Who Really is an Atheist?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

sthitapragya

Re: Who Really is an Atheist?

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote:
What efforts would you make to answer the questions: Who am I, Why am I here, and what the purpose of our great universe is? How would you pursue the questions if they concerned you? If we don’t know how to pursue the questions, how can we find suggestions worth contemplating?
Why should I bother to find out why I am here? If God made me, he should have had the foresight to tell me my purpose so that I could get the job done, instead of wasting most of my life looking for the purpose and then fulfilling it. Chances are, I will never find it and therefore never fulfill it. So God's work will not be done. That is his loss and his inefficiency. Why should I bother? When I send someone to do a job, I tell him exactly why he is going there. That is the only way to ensure that the job gets done. Not telling me why I am here and still expecting me to do my job is just plain stupid.

And I have no words for anyone looking for a purpose for which he was sent when the sender did not have the foresight to tell him what he was supposed to do.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

sthitapragya wrote:
Nick_A wrote:
What efforts would you make to answer the questions: Who am I, Why am I here, and what the purpose of our great universe is? How would you pursue the questions if they concerned you? If we don’t know how to pursue the questions, how can we find suggestions worth contemplating?
Why should I bother to find out why I am here? If God made me, he should have had the foresight to tell me my purpose so that I could get the job done, instead of wasting most of my life looking for the purpose and then fulfilling it. Chances are, I will never find it and therefore never fulfill it. So God's work will not be done. That is his loss and his inefficiency. Why should I bother? When I send someone to do a job, I tell him exactly why he is going there. That is the only way to ensure that the job gets done. Not telling me why I am here and still expecting me to do my job is just plain stupid.

And I have no words for anyone looking for a purpose for which he was sent when the sender did not have the foresight to tell him what he was supposed to do.
You might have noticed that the theists are as much in disagreement about what god is as atheists are in disagreement about any number of other topics.
If there is only one god, then I can't see how it could be the case that no believer can describe it the same as another.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
Nick_A wrote:

You might have noticed that the theists are as much in disagreement about what god is as atheists are in disagreement about any number of other topics.
If there is only one god, then I can't see how it could be the case that no believer can describe it the same as another.
I was just telling attofishpi the same thing. You argue on a point with one guy who believes in heaven and hell,and another will come and tell you to stop being silly as there is no heaven and hell outside of earth. Well, don't tell me! Tell the other guy! I don't believe in any of the stuff anyway. Then there are guys like reflex who will simply denounce everything anyone else believes in. He doesn't get that we denounce everyone of them too including his version.

And then there are those two geniuses, dontaskme and ken who have taken nonsense to a whole new level of higher nonsense.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

sthitapragya wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:

I was just telling attofishpi the same thing. You argue on a point with one guy who believes in heaven and hell,and another will come and tell you to stop being silly as there is no heaven and hell outside of earth. Well, don't tell me! Tell the other guy! I don't believe in any of the stuff anyway. Then there are guys like reflex who will simply denounce everything anyone else believes in. He doesn't get that we denounce everyone of them too including his version.

And then there are those two geniuses, dontaskme and ken who have taken nonsense to a whole new level of higher nonsense.
I agree. Then it gets more crazy. NickA decides to link cannibalism to abortion trying to pretend that if you are an abortionist you ought to be a cannibal as well. The craziness goes further, when he actually believes his own ground shifting nonsense and accuses me directly of advocating eating foetus soup!!!!
These Theists are crazy toc toc!!
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Stjit wrote: sthitapragya wrote:

Sthit, you are already serving your purpose on earth. It is the same purpose all of organic life serves: the transform of substances by bodily processes. That is what we do. We transform substances along with the rest of organic life on earth through our bodily processes.

Man is unique in that we can serve an additional purpose, the conscious purpose of consciously uniting above and below or as Plato said; knowledge and opinions
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Nick_A wrote:Stjit wrote: sthitapragya wrote:

Sthit, you are already serving your purpose on earth. It is the same purpose all of organic life serves: the transform of substances by bodily processes.s
Yeah - don't forget that next time you are taking a shit. You are doing god's work.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Hobbes wrote:
Yeah - don't forget that next time you are taking a shit. You are doing god's work.
Very true. That is about the most sensible thing I've ever read from you.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote:
Sthit, you are already serving your purpose on earth. It is the same purpose all of organic life serves: the transform of substances by bodily processes. That is what we do. We transform substances along with the rest of organic life on earth through our bodily processes.

Man is unique in that we can serve an additional purpose, the conscious purpose of consciously uniting above and below or as Plato said; knowledge and opinions
That is literally a shitty purpose isn't it? Specially coming from God.

And consciously uniting above and below what? And what happens after I unite above and below?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Sthit wrote: That is literally a shitty purpose isn't it? Specially coming from God.
Why? The universe as a whole eats itself and in the process transforms substances. The ancient symbol of the Ouroboros represents this process. The living machine on earth called organic life on earth which includes Man is part of the process and transforms substances as well. Take away the BS and that is what we objectively do. Why deny it? Why not try to understand it?
And consciously uniting above and below what? And what happens after I unite above and below?
It is the beginning of the transformation of the old man into the New Man or the Man with a soul. You must be familiar with the expression” “he can’t see the forest for the trees.” The forest represents above and the trees represent below. Most are caught up with the trees (below) but some are drawn to consciously experience the wholeness of the forest in which the trees are a part (above) and connect these levels of reality. But if you are not drawn to this conscious experience and what it may offer, why bother with it? It is far better not to discuss these ideas and live a good life than to inflict negative blind denial on them since this blind denial can only harm you on the inside.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote: Why? The universe as a whole eats itself and in the process transforms substances. The ancient symbol of the Ouroboros represents this process. The living machine on earth called organic life on earth which includes Man is part of the process and transforms substances as well. Take away the BS and that is what we objectively do. Why deny it? Why not try to understand it?
I don't rely on ancient symbols for anything. However, if that is what you think organic life on earth is doing, it can very well do it without God.
Nick_A wrote:
It is the beginning of the transformation of the old man into the New Man or the Man with a soul. You must be familiar with the expression” “he can’t see the forest for the trees.” The forest represents above and the trees represent below. Most are caught up with the trees (below) but some are drawn to consciously experience the wholeness of the forest in which the trees are a part (above) and connect these levels of reality. But if you are not drawn to this conscious experience and what it may offer, why bother with it? It is far better not to discuss these ideas and live a good life than to inflict negative blind denial on them since this blind denial can only harm you on the inside.
I have nothing against the conscious experience. I am wondering what good it will do me. As for the forest analogy, only an idiot would miss the forest. So I don't see how it makes any sense. Also I can see what you mean by the trees above and the roots below. But what is above and below consciousness? And the point still remains. What do you expect to happen after you see this above and below?

And I am discussing these ideas only because people like you who are drawn to this concept keep putting people like us down who are not interested in it. I am simply trying to point out that what appears a very magnificent thing to do to you seems to me to be an exercise in futility. I will stop discussing as soon as you actually respect my decision to not do what you do and stop calling it stuff like "blind denial" and "harm you from inside". Respect my choice and I will respect yours. Put down mine, and I will put down yours. It is a simple give and take. I only discuss this because of the "I am better than you" attitude you carry on your sleeve.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote:
It is the beginning of the transformation of the old man into the New Man or the Man with a soul.
Oh and since you seem to give the soul such a high level of respect, why don't you take the time to answer my questions in the thread, "About God's punishment and the soul"? Maybe you can clarify some of my confusion about the soul.
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

sthit wrote:
Oh and since you seem to give the soul such a high level of respect, why don't you take the time to answer my questions in the thread, "About God's punishment and the soul"? Maybe you can clarify some of my confusion about the soul.
I'll try tomorrow. It will be hard since I understand the soul as an attribute of conscious or evolved humanity. Man on earth doesn't have one. Buddhism asserts no-soul. Christendom asserts a fully developed soul. I believe in Man's conscious potential to acquire a soul. As you can see, it will annoy all sides.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

Nick_A wrote:sthit wrote:
I'll try tomorrow. It will be hard since I understand the soul as an attribute of conscious or evolved humanity. Man on earth doesn't have one. Buddhism asserts no-soul. Christendom asserts a fully developed soul. I believe in Man's conscious potential to acquire a soul. As you can see, it will annoy all sides.
Oh okay. Then it is not for you. But I don't get this about you. You claim to be a Christian but you reject tenets of Christianity. Are you allowed to pick and choose like that?
Nick_A

Post by Nick_A »

Oh okay. Then it is not for you. But I don't get this about you. You claim to be a Christian but you reject tenets of Christianity. Are you allowed to pick and choose like that?
Yes, I distinguish between Christianity having originated with a conscious source and the many man made interpretations of Christendom. There is simply no reason to blindly believe. The question becomes how to consciously verify.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

Nick_A wrote:Hobbes wrote:
Very true. That is about the most sensible thing I've ever read from you.
How do you know the mind of god?