The Inter Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dontaskme

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote:
Dontaskme wrote: So are you saying that container and it's contents are one vessel?
I don't think I said anything about a vessel.
''That's because I am used to things that are not empty containing something.''

If ''things'' are not empty, why are you using the word ''empty'' in your description of some thing?
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote: You presented your "conclusion" as being the case, rather than being a possibility.
No he didn't.

Conclusion:

NOUN: The last main division of a discourse, usually containing a summing up of the points and a statement of opinion or decisions reached.

Not exactly the case is it, I know you like to rest your case.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

I just want to say that this was a lot of fun but this Space Thing is really off the topic of The Inter Mind. The quote that started all this is from the Absolute Nothing article in the Other Topics section on the website. It really is another topic from the intention of this post.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote:
Harbal wrote: You presented your "conclusion" as being the case, rather than being a possibility.
No he didn't.

Conclusion:

NOUN: The last main division of a discourse, usually containing a summing up of the points and a statement of opinion or decisions reached.

I think maybe you care too much, Dontaskme.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Harbal wrote:
Dontaskme wrote:
No he didn't.

Conclusion:

I think maybe you care too much, Dontaskme.
The only thing I care about is a Just Reliable Truth.

A Conclusion is an idea, it's not set in philosophers stone.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: The only thing I care about is a Just Reliable Truth.
Your mind is in too much of a muddle for the truth to be any use to you.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote:I just want to say that this was a lot of fun but this Space Thing is really off the topic of The Inter Mind. The quote that started all this is from the Absolute Nothing article in the Other Topics section on the website. It really is another topic from the intention of this post.
Just to let you know anything you drop off at this philosophy forum will almost certainly diverge into complete and utter going off on a tangent mode of communicating.

At least you dropped something off of immense value, that's actually interesting, it's rare to find that happening here. So thanks again.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: But my argument for it is that Scientists have said that at the moment of the Big Bang that the parameters of any new Universe get set. The Dimension of the Universe is one of those parameters. So there is some Scientific backing, although very theoretical, for the reality of Universes with different dimensions. This also means that the Big Bang did not explode or expand into an existing background 3D Space but rather the Big Bang created the Space that the Universe is made out of. The Big Bang actually supposes Absolute Nothingness before the Big Bang. So I think the fact that Space can be 2D, 3D, 4D etc. means that Space must be a thing and this has pretty good Scientific backing.
Dear Steve, hope you haven't run away.I find your ideas extremely interesting.

When you refer to the Big Bang...do you think that could imply a beginning ? and if so, would that imply a cause of that beginning?

Could such a cause ever be known?

I'm just curious as to what your opinion is that's all...I'm not looking for absolute answers here. :D
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Dontaskme wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote: But my argument for it is that Scientists have said that at the moment of the Big Bang that the parameters of any new Universe get set. The Dimension of the Universe is one of those parameters. So there is some Scientific backing, although very theoretical, for the reality of Universes with different dimensions. This also means that the Big Bang did not explode or expand into an existing background 3D Space but rather the Big Bang created the Space that the Universe is made out of. The Big Bang actually supposes Absolute Nothingness before the Big Bang. So I think the fact that Space can be 2D, 3D, 4D etc. means that Space must be a thing and this has pretty good Scientific backing.
Dear Steve, hope you haven't run away.I find your ideas extremely interesting.

When you refer to the Big Bang...do you think that could imply a beginning ? and if so, would that imply a cause of that beginning?

Could such a cause ever be known?

I'm just curious as to what your opinion is that's all...I'm not looking for absolute answers here. :D
I think our particular Big Bang is just one event that has happened in the context of some larger concept that we don't know about yet. I'm implying many Big Bangs over measureless time spans. Even Science doesn't know too much about that larger concept and what it was like before the Big Bang. We are taking our first baby steps. We will ultimately have to let the Big Brains figure these things out over what will probably be a long time. That would be hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years. We may not fully understand until we evolve into something more intelligent.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

SteveKlinko wrote: I think our particular Big Bang is just one event that has happened in the context of some larger concept that we don't know about yet.
I think something wonderful, that I don't yet know about, is going to happen to me within the immediate future, I'm starting to get really excited about. it.
We will ultimately have to let the Big Brains figure these things out over what will probably be a long time.
I'll have a think about it when I get the chance but I have got other stuff going on, you know.
We may not fully understand until we evolve into something more intelligent.
I'm still trying to come to terms with what I already am, I think it may be quite some time before I'm ready to evolve.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Harbal wrote:
SteveKlinko wrote: I think our particular Big Bang is just one event that has happened in the context of some larger concept that we don't know about yet.
I think something wonderful, that I don't yet know about, is going to happen to me within the immediate future, I'm starting to get really excited about. it.
We will ultimately have to let the Big Brains figure these things out over what will probably be a long time.
I'll have a think about it when I get the chance but I have got other stuff going on, you know.
We may not fully understand until we evolve into something more intelligent.
I'm still trying to come to terms with what I already am, I think it may be quite some time before I'm ready to evolve.
I'm glad you are so enthusiastic. Can't wait to hear what you have to say when you finally have time for a thought. You will also evolve someday.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote: I think our particular Big Bang is just one event that has happened in the context of some larger concept that we don't know about yet. I'm implying many Big Bangs over measureless time spans. Even Science doesn't know too much about that larger concept and what it was like before the Big Bang. We are taking our first baby steps. We will ultimately have to let the Big Brains figure these things out over what will probably be a long time. That would be hundreds, thousands, or even millions of years. We may not fully understand until we evolve into something more intelligent.
It seems difficult to grasp beginnings since beginnings are mental constructs that appear in the mind....so in a sense the mind can't be a human mind since the mind must have been there at the beginning for it to be here now...and I don't recall any beginning...hmm, this mind is boggling. :wink:

I can't help thinking though, that a BB implies a beginning, therefore must have been caused. If there is no causer, then surely the BB couldn't have happened, that's just the way my logic thinks about that. :D

Thanks Steve, it's nice to talk to an intelligent gent for a change. :P

Intel inside. :wink:
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Thanks Steve, it's nice to talk to an intelligent gent for a change. :P
That could be a problem, Dontaskme, if he's intelligent he's soon going to realise you're a crackpot and make a dash for it. However, I don't get the impression you have anything to worry about.
SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko »

Hate to interrupt, but has anyone got any comments on The Inter Mind yet? If not that's ok, it's a long read. Take your time. But if you do take a look at it you will never see Light or hear Sound the same way again.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

SteveKlinko wrote:Hate to interrupt, but has anyone got any comments on The Inter Mind yet? If not that's ok, it's a long read. Take your time. But if you do take a look at it you will never see Light or hear Sound the same way again.
I'm looking Steve..

I really like your ideas, and I absolutely agree with you when you say...''you will never see Light or hear Sound the same way again''

Gosh, learning and discovering stuff about the universe and how or why it came into being is so exciting...