A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Harbal » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 pm
The 90s...sex drugs and abortions. Is that a good start?
Not really, perhaps if you explained the relevance of these things it would help.
Let me ask you a question.. would you want to know if God exists?
Yes, I suppose it would be a matter of some interest to me.

prof
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by prof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 am

Harbal wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:06 pm
In the context of philosophy it seems to me that if you believe there is a god it cannot help but be a fundamental influence on your views. How can someone like this have a meaningful discussion with someone lacking this influence. God people should talk among themselves and leave the rest of us to do the same.
I agree with your last sentence, Harbal. Start your own thread, and do not hijack mine. Thank you.

I do wish to express that I feel sorry that you do not feel this "fundamental influence" on your life, of which you speak. Some day, hopefully, you may share in it. Something my happen in your experience which you then call "a miracle!" And you will thank Gd for it.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Harbal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 am

prof wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 am
Start your own thread, and do not hijack mine. Thank you.
That's a rather selfish attitude prof, on this forum we like to participate in one another's threads, we don't just keep them to ourselves.
I do wish to express that I feel sorry that you do not feel this "fundamental influence" on your life, of which you speak. Some day, hopefully, you may share in it. Something my happen in your experience which you then call "a miracle!" And you will thank Gd for it.
But then I'd also have to start blaming him for all the bad stuff that I experience and before you know it I'd be thinking about God all the time.

prof
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by prof » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:18 am

Harbal wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:42 am
prof wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:40 am
I do wish to express that I feel sorry that you do not feel this "fundamental influence" on your life, of which you speak. Some day, hopefully, you may share in it. Something may happen in your experience which you then call "a miracle!" And you will thank Gd for it.
But then I'd also have to start blaming him for all the bad stuff that I experience and before you know it I'd be thinking about God all the time.
See! This is typically what happens in philosophical discussions: you and I are conceiving of distinctly-different definitions of the key terms. You ignore the first post, wherein I informed everyone of how I was using the word 'God.'

I explained there that (what I mean by) God is all-good, has nothing to do with badness, or evil. ....And when I see you writing about "all the bad stuff" it is obvious that a communication breakdown has taken place :!: :!:

Is it possible that a commission of The Straw Man Fallacy has taken place?

The G I pray to is not all-powerful. Nonetheless, G is powerful enough to suit me!

If some critic thinks an all-powerful god would be a "better god," then it is up to that 'brain' to account for the Theodicy Problem.
Last edited by prof on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dubious
Posts: 1157
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 7:40 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Dubious » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:48 am

There aren't enough implications for an adequate definition. In consequence the only possible definition left is that God is a hit & run affair, figuratively, and if such really exists, actually as well. When you pray to god all that's necessary is a Hello immediately followed by Goodbye and an Amen with nothing further in-between. Your obeisance is complete!

Hello...Goodbye...Amen; it doesn't get more complicated than that.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by attofishpi » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 pm

Harbal wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 pm
attofishpi wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 pm
The 90s...sex drugs and abortions. Is that a good start?
Not really, perhaps if you explained the relevance of these things it would help.
Let me ask you a question.. would you want to know if God exists?
Yes, I suppose it would be a matter of some interest to me.
Mr Harbal, if you still want to continue our debate re your insistence that any comprehension of God is irrational, then I am willing to, though am quite happy not to.

Its up to you, but if you do, then it truly starts with this question:
What is it that you find so irrational in there being a God?

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Harbal » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 pm
What is it that you find so irrational in there being a God?
What I think is: there is no reason to suppose there is a God. Therefore, it seems rational to assume there isn't one.

User avatar
attofishpi
Posts: 2125
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:10 am
Location: Orion Spur
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by attofishpi » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Harbal wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm
attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 pm
What is it that you find so irrational in there being a God?
What I think is: there is no reason to suppose there is a God. Therefore, it seems rational to assume there isn't one.
No, that is not explaining what is irrational about considering there is one.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Lacewing » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:13 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 pm
Harbal wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm
attofishpi wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 pm
What is it that you find so irrational in there being a God?
What I think is: there is no reason to suppose there is a God. Therefore, it seems rational to assume there isn't one.
No, that is not explaining what is irrational about considering there is one.
You've changed your statement now, Atto. It's not irrational to CONSIDER something. That's not what you had said.

If there's no reason to suppose that something exists, it can easily seem irrational to insist that it does.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Harbal » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:03 pm

attofishpi wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:05 pm
No, that is not explaining what is irrational about considering there is one.
Okay, does that mean you win the argument? Well done Fish Pie, you ran rings round me.

prof
Posts: 856
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:57 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by prof » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 pm

Harbal wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm

What I think is: there is no reason to suppose there is a God.
This reaffirms the old adage: There are none so blind as those who will not see.

In the o.p. and in subsequent posts I gave good reasons to posit God, and to possess humility. The atheist religion is based on a negative assumption. In Logic this doesn't hold up; so we can safely say that that religion is based on faith ...as are all human conceptions and endeavors.

And God more than exists. God is real. If anything ever was real, God is real !!!
.

User avatar
Lacewing
Posts: 1879
Joined: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:25 am

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Lacewing » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:53 pm

prof wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 pm
...we can safely say that that religion is based on faith ...as are all human conceptions and endeavors.

And God more than exists. God is real. If anything ever was real, God is real !!!
.
Faith does not equal real.
.
prof wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 pm
Harbal wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:41 pm
What I think is: there is no reason to suppose there is a God.
This reaffirms the old adage: There are none so blind as those who will not see.
No it doesn't. That old adage can easily apply to those who choose faith over all to the contrary.

User avatar
Harbal
Posts: 3210
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:03 pm
Location: Yorkshire
Contact:

Re: A definition of Gd, and some implications that follow

Post by Harbal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:06 pm

prof wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:35 pm
This reaffirms the old adage: There are none so blind as those who will not see.

That's more of an old chestnut than an old adage, prof.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests