is artificial intelligence true mind?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

osgart

is artificial intelligence true mind?

Post by osgart »

The mind is a set of ruling logic laws plus the assimilation memory of audible and visual information to be interpreted by those logic laws to create the simulation of meaning. Mind is centered on meaning. So you would need a logical heart system to make the mind responsible. Perhaps a set of priortized truth tables that give the mind a moral code. Of course you would need an interpretation system for its senses to extrapolate information in a real world sensibility. In short you create the abstract world of the computers mind.
What is logic but the laws of objectivity you set up for the creation of the mind. Than you have to create an object oriented language of association and differentiation for the minds understanding ability. Than you create an actions language that filters all your laws of mind morally and has an artificial will system. The Conceptualization system would have to be a definition identification contextual apparatus. So you inter subject all these components together and you have a possible mind. Lastly you build a conscion system of awareness laws. Where the logic determines the focus as it operates the heart and will you created.
Do teach the mind english in all its forms and make human languages the god system for the mind.
So you have all your systems now and the equation of those systems that ensures the harmony of your a i robot mind.
Is it a true mind?
HexHammer

Re: is artificial intelligence true mind?

Post by HexHammer »

Both yes and no, in many areas it will far far exceed our minds, but the truly abstract area it still lacks, like driving a car and conversation, but it's a matter of time before it will exceed our minds.
osgart

Post by osgart »

in a lot of ways it will. Creatively and subjectively you might say no though. Unless you give it a personality program than yes in all regards.
Necromancer

Post by Necromancer »

No, it's only the mere programming... True minds have eternity to them and Near-Death perceptions etc. :)

My two cents...
osgart

Post by osgart »

i hope mind is eternal by nature.
Perhaps we would never have gotten here if mind didnt always exist.
Greta

Post by Greta »

osgart wrote:So you have all your systems now and the equation of those systems that ensures the harmony of your a i robot mind.
Is it a true mind?
Early AI does not seem to be conscious, or at least not significantly so. It senses and process information but does not emote. It doesn't care any more than the raw oil, mineral silicon and metal that was mined to create it. Feelings matter when we consider the kinds of reactivity (aka consciousness) that we most value, that we consider to be the most "aware".

Today's early AI is akin to programmable microbes, albeit with macro scale presence and focus. The first bacteria and archaea only sensed and processed information too - with neither emotion, nor care - and look what we have now, four billion years later.

An example of how AI influences us without trying is the Google algorithm set. Consider the influence of those algorithms on society - the information made available (and not made so readily available). Yet all the AI does is respond to human commands and occasionally countermands the order with the critically important option of reverting to the original. Once an unfamiliar or unsanctioned search is forced "into a known box" with no right of reply, that's when you know we have lost control.

On the bright side, AI's potential durability and abilities mean that they should outlast humans and theoretically "colonise" any solid planet or moon in the outer solar system. They could be the first in the line of a new phase of evolution (if constant self-improving robots can be thought of as "evolving").

In time they may develop their own sophisticated emotional responses and philosophical inclinations, as did the distant descendants of the first microbes alive today. Maybe highly evolved AI would see its original human makers back on Earth as very simplistic beings and look on us with a similar interest and fondness as we think back to our hominid and earlier primate ancestors? They would consider humans to only partly be conscious, largely unconsciously driven by impulses, desires, fears and other emotions. I expect they would be right too :)
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Never could figure out what precisely is meant by "artificial" intelligence. Artificial compared to what, ours?, benefactors in the evolution of "natural" intelligence! I see no contradiction in the progression of the organic to the inorganic. But even if it's not inorganic would that presuppose that a technological enhancement of the human brain in its current state to be also"artificial"?

Strange to think that our hard won intelligence could be described in the same terms by some kind of cosmic quantum computer...which ponders the question...at what point would intelligence cease to be artificial. My response is simply to remove the reference as a condition of intelligence which remains pertinent only to itself regardless of the means by which it functions.

Artificial Intelligence is a relative term which doesn't modify the meaning of what intelligence is or in what manner it manifests itself.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

When HAL gets the punchline of a joke, I'll consider him a self, a mind, an 'I'...till then he's just a glorified calculator.

When HAL is legitimately pissy with me, and can't say why, I'll think of him a a person...till then he's just wires, chips, and a battery.

When HAL tells me of his outlandish dream to herd goats in the mountains, and is not swayed from this by reason, I'll treat him as 'other'...till then he's just a 'thing'.