A new form of Modern Interactive Dualism for 'personal identity' problem and Binding Problem of Consciousness

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

consciousnessdualism

A new form of Modern Interactive Dualism for 'personal identity' problem and Binding Problem of Consciousness

Post by consciousnessdualism »

Here is my proposal of a new form of Modern Interactive Dualism that may help to provide a preliminary solution to the
'personal identity' problem and Binding Problem of Consciousness

https://zh.scribd.com/document/329710574/Dua

An additional short 'Section 14' has been added recently to tentatively provide a simple but logically well-defined novel solution to the 'personal Identity' Problem (self continuation problem) (Section 14) . It is always fun to try to think of the consciousness problem in a different perspective. Anyone who spot any logical error are welcome to feedback.
Last edited by consciousnessdualism on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Terrapin Station

Re: How may consciousness communicate to the physical world?

Post by Terrapin Station »

consciousnessdualism wrote:I am writing an article in thinking of, if the fundamental existence of consciousness is ontologically resided apart from the physical world,
in what way may consciousness communicate to the physical world?

Anyone who is interested may a take a look or give advise.
I read through just a small bit of your paper and it's clear that English isn't your first language. It's difficult to read your paper because your English is very "broken." Until you learn the language better, I'd suggest writing in whatever your primary language is and perhaps hiring a translator to produce an English version of your work.
Skip

Post by Skip »

I didn't have any problem with the English, though the vocabulary is limited and the "research" seems to have been carried out entirely via internet links, rather than actual scholarship. While I respect the hell out of wikipedia, it's too easy to cherry-pick, which provides neither depth nor breadth of understanding.
All that aside, the premise is silly.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

consciousnessdualism wrote:I am writing an article in thinking of, if the fundamental existence of consciousness is ontologically resided apart from the physical world,

I think your problem is obvious from the start. You have taken the first step into a disabling dualism that has assumed that consciousness is apart from, rather than a part of what you like to characterise as the 'physical world'. In doing so you have already shot yourself in the foot by creating a false division. The world has consciousness in it, and is the seat of everything you hold evident about the world.
The world you have is an interpretation of your sense data, and innate intuitions that nature has equipped you with. This primary reflexion is the means by which you conceive; conceive the 'physical', the mental, and any other categories of understanding that you have borrowed from your language community. You hope to reconcile and explain your experience, yet you are limited by the tools of your language which is not a natural form, but a cultural one. I suggest you first unpick the assumptions, and not make the mistake of chaining yourself the the rotten Cartesian old chestnut.

So I do not think this is even a question. The notion that such a question is askable, is more an artefact of the problem of language than a problem of ontology.
consciousnessdualism

Post by consciousnessdualism »

Terrapin Station wrote:

I read through just a small bit of your paper and it's clear that English isn't your first language. It's difficult to read your paper because your English is very "broken." Until you learn the language better, I'd suggest writing in whatever your primary language is and perhaps hiring a translator to produce an English version of your work.
Thanks for your comment.
I've just revised the structure and idea of the article substantially in my spare time, hoping to express more clearly.
Any further comments are welcome.