Are all believers in God automatically idol worshipers?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

All believers in God are following an entity that they only know by what other people have said about that God. Few, if any, know their God from apotheosis or first-hand information.

That fact makes whoever that God is, an idol.

It must be so, as what is believed is not a known or real entity. Believers have no real or personal knowledge or experience of their God. All a believer can have is faith in whichever God they are idolizing based on what others have said.

Do you, as a believer, recognize that you are an idol worshiper?

Regards
DL
Harbal

Re: Are all believers in God automatically idol worshipers?

Post by Harbal »

Greatest I am wrote:Are all believers in God automatically idol worshipers?

All believers in God are following an entity that they only know by what other people have said about that God. Few, if any, know their God from apotheosis or first-hand information.

It must be so, as what is believed is not a known or real entity. Believers have no real or personal knowledge or experience of their God. All a believer can have is faith in whichever God they are idolizing based on what others have said.

Regards
DL
for one thing: If there were a God would it be unreasonable to idolise him? Also, there must be those who believe there must be a God but neither worship him nor have a definite impression of his nature. You can't just take all believers and clump them all together as being alike.
Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

Doesn't the Bible say that God is a jealous God who doesn't tolerate idol worship?

PhilX
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:Doesn't the Bible say that God is a jealous God who doesn't tolerate idol worship?

PhilX
Yes, yet all who believe in a God can only be idol worshipers of what other humans have said of God.

Most believers will not admit that they are idol worshiping the mental construct that they have invented for themselves from the words of other people and not of anything of a real God.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Harbal wrote:

Regards
DL
for one thing: If there were a God would it be unreasonable to idolise him? Also, there must be those who believe there must be a God but neither worship him nor have a definite impression of his nature. You can't just take all believers and clump them all together as being alike.
Apologies.

I need to leave at present but will answer in detail when I return.

Regards
DL
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Not necessarily. But I would say it is probably true with goddesses. Why do you think so many male college students hang pictures of centerfold spreads? They are simply looking forward to participating in an ancient ritual of idol worship.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Harbal wrote:[
quote="Greatest I am"]Are all believers in God automatically idol worshipers?

Regards
DL
for one thing: If there were a God would it be unreasonable to idolise him?
It would be reasonable only if we knew why we were idolizing him for his works.

Gods do what they do and humans do what we do. Why does one group need to idolise anyone?

God is said to be the epitome of all characteristics and all powerful etc. Would such an entity want adoration. Not likely, so why should man give it?
Also, there must be those who believe there must be a God but neither worship him nor have a definite impression of his nature.

Some may believe by faith alone but if it is the God who has a hell, then thy would be forced to worship.
You can't just take all believers and clump them all together as being alike.
[/quote]

I cannot see why I cannot clump all believers who believe in imaginary supernatural Gods in one category.

That category would be in my delusional file.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Nick_A wrote:
Not necessarily. But I would say it is probably true with goddesses. Why do you think so many male college students hang pictures of centerfold spreads? They are simply looking forward to participating in an ancient ritual of idol worship.
Worship is not the word I would use for what those students wish to do with and to those centerfold models.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Nick_A wrote:
Worship is not the word I would use for what those students wish to do with and to those centerfold models.

Regards
DL
No - but look at it another way. PRAYER, is just verbal masturbation! :)
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
Nick_A wrote:

Regards
DL
No - but look at it another way. PRAYER, is just verbal masturbation! :)
No argument.

I can understand when there is some challenge heading in someone's way, that that might cause even a non-believer to hope enough to give a quick prayer, stemming from hope and not faith. But to pray regularly without results brings Einstein's word of doing the same thing while expecting a different result as insanity to mind.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
No argument.

I can understand when there is some challenge heading in someone's way, that that might cause even a non-believer to hope enough to give a quick prayer, stemming from hope and not faith. But to pray regularly without results brings Einstein's word of doing the same thing while expecting a different result as insanity to mind.

Regards
DL
When something hard comes up in your life one ritual is as good as another. At least real masturbation offers relief of some kind.
Greatest I am

Post by Greatest I am »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
No argument.

Regards
DL
When something hard comes up in your life one ritual is as good as another. At least real masturbation offers relief of some kind.
We are speaking of things of the mind and spirit, not the body.

But yes, that mental masturbation is what I was speaking of and even an atheist might turn to it one rare occasion.

Regards
DL
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Greatest I am wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Greatest I am wrote:
No argument.

Regards
DL
We are speaking of things of the mind and spirit, not the body.

But yes, that mental masturbation is what I was speaking of and even an atheist might turn to it one rare occasion.

Regards
DL
1) mind and body are one. They are seamlessly joined.
2) Masturbation is good for the mind as it frees you from disabling desire.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

LOL!!! ..are you actually aware of what you are saying, or ..is this a bad drunken stooper babble writing?
Lacewing

Post by Lacewing »

Greatest I am wrote:believers in God are following an entity that they only know by what other people have said about that God.
HexHammer wrote:LOL!!! ..are you actually aware of what you are saying, or ..is this a bad drunken stooper babble writing?
Hey Hex, maybe your own "bad drunken stupor" makes everything sound like babble to you. I think G.I.A. has made some good points. Clearly, a lot of theism is an intoxicated brew of ideas which are worshipped (sometimes manically) without question. And all sorts of symbols are involved, which people plaster all over the place, and bow down to... rather than cherishing the sacred spirit in another human being who doesn't share the same belief. What ELSE can that be than IDOL worship?