Not another f@cking thread on atheism.

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

uwot

Not another f@cking thread on atheism.

Post by uwot »

What atheists say;
There is no evidence of god.
What theists hear:
There is evidence of no god.
marjoram_blues

Re: Not another f@cking thread on atheism.

Post by marjoram_blues »

uwot wrote:What atheists say;
What theists hear:
You know wot, uwot, I do believe you are being a devil.

And...

I do believe that this forum would benefit from a decent introductory stickie describing what 'Philosophy of Religion' entails.
But I do believe I am repeating myself here.
I do believe I am repeating myself here...
uwot

Post by uwot »

Well, everyone's philosophy of religion is different, and all power to them. But academically, it is the study of the various arguments* that attempt to support belief in some old god or other and then dismissing them as utter cobblers.
*Ontological. Teleological. Design. Irreducible complexity. Morality and anything else I've forgotten.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Everything you need to know about this topic was written in 1927.

http://www2.fiu.edu/~sabar/enc3311/Why% ... ussell.pdf
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

uwot wrote:Well, everyone's philosophy of religion is different, and all power to them. But academically, it is the study of the various arguments* that attempt to support belief in some old god or other and then dismissing them as utter cobblers.
*Ontological. Teleological. Design. Irreducible complexity. Morality and anything else I've forgotten.
Atheism is simply yet another belief system. Like Theism there is no "proof" of it in the scientific sense either way.

The most scientific approach to religion is simply agnosticism -- these are the people that scientifically cry for a sign from heaven first.

Atheists and Agnostics are not hedging their bets however and they have the most to lose if they are wrong.

Theists have nothing to lose if they are wrong.

So from the perspective of a probability model or even a contingency plan, Atheism and Agnosticism are both risky and therefore foolish, not to mention ungrateful.

I suppose the ungratefulness is what insults and angers the God(s) most. They (the God(s)) based on what is written about them by Religionists (Moses, St. Peter, St. Paul, St. John, Muhammad, etc.) want to be credited for their work.

It matters less if you worshipped Allah but Jesus is Lord. As long as you did not murder any infidels you should be fine, I think, at least according to Vatican 2.
uwot

Post by uwot »

yiostheoy wrote:Atheism is simply yet another belief system. Like Theism there is no "proof" of it in the scientific sense either way.
No of isn't. I refer you to my first post:
What atheists say;
What theists hear:
I do not believe that there is no evidence for god, I know full well that there is nothing that is offered as evidence which is not logically unsound, or does not have an alternative explanation.
If people wish to interpret any datum as evidence for their god, that is entirely their choice; there is nothing that demands that we interpret is as the handiwork of some supernatural being.
yiostheoy

Post by yiostheoy »

uwot wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:Atheism is simply yet another belief system. Like Theism there is no "proof" of it in the scientific sense either way.
No of isn't. I refer you to my first post:
What atheists say;
What theists hear:
I do not believe that there is no evidence for god, I know full well that there is nothing that is offered as evidence which is not logically unsound, or does not have an alternative explanation.
If people wish to interpret any datum as evidence for their god, that is entirely their choice; there is nothing that demands that we interpret is as the handiwork of some supernatural being.
I saw your first post.

It is crap.

With that kind of crap clogging up your mind you are never going to be able to think straight -- philosophy or no.
uwot

Post by uwot »

yiostheoy wrote:I saw your first post.

It is crap.
That's a bit strong. Can you explain why it is crap?
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

uwot wrote:
yiostheoy wrote:I saw your first post.

It is crap.
That's a bit strong. Can you explain why it is crap?
Because you don't agree with him. You should know by now that he knows better than you what you don't believe . he has the ability to look beyond time and space and see God. He keeps touching his higher self. He is basically better than you. So obviously He Knows stuff. Every man who has a spiritual side must believe and keep looking for invisible beings. That is man's true function. You have no such inclination. You don't keep touching your higher self. What the f@ck do you know about anything?
Walker

Post by Walker »

uwot wrote:What atheists say;
What theists hear:
You come to see what you want to see. You come to see but you never come to know. - Kinky Friedman

There was a huge flood in a village. One man said to everyone as they evacuated, “I’ll stay! God will save me!”

The flood got higher and a boat came, and the man in it said “Come on mate, get in!” “No” replied the man. “God will save me!”

The flood got very high now and the man had to stand on the roof of his house. A helicopter soon came and the man offered him help. “No, God will save me!” he said.

Eventually the man drowned. He got by the gates of heaven and he said to God, “Why didn’t you save me?”

God replied, “For goodness sake! I sent a boat and a helicopter. What more do you want!”
uwot

Post by uwot »

Indeed. I told the very same joke about 6 months ago. There was in fact an earthquake in Lisbon, in the 17th or 18th century. I forget the exact date, but google Lisbon earthquake, if you are interested. It happened in one of the most pious capitals on a Sunday morning, just as the faithful were praising their protector. Thousands were killed in falling churches. Many others wondered what sort of god would do this to his biggest fans.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

yiostheoy wrote:
uwot wrote:Well, everyone's philosophy of religion is different, and all power to them. But academically, it is the study of the various arguments* that attempt to support belief in some old god or other and then dismissing them as utter cobblers.

It matters less if you worshipped Allah but Jesus is Lord.
Neti neti.
henry quirk

with apologies to kim deal...

Post by henry quirk »

He's the Invisible Man
Count the bubbles in your hand
The southern skies
And the summer sites

That's all that's left behind
The skies, and a sweet caress
He's the Invisible Man
Catch him if you can

You're nowhere in sight (just imagine that)
Nothing excites you (baby, that's a fact)
Open your eyes
Look and you will find

That's all that's left behind... the skies
And a sweet caress
The skies, the sights
And a sweet caress
He's the Invisible Man
Catch him if you can

If He wants to be caught, why run?

Me: too tired to chase Him.
Skip

Post by Skip »

uwot wrote:Well, everyone's philosophy of religion is different, and all power to them.
Never, ever, let me catch you saying that again! They've had way too much power, for way too long already.
Last edited by Skip on Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Post by Skip »

yiostheoy wrote: Atheism is simply yet another belief system.
No, it isn't.
Calling BOLLOCKS! when you see it is not a system; it is a simple rejection.
Theists have nothing to lose if they are wrong.
Except the firstlings of all their flocks, their worldly goods, their freedom and their sanity. Small price to pay for a long-shot at being selected for the choir that spends eternity praising the god who gave your kid leukemia - right?