What should we pray about?

Is there a God? If so, what is She like?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

skakos

What should we pray about?

Post by skakos »

Some months ago, Dr. Kent Brantly got infected with Ebola disease. He was then hurried back to US where he was given an experimental medicine that worked. After his release from the hospital, he praised God for his life. He said that he prayed to God and that his prayers were answered. [http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola- ... my-n185956]

Many people pray to God. However not all of them are saved.
But is this so? What should we be praying to?
Dr. Brantly said it eloquently: "I prayed that God would help me to be faithful even in my illness, and I prayed that in my life or in my death, He would be glorified".

In life AND death he said. And this is indeed the proper way to pray.
Why pray to save your material life on this Earth? After all is it not Christianism who says over and over again that material life is nothing compared to your spiritual salvation?
The Lord said it after all: "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in disease". (Ἀρκεῖ σοι ἡ χάρις μου· ἡ γὰρ δύναμις ἐν ἀσθενείᾳ τελειοῦται)

See beyond what is in front of your eyes and you will see the world...
Choose to die and you will earn eternal life...

What do you think?
jackles

Re: What should we pray about?

Post by jackles »

prayin is very good for you because a sincere prayer detaches the praying persons consciousness away from the local event.forgivness is a good one but anything that releases the consciousness from the event.so love without attactment=contentment.
duszek

Post by duszek »

From a physical point of view praying makes you less focused on fear and less tense.
This is good for the healing process.

I heard of pianist who lost parts of his brain because of a tumor and the doctors told him that after the huge chemotherapy he would never get hair any more.
He used auto-hypnosis and imagined that small dwarfs were removing the dead tissue in his scalp and replacing it with live tissue. And his hair grew abundantly, like that of a red Indian (native American).
skakos

Post by skakos »

Indeed praying is a way to stop thinking consciously.
Too much thinking, too much analysis, leads to a wrong image of the world.
Only when we are not thinking can we get in touch with the world as it is...
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

Praying may help people in some psychological way, and the mind does have somatic effects, but for instance, praying for somebody else's recovery from a disease is a total waste of time since there has never been the slightest scientific documentation it has any effect whatsoever.
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

skakos wrote:Indeed praying is a way to stop thinking consciously.
That seems a little ironic, care to elaborate? Or are you just taking the piss out of Jackles. ;)
Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

duszek wrote:From a physical point of view praying makes you less focused on fear and less tense.
This is good for the healing process.

I heard of pianist who lost parts of his brain because of a tumor and the doctors told him that after the huge chemotherapy he would never get hair any more.
He used auto-hypnosis and imagined that small dwarfs were removing the dead tissue in his scalp and replacing it with live tissue. And his hair grew abundantly, like that of a red Indian (native American).
Odd way to put it, the dwarves were right and science was wrong, science is kinda like that, but your non sequitur is quite strange. You've kinda only considered one reason his hair grew back, to the exclusion of others. Whilst one cannot deny the magical power of the mind to heal itself, we shouldn't perhaps consider it the only source of amazing.
skakos

Post by skakos »

Blaggard wrote:
skakos wrote:Indeed praying is a way to stop thinking consciously.
That seems a little ironic, care to elaborate? Or are you just taking the piss out of Jackles. ;)
You feel the cosmos, you feel the love of your loved ones, you feel you have a purpose on this world, you feel you have free will...

Start analyzing these based on specific scientific assumptions (called "axioms") and you will stop seeing all these things you feel.

Just some examples.
Kayla

Post by Kayla »

my daughter's sunday school class was asked what they would do if they could ask God for just one thing and know God would provide it

there would be many resurrection requests for dead relatives, a few tickets to sports events, a job or two for unemployed parents

my little girl said that she would ask God to rid the universe of everything bad

the scope of the request was never specified

not sure what the learning point was there but I hope she keeps thinking in those terms
bobevenson

Post by bobevenson »

The pathetic thing about praying is appealing to the unknown rather than yourself or others.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

WE SHOULD PRAY FOR OUR PREY

Which actually is Muslim extremists.

Not sure if there is actually anyone out there that believes a thing i state about 'knowing' God exists...but sometimes i like knowing.

A few weeks ago i asked God (as you do) whether these Muslims that are chopping the heads off of people are to be turned into the beast (the energy of man)

I received three heavy taps on my right knee...as God does when my question is answered 'right'.

Somebody should warn these suckers...but i do love my eggs and bacon.

http://www.androcies.com
skakos

Post by skakos »

bobevenson wrote:The pathetic thing about praying is appealing to the unknown rather than yourself or others.
Praying is about opening yourself to the cosmos...