The Inter Mind

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

SteveKlinko

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 am

PauloL wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:03 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:59 pm
I agree that what I say sounds like a Soul. But it is really quite different from the religious Soul which always seems to be a wispy transparent copy of the Physical being. I think the Conscious Mind could be a whole new existence when it is released from the control of the Brain. Scientists should not be afraid to pursue such things if the logic leads them there.
x.............................................................................................................x

..................... True.
..................... The only problem is:
..................... Scientific data doesn't support pursuing such things,
..................... so logic doesn't lead them there.

x.............................................................................................................x
I think the logic is there that should lead them to think in different ways about Consciousness but they are not paying attention.

PauloL

Post by PauloL » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 am

SteveKlinko wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 am
I hope so. But I see nothing. They only discuss betwixt monism, dualism and something inconsequential in between.

Monism doesn't explain the last stronghold of consciousness, Neuroscientist's proto-self, in which dualism might gain ground, but again the proto-self is so little I guess no one will fire a rocket.

I might be using Descartes mind, if I believed reincarnation, but what's the benefit for Descartes? Mine is enough clear: I need a proto-self.

SteveKlinko

Post by SteveKlinko » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:44 am

PauloL wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:18 am
SteveKlinko wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:53 am
I hope so. But I see nothing. They only discuss betwixt monism, dualism and something inconsequential in between.

Monism doesn't explain the last stronghold of consciousness, Neuroscientist's proto-self, in which dualism might gain ground, but again the proto-self is so little I guess no one will fire a rocket.

I might be using Descartes mind, if I believed reincarnation, but what's the benefit for Descartes? Mine is enough clear: I need a proto-self.
For me it's all about Conscious Sensory perception. The Conscious experience of the color Red, and all colors, and Light in general continues to fascinate me. How is it that the Self experiences these things? What is Red? The Light we see is Conscious Light that is inside us not the Physical Light that is outside us, The Light we see is inside us and must therefore be part of what we are. I know the Self is the Light but it still doesn't seem to help explain what the Self is.

PauloL

Post by PauloL » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:47 am

SteveKlinko wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:44 am
That's what I'm discussing in another thread a propos an article from this month's PhilosophyNow.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22568