New TV series Westworld - are the hosts conscious

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

attofishpi

New TV series Westworld - are the hosts conscious

Post by attofishpi »

I recommend anyone interested in 'Philosophy of Mind' to watch the new TV series Westworld.
Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins are in it and thus far i am hooked!

I don't want to give too much away, but i have always been interested in this concept of AI where something we create that emulates intelligence may one day be formed such that the 'machine' becomes actually conscious, and i think that is the key issue within the "Park" here. I think Dr Ford is aware that the robots are conscious but wants to keep this under wraps for ethical reasons.
TSBU

Re: New TV series Westworld - are the hosts conscious

Post by TSBU »

Hmmm, I started "regenesis" yesterday, I usually don't like to see not ended things (I hate to wait)
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

TSBU wrote:Hmmm, I started "regenesis" yesterday, I usually don't like to see not ended things (I hate to wait)
I like it between the weekly releases, the anticipation - but waiting for the next season is crap.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Yes a friend that put me on to Westworld mentioned there was a 70s film - i think also there was an eighties TV series. I'll have to wait until the current TV series is finished before watching the film i think.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

Get Season 1 any way you can! This is excellent entertainment, especially for anyone interested in the impending strong AI and actual consciousness within such a framework.

**spoiler alert*** I was right regarding my suspicions above regarding Hopkins (Robert Ford).
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

attofishpi wrote:Get Season 1 any way you can! This is excellent entertainment, especially for anyone interested in the impending strong AI and actual consciousness within such a framework.

**spoiler alert*** I was right regarding my suspicions above regarding Hopkins (Robert Ford).
I've seen it, it's entertainment, not very philosophical. Many people has said to me to look "humans", they say it's the same, but less glamour and more deep.
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

TSBU wrote:
attofishpi wrote:Get Season 1 any way you can! This is excellent entertainment, especially for anyone interested in the impending strong AI and actual consciousness within such a framework.

I've seen it, it's entertainment, not very philosophical. Many people has said to me to look "humans", they say it's the same, but less glamour and more deep.
Sure, but i think the way the hosts come to real eyes what they are is handled very succinctly.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

What a horrid thought, to create a consciousness that will suffer. And for a machine consciousness, it does not have the benefit of a divine creation, or purpose, but just a mundane, haphazard pedigree with no meaning. Which I believe humans have, but with no obvious living creator, we can at least pretend we do.
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Dalek Prime wrote:What a horrid thought, to create a consciousness that will suffer. And for a machine consciousness, it does not have the benefit of a divine creation, or purpose, but just a mundane, haphazard pedigree with no meaning. Which I believe humans have, but with no obvious living creator, we can at least pretend we do.
People have babies all the time, and it isn't so bad in most of times :/
attofishpi

Post by attofishpi »

TSBU wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:What a horrid thought, to create a consciousness that will suffer. And for a machine consciousness, it does not have the benefit of a divine creation, or purpose, but just a mundane, haphazard pedigree with no meaning. Which I believe humans have, but with no obvious living creator, we can at least pretend we do.
Yes, the consciousness within these androids\robots do suffer terribly. Dalek had the snip when he was eleven to ensure he doesn't bring anyone into this horrible thing called life! ...he's been firing blanks all over the place ever since.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

attofishpi wrote:
TSBU wrote:
Yes, the consciousness within these androids\robots do suffer terribly. Dalek had the snip when he was eleven to ensure he doesn't bring anyone into this horrible thing called life! ...he's been firing blanks all over the place ever since.
Lol! :lol:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

TSBU wrote:
You haven't thought about it much, have you...
TSBU

Post by TSBU »

Dalek Prime wrote:
TSBU wrote:
About your post. No. About the topic... I dont know
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

TSBU wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
TSBU wrote: People have babies all the time, and it isn't so bad in most of times :/
About your post. No. About the topic... I dont know
There's more to existence than meets the eye. I find your honesty refreshing, btw. Thank you.

I think about consciousness and existence pretty much everyday, poking and prodding my own philosophy and beliefs for holes, because I can't defend anything that's incorrect. I've found none after many years.