How God could fail to convey His message?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

BradburyPound

Re: How God could fail to convey His message?

Post by BradburyPound »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
thedoc wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Clever of you to spot that. I hope your wife is successful in her endeavours. It certainly gets a lot harder as you get older.
Thankyou, I've had some form of arthritis for as long as I can remember and recently it flared up as gout. When I have something myself I tend to learn as much about it as I can. I think it's interesting that the conventional wisdom is that gout is caused by diet yet there are some who claim that diet will not control it. Of course the medical professional who said that diet will not control gout also said that it wasn't gout till you couldn't walk, but that is not what the podiatrist said.

I will be 70 in a few days and my wife will follow me in June.
Gout is very painful. I remember my grandfather having it. The best thing about the internet is you can look up anything you want, and find out the best foods to eat and diet plans for whatever ailment you have, and for prevention. Mind you, with the number of supposed 'super-foods' available it's a wonder anyone ever gets sick. :)
There is no such thing as a 'superfood". All such claims turn out to be little more that advertising hype.

Gout is extremely painful. Liken it to someone ripping off your big toe and rubbing the raw joint with sandpaper and you will be somewhere near. The cure is to have an injection directly into the joint of steroids. As you can imagine the pain of that alone is great, and administered without anaesthetic is nothing to the pain of the gout.
Allopurinol taken regularly addresses the problem of the nitrogen being converted from uric acid to urine.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It's something that I take a lot of interest in. It used to be thought that low-fat, high carbs was the way to go. My instinct has always been that it's not true, but now the science is showing the benefit of good fats and low carbs. People don't seem to realise too that sugar is pure carb.
Without sugar we would be unable to move. You talk about carbs as if they are poison.
If you had no glucose in your blood you would simply die in seconds.

The cleanest form of energy metabolism is from carbohydrates, as the carbon is breathed out as CO2, and the the rest is water. Proteins and fact have other chemicals that have to be shifted from the blood, which are toxic.

There is nothing more faddy than diets. New diets come out several times a year, many of them rehashed old diets.
But the fact remains, all diets work in exactly the same way: that is restricting the intake of calories to lower than the number of calories burned by the body.
The article you linked is risible, as are most of the diets that recommend this that or the other.
Fat people have all the fat they need and more. If they ate less than they burned then the fat in their bodies would burn. Some diets will suit you better than others but they can ONLY work by calorie restriction. They suit people differently because of their lifestyles and current eating habits.
But the most effective diets restrict calories by increasing bulk, and rejecting high calorie and low satiating foods.
Hunger is felt in two ways.
1) Low blood sugar.
2) Empty stomach.
If you eat fat, you can keep eating it until the cows come home as it takes the body a long time to convert it to blood sugar to achieve satiation. Each gramme of fat is double that of carbs and protein. It does not take a PhD in biology to work this out.
Complex carbs such as oats, satiate more quickly and also have the benefit of gradual release through the GI tract. The fibre also helps you fill up and gets rid of your hunger.
There is no finer diet that porridge made with skimmed milk.
Protein has a role to play in satiation but fat does not. A fat person can diet for months without eating a single gramme of fat, even when their fat reserves are completely gone the body MAKES ALL THE FAT IT NEEDS from protein and carbs.

As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
The Hollywood Diet, otherwise known as Atkins recommends zero carbs. Steak and salad it has been called.
This works because the body is forced to metabolise protein and fat into energy. This is an inefficent and dirty process, leaving the blood full of esthers, nitrognous waste, and free radicals, all of which are toxic. For young healthy people this can work well for a short time, but is not recommended for long term, and never for people with a range of conditions from gout to circulation problems, weak heart, weak kidneys.
You talk about fat as if it is poison..
Not a vital part of the diet for anyone who is over weight.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

thedoc wrote: "Some fatty acids that are set free by the digestion of fats are called essential because they cannot be synthesized in the body from simpler constituents."
This would be true for anyone without any body fat.
That's the whole point though. We are all a bit over weight, and have plenty of fatty acids.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
Without sugar we would be unable to move. You talk about carbs as if they are poison.
If you had no glucose in your blood you would simply die in seconds.

The cleanest form of energy metabolism is from carbohydrates, as the carbon is breathed out as CO2, and the the rest is water. Proteins and fact have other chemicals that have to be shifted from the blood, which are toxic.

There is nothing more faddy than diets. New diets come out several times a year, many of them rehashed old diets.
But the fact remains, all diets work in exactly the same way: that is restricting the intake of calories to lower than the number of calories burned by the body.
The article you linked is risible, as are most of the diets that recommend this that or the other.
Fat people have all the fat they need and more. If they ate less than they burned then the fat in their bodies would burn. Some diets will suit you better than others but they can ONLY work by calorie restriction. They suit people differently because of their lifestyles and current eating habits.
But the most effective diets restrict calories by increasing bulk, and rejecting high calorie and low satiating foods.
Hunger is felt in two ways.
1) Low blood sugar.
2) Empty stomach.
If you eat fat, you can keep eating it until the cows come home as it takes the body a long time to convert it to blood sugar to achieve satiation. Each gramme of fat is double that of carbs and protein. It does not take a PhD in biology to work this out.
Complex carbs such as oats, satiate more quickly and also have the benefit of gradual release through the GI tract. The fibre also helps you fill up and gets rid of your hunger.
There is no finer diet that porridge made with skimmed milk.
Protein has a role to play in satiation but fat does not. A fat person can diet for months without eating a single gramme of fat, even when their fat reserves are completely gone the body MAKES ALL THE FAT IT NEEDS from protein and carbs.

As adults we need very little protein. If we have too much the body uses it for energy and this releases Nitrogenous waste into the blood causing gout (nitric acid crystals in the joints) and putting massive pressure on the kidneys to flush the ammonia from the blood. Protein has been recommended to kill hunger but does not suit everyone.
The Hollywood Diet, otherwise known as Atkins recommends zero carbs. Steak and salad it has been called.
This works because the body is forced to metabolise protein and fat into energy. This is an inefficent and dirty process, leaving the blood full of esthers, nitrognous waste, and free radicals, all of which are toxic. For young healthy people this can work well for a short time, but is not recommended for long term, and never for people with a range of conditions from gout to circulation problems, weak heart, weak kidneys.
You talk about fat as if it is poison..
We will have to agree to disagree on that.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: You talk about fat as if it is poison..
I can offer you one olive branch on this. Omega-3 fatty acid is the ONLY fatty acid that the human body cannot synthesise, by itself.
But the amount you need is so small that it is almost impossible to avoid fat enough to get a deficiency in it.
Having a fat free diet is really hard, as most foods have some fat in them.
But I lived for two years, aiming for a zero fat diet. I lost 3 stone and was the healthiest I'd ever been in my life.

But just having a low fat meal with a bit of fish once in a while was enough to give me all the omega-3 I needed. My allowance of protein required that I could simply not avoid some fat.
Low fat muesli with a walnut would do the same thing.

My problem is that I like my food and those two years were fucking boring. But as for pretending to yourself that you need to eat fat. That's just silly.
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
I can offer you one olive branch on this. Omega-3 fatty acid is the ONLY fatty acid that the human body cannot synthesise, by itself.
But the amount you need is so small that it is almost impossible to avoid fat enough to get a deficiency in it.
But I lived for two years, aiming for a zero fat diet. I lost 3 stone and was the healthiest I'd ever been in my life.

But just having a low fat meal with a bit of fish once in a while was enough to give me all the omega-3 I needed. My allowance of protein required that I could simply not avoid some fat.

My problem is that I like my food and those two years were fucking boring. But as for pretending to yourself that you need to eat fat. That's just silly.
It doesn't matter what site I post you will only 'pooh pooh' it. So it worked for you. Good for you. There are plenty of others who claim the opposite.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: We will have to agree to disagree on that.

It doesn't matter what site I post you will only 'pooh pooh' it. So it worked for you. Good for you. There are plenty of others who claim the opposite.
It would be nice once in a while to get the feeling that people on this forum read past the first line of any posts.

But the truth is simple enough the easiest way to reduce calories (ultimately the ONLY way to loose weight), is to consciously reject food with fat in it, and you will come to no harm whatever.
In a world where fat is loaded onto food, and thrown at in in every TV advert, advising people to eat fat is ridiculous, when the body's fat needs are so low as to be near impossible to acquire deficiency.
When you realise that one of the most commonly available sources of ALA is leafy vegetables I don't think I really need to argue further.
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:

It would be nice once in a while to get the feeling that people on this forum read past the first line of any posts.

But the truth is simple enough the easiest way to reduce calories (ultimately the ONLY way to loose weight), is to consciously reject food with fat in it, and you will come to no harm whatever.
In a world where fat is loaded onto food, and thrown at in in every TV advert, advising people to eat fat is ridiculous, when the body's fat needs are so low as to be near impossible to acquire deficiency.
When you realise that one of the most commonly available sources of ALA is leafy vegetables I don't think I really need to argue further.
Ever heard of the cake diet? :D
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: It doesn't matter what site I post you will only 'pooh pooh' it. So it worked for you. Good for you. There are plenty of others who claim the opposite.

Do tell!
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:

Do tell!
Apparently you eat cake for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's really only calorie restriction. Most people will lose weight on 1200 calories per day.
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Ever heard of the cake diet? :D
Do tell!
Apparently you eat cake for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's really only calorie restriction. Most people will lose weight on 1200 calories per day.
Sadly that's not much cake.
I made a great Xmas cake this year. Mary Berry recipe, soaked in brandy, marzipan, icing the works. Put on 6lbs!!
I don't think I could survive on three thin slices a day.
Some foods are appetising!
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
Do tell!
I made a great Xmas cake this year. Mary Berry recipe, soaked in brandy, marzipan, icing the works. Put on 6lbs!!
Yum. The last time I made a xmas cake was when I was about 12. I soaked the fruit for days in brandy. I don't remember what it tasted like but my mother still talks about it as the best xmas cake she's ever tasted. It was a lot of work. I used to do most of the baking for the family (only because I enjoyed it) but I don't remember eating any of it. :)
BradburyPound

Post by BradburyPound »

BradburyPound wrote:
vegetariantaxidermy wrote: Apparently you eat cake for breakfast lunch and dinner. It's really only calorie restriction. Most people will lose weight on 1200 calories per day.
Yum. The last time I made a xmas cake was when I was about 12. I soaked the fruit for days in brandy. I don't remember what it tasted like but my mother still talks about it as the best xmas cake she's ever tasted. It was a lot of work. I used to do most of the baking for the family (only because I enjoyed it) but I don't remember eating any of it. :)
Are you a person that does Xmas? I don't much. Don't send cards, but just a few gifts with loved ones. Minimal on the decs too.
vegetariantaxidermy

BradburyPound wrote:
BradburyPound wrote:
Are you a person that does Xmas? I don't much. Don't send cards, but just a few gifts with loved ones. Minimal on the decs too.
I don't send cards. It's just a small family gathering now. I usually do all the food, since no one else seems to be much of a cook. I have the turkey down to a fine art. :)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

seeds wrote:
Lacewing wrote:What does this private chit chat conversation about what you eat or how you want to die on a couch have to do with the topic or... anything of public interest at all? :mrgreen: Maybe you should PM each other privately.
I completely agree with Lacewing here.

Apparently, the phrase “derailing a thread” has absolutely no meaning to certain members of the forum (I blame thedoc for this latest episode).

You guys remind me of the dizzy hausfraus in a Monty Python skit. :P
_______
Actually, this thread is about conveying messages, no? And that's exactly what doc and I are doing; conveying messages. Highly topical.

We are just conveying messages you are not interested in, hence your chagrin.