more complicated than that. Eating the right fat can actually help you burn fat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/55772 ... -burn-fat/
This is not a website that I could trust.
It is overstated to say the least.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:

Rubbish. That's the usual myth "Sugar is poison".
The fact is that every gramme of fat has to first be converted into sugar by the body, before it can be used to power the muscles and the brain.
The body can make all the fat it needs.

And as for balance of calories. The benefit of eating less fat, is, as I said above. 1) Each grammes of fat as TWICE the calories as either Carbs and Protein, 2) Fat does not provide a feeling of satiation, and so when you eat fat it is difficult for the body to know when enough is enough.

Some of the world's healthiest people subsist of Oats; a complex carbohydrate, and is bulky. It's hard to eat too much.
By contrast the same weight of cheese can have five times to calories and leaves you wanting more, being so appetising.

Obviously these are extremes, but the fact that you can get on without it, fat is not a necessary part of the diet.
It's more complicated than that. Eating the right fat can actually help you burn fat.

Livestrong is pretty good. It doesn't tend to overstate things. I can usually tell the dodgy sites, and that one doesn't try to sell you anything.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It's more complicated than that. Eating the right fat can actually help you burn fat.

Livestrong is pretty good. It doesn't tend to overstate things. I can usually tell the dodgy sites, and that one doesn't try to sell you anything.
The key phrase in the text is "“When you don’t have any fat in your diet its like you don’t have fuel to burn calories,” Glassman says." This is bogus, as when you are on a diet your body begins to make your own body fat available which provides what the body needs to make energy.
Dumb evolution is smarter than Glassman.
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
The key phrase in the text is "“When you don’t have any fat in your diet its like you don’t have fuel to burn calories,” Glassman says." This is bogus, as when you are on a diet your body begins to make your own body fat available which provides what the body needs to make energy.
It's only quoting her. That doesn't mean the whole site is rubbish. And people do seem to burn fat faster by eating more fat and less carbs. Restricting your food intake too much slows the metabolism.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Livestrong is pretty good. It doesn't tend to overstate things. I can usually tell the dodgy sites, and that one doesn't try to sell you anything.
It's only quoting her. That doesn't mean the whole site is rubbish. And people do seem to burn fat faster by eating more fat and less carbs. Restricting your food intake too much slows the metabolism.
VT, you are arguing with someone who doesn't understand metabolism or how the body works, so there is no hope of convincing him, but your posts might be instructive for any lurkers that are reading the thread.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
VT, you are arguing with someone who doesn't understand metabolism or how the body works, so there is no hope of convincing him, but your posts might be instructive for any lurkers that are reading the thread.
It's something that I take a lot of interest in. It used to be thought that low-fat, high carbs was the way to go. My instinct has always been that it's not true, but now the science is showing the benefit of good fats and low carbs. People don't seem to realise too that sugar is pure carb.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

thedoc wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
You don't know me.
Please keep your childish ad homs to yourself.
I'll wager I understand a lot more about diet than you.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It's only quoting her. That doesn't mean the whole site is rubbish. And people do seem to burn fat faster by eating more fat and less carbs. Restricting your food intake too much slows the metabolism.
It's something that I take a lot of interest in. It used to be thought that low-fat, high carbs was the way to go. My instinct has always been that it's not true, but now the science is showing the benefit of good fats and low carbs. People don't seem to realise too that sugar is pure carb.
Without sugar we would be unable to move. You talk about carbs as if they are poison.
If you had no glucose in your blood you would simply die in seconds.

The cleanest form of energy metabolism is from carbohydrates, as the carbon is breathed out as CO2, and the the rest is water. Proteins and fact have other chemicals that have to be shifted from the blood, which are toxic.

There is nothing more faddy than diets. New diets come out several times a year, many of them rehashed old diets.
But the fact remains, all diets work in exactly the same way: that is restricting the intake of calories to lower than the number of calories burned by the body.
The article you linked is risible, as are most of the diets that recommend this that or the other.
Fat people have all the fat they need and more. If they ate less than they burned then the fat in their bodies would burn. Some diets will suit you better than others but they can ONLY work by calorie restriction. They suit people differently because of their lifestyles and current eating habits.
But the most effective diets restrict calories by increasing bulk, and rejecting high calorie and low satiating foods.
Hunger is felt in two ways.
1) Low blood sugar.
2) Empty stomach.
If you eat fat, you can keep eating it until the cows come home as it takes the body a long time to convert it to blood sugar to achieve satiation. Each gramme of fat is double that of carbs and protein. It does not take a PhD in biology to work this out.
Complex carbs such as oats, satiate more quickly and also have the benefit of gradual release through the GI tract. The fibre also helps you fill up and gets rid of your hunger.
There is no finer diet that porridge made with skimmed milk.
Protein has a role to play in satiation but fat does not. A fat person can diet for months without eating a single gramme of fat, even when their fat reserves are completely gone the body MAKES ALL THE FAT IT NEEDS from protein and carbs.

As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
The Hollywood Diet, otherwise known as Atkins recommends zero carbs. Steak and salad it has been called.
This works because the body is forced to metabolise protein and fat into energy. This is an inefficent and dirty process, leaving the blood full of esthers, nitrognous waste, and free radicals, all of which are toxic. For young healthy people this can work well for a short time, but is not recommended for long term, and never for people with a range of conditions from gout to circulation problems, weak heart, weak kidneys.
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Without sugar we would be unable to move. You talk about carbs as if they are poison.
If you had no glucose in your blood you would simply die in seconds.

The cleanest form of energy metabolism is from carbohydrates, as the carbon is breathed out as CO2, and the the rest is water. Proteins and fact have other chemicals that have to be shifted from the blood, which are toxic.

There is nothing more faddy than diets. New diets come out several times a year, many of them rehashed old diets.
But the fact remains, all diets work in exactly the same way: that is restricting the intake of calories to lower than the number of calories burned by the body.
The article you linked is risible, as are most of the diets that recommend this that or the other.
Fat people have all the fat they need and more. If they ate less than they burned then the fat in their bodies would burn. Some diets will suit you better than others but they can ONLY work by calorie restriction. They suit people differently because of their lifestyles and current eating habits.
But the most effective diets restrict calories by increasing bulk, and rejecting high calorie and low satiating foods.
Hunger is felt in two ways.
1) Low blood sugar.
2) Empty stomach.
If you eat fat, you can keep eating it until the cows come home as it takes the body a long time to convert it to blood sugar to achieve satiation. Each gramme of fat is double that of carbs and protein. It does not take a PhD in biology to work this out.
Complex carbs such as oats, satiate more quickly and also have the benefit of gradual release through the GI tract. The fibre also helps you fill up and gets rid of your hunger.
There is no finer diet that porridge made with skimmed milk.
Protein has a role to play in satiation but fat does not. A fat person can diet for months without eating a single gramme of fat, even when their fat reserves are completely gone the body MAKES ALL THE FAT IT NEEDS from protein and carbs.

As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
The Hollywood Diet, otherwise known as Atkins recommends zero carbs. Steak and salad it has been called.
This works because the body is forced to metabolise protein and fat into energy. This is an inefficent and dirty process, leaving the blood full of esthers, nitrognous waste, and free radicals, all of which are toxic. For young healthy people this can work well for a short time, but is not recommended for long term, and never for people with a range of conditions from gout to circulation problems, weak heart, weak kidneys.
You talk about fat as if it is poison. You don't know me, and you are making all kinds of assumptions about me. I like whole grain rolled oats for breakfast, and I wouldn't ruin it with that milk-flavoured water crap. Only full cream milk will do. I even add a bit of cream :) You aren't telling me anything I don't already know, but I would wager that a diet of steak and salad would be healthier than one entirely made up of oats--you can put all kinds of things in a salad :D I think you are just arguing for the sake of it. I've never known any man who took the slightest interest in diet, until he was staring death in the face.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

BradburyPound wrote: As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
You talk about fat as if it is poison. You don't know me, and you are making all kinds of assumptions about me. I like whole grain rolled oats for breakfast, and I wouldn't ruin it with that milk-flavoured water crap. Only full cream milk will do. I even add a bit of cream :) You aren't telling me anything I don't already know, but I would wager that a diet of steak and salad would be healthier than one entirely made up of oats--you can put all kinds of things in a salad :D I think you are just arguing for the sake of it. I've never known any man who took the slightest interest in diet, until he was staring death in the face.
Gout is a form of arthritis that occurs in the feet and it's Uric acid, not nitric.

I agree with the assessment of low fat milk and if I were to drink milk it would be whole milk which is what I grew up on.

VT, let me introduce myself as one man who is very much interested in diet, especially weight gain or loss, even though I have no problem with weight myself. My wife is trying to loose some weight so I try to learn as much as I can, to help her make good decisions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat

from the article,
"Some fatty acids that are set free by the digestion of fats are called essential because they cannot be synthesized in the body from simpler constituents."
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
Gout is a form of arthritis that occurs in the feet and it's Uric acid, not nitric.
Clever of you to spot that. I hope your wife is successful in her endeavours. It certainly gets a lot harder as you get older.
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

thedoc wrote:
Clever of you to spot that. I hope your wife is successful in her endeavours. It certainly gets a lot harder as you get older.
Thankyou, I've had some form of arthritis for as long as I can remember and recently it flared up as gout. When I have something myself I tend to learn as much about it as I can. I think it's interesting that the conventional wisdom is that gout is caused by diet yet there are some who claim that diet will not control it. Of course the medical professional who said that diet will not control gout also said that it wasn't gout till you couldn't walk, but that is not what the podiatrist said.

I will be 70 in a few days and my wife will follow me in June.
vegetariantaxidermy

thedoc wrote:
thedoc wrote:
Thankyou, I've had some form of arthritis for as long as I can remember and recently it flared up as gout. When I have something myself I tend to learn as much about it as I can. I think it's interesting that the conventional wisdom is that gout is caused by diet yet there are some who claim that diet will not control it. Of course the medical professional who said that diet will not control gout also said that it wasn't gout till you couldn't walk, but that is not what the podiatrist said.

I will be 70 in a few days and my wife will follow me in June.
Gout is very painful. I remember my grandfather having it. The best thing about the internet is you can look up anything you want, and find out the best foods to eat and diet plans for whatever ailment you have, and for prevention. Mind you, with the number of supposed 'super-foods' available it's a wonder anyone ever gets sick. :)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Mind you, with the number of supposed 'super-foods' available it's a wonder anyone ever gets sick. :)
there are 2 things that are happening, people are living longer so more people are living long enough to encounter the diseases of old age. And there is more effort to cure or treat these diseases, so the overall amount of sickness is not changing much.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

thedoc wrote:
BradburyPound wrote: As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
Gout, though it expresses itself in the joints, it is unlike all other forms of arthritis, and is primarily a problem of diet and metabolism. When Protein is used by the body in the absence or shortage of carbohydrates, it renders nitrates into the blood, which changes to uric acid, then urea then urine. Due to hereditary and other dietary factors the chemical pathway is blocked and excess of nitrates in the blood can turn to uric acid in the lower extremities.
The point being that too much protein is harmful. Individuals can be prone to gout but people careless about hydration and or eating too much meat (particularly read meat and seafood).

If you have ever noticed your piss being darker, it is due to eating too little carbohydrate; dehydration; and too much protein.