Subconscious mind?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

surreptitious57

Re: Subconscious mind?

Post by surreptitious57 »

sthitapragya wrote:
We are not talking about decisions made by the subconscious mind. We are talking about thoughts of the conscious mind
But they are not mutually exclusive. Since decisions taken by the conscious mind actually originate in the subconscious
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

surreptitious57 wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
We are not talking about decisions made by the subconscious mind. We are talking about thoughts of the conscious mind
But they are not mutually exclusive. Since decisions taken by the conscious mind actually originate in the subconscious
No they are not. But we are still not talking about decisions taken by the conscious mind. We are talking about thoughts of the conscious mind. For example, "why am I here?" If I ask that question out loud, I have no way of knowing if and when that thought originated in the subconscious mind. I have no idea till I am aware of it. I don't think we are certain yet if the subconscious mind is capable of such thoughts or not. We could be since I don't know much about all this. But as far as I understand, reasoning is done by the conscious part of the brain and not the subconscious. I might be wrong though.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

bahman wrote:
Beauty wrote: I am in the market-place shopping for some clothes. I like two dresses, but am confused as to which one to buy. Buying both is not a consideration. Either get the one the subconscious says, or reject both, for something better is 'round the corner the subconscious says. The subconscious comes to make the decision for us, when the conscious is confused. But we may listen or not. If we don't listen, then we regret later on, having made the wrong decision. The subconscious is God - Higher MInd - Higher Consciousness - guiding us in the right way always, through voice of conscience and feeling in the heart(subconsciousness).
I don't think that subconscious mind has any relation with God. It is simply a part of our minds. I also think that conscience is an inner voice which is the result of all experience in our lives, what we are Taught and what we are (our genes).
No, the subconscious is God, and it is a part of our mind, it is the holy part of our mind whereas we are the unholy part of our mind, here in Hell for correction, and so scripture talks about becoming a good boy, good girl. "Know ye not that ye are all Gods, and the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" We are originally from Heaven but fallen here in Hell due to past sinning in past life. We all need to rise, like - "Jesus is risen" - gone back to Heaven.
Terrapin Station

Post by Terrapin Station »

Beauty wrote: Either get the one the subconscious says . . .
If you know "what the subconscious says," it's not subconscious, it's conscious.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Ginkgo wrote:
bahman wrote:
Ginkgo wrote: Probably not, we can only attend to a couple of things at a time. It is very difficult to have two streams of thought that are no bound into a single experiential state. Most of what goes on in the brain is unconscious, it is only when we decide to attend that subconscious thoughts become conscious.
I think that subconscious mind can perform several process at the same time. I don't know yet whether these processes are thought or not. So why our conscious minds cannot function like subconscious mind?
I don't think subconscious thoughts are thoughts as such, they only become thoughts when we decide to attend. For example,consider the cocktail party effect. The conservation around us is just a loud confused noise to our ears, but if someone in across the room mentions our name we immediately hear this clearly over the din and we focus in on what they are saying.
Hearing your voice in a cocktail party is a good example. I am not sure voice recognition is something done with conscious mind. I think your conscious mind is partially aware of the noise in the party and you recognize your name when you are minimally are aware of what you are hearing.
bahman

Post by bahman »

sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote:
sthitapragya wrote: You have no way of knowing that it existed in your mind before you were aware of it.
That is not true. I sometimes have a sense of what thought is about before the thoughts becomes completely clear in my mind.
No, you don't. If you have a sense of what a thought is about, you have already thought it, haven't you? What you are suggesting is an impossibility. You are suggesting that you have a thought before you can think it.
I think the phenomena is like this: The formation of thoughts take time in your mind so you can have only a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear to you. I have done lots of practice on this so I am sure you can do it too.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Beauty wrote:
bahman wrote:
Beauty wrote: I am in the market-place shopping for some clothes. I like two dresses, but am confused as to which one to buy. Buying both is not a consideration. Either get the one the subconscious says, or reject both, for something better is 'round the corner the subconscious says. The subconscious comes to make the decision for us, when the conscious is confused. But we may listen or not. If we don't listen, then we regret later on, having made the wrong decision. The subconscious is God - Higher MInd - Higher Consciousness - guiding us in the right way always, through voice of conscience and feeling in the heart(subconsciousness).
I don't think that subconscious mind has any relation with God. It is simply a part of our minds. I also think that conscience is an inner voice which is the result of all experience in our lives, what we are Taught and what we are (our genes).
No, the subconscious is God, and it is a part of our mind, it is the holy part of our mind whereas we are the unholy part of our mind, here in Hell for correction, and so scripture talks about becoming a good boy, good girl. "Know ye not that ye are all Gods, and the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?" We are originally from Heaven but fallen here in Hell due to past sinning in past life. We all need to rise, like - "Jesus is risen" - gone back to Heaven.
I don't think so. What I stated is based on a lots of research in the area of mind.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

bahman wrote:
I think the phenomena is like this: The formation of thoughts take time in your mind so you can have only a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear to you. I have done lots of practice on this so I am sure you can do it too.
Well, that might be your belief but it is not supported with any evidence. There is no reason to believe that you can sense a thought before it becomes clear. You are suggesting the capability of having a thought and sensing it at the same time.Sensing is also thought. So what you are really saying is that you can have a thought and think about that thought at the same time. That does not sound plausible.
bahman

Post by bahman »

sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote: I think the phenomena is like this: The formation of thoughts take time in your mind so you can have only a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear to you. I have done lots of practice on this so I am sure you can do it too.
Well, that might be your belief but it is not supported with any evidence. There is no reason to believe that you can sense a thought before it becomes clear. You are suggesting the capability of having a thought and sensing it at the same time.
No, I am arguing that formation of a thought is a conscious phenomena and it obviously takes time. So anyone can sometimes have a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear.
sthitapragya wrote: Sensing is also thought.
That is not correct. Sensing is an experience.
sthitapragya wrote: So what you are really saying is that you can have a thought and think about that thought at the same time. That does not sound plausible.
That is not what I said. I said that I sometimes can have a sense of thought before it become clear to me.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

bahman wrote:
No, I am arguing that formation of a thought is a conscious phenomena and it obviously takes time. So anyone can sometimes have a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear.
The formation of thought itself is just the brain reacting to stimuli. The time taken for the stimuli to reach the brain is not part of formation of thought. The thought is formed when the stimuli is interpreted. So you cannot really have a sense of thought.
sthitapragya wrote: Sensing is also thought.
bahman wrote: That is not correct. Sensing is an experience.
An experience is stored data in the brain which happens after a thought has been analyzed. So by that logic sensing happens after the thought.
sthitapragya wrote: So what you are really saying is that you can have a thought and think about that thought at the same time. That does not sound plausible.
bahman wrote: That is not what I said. I said that I sometimes can have a sense of thought before it become clear to me.
If a sense is an experience it is an after thought because an experience is stored data. Experiences are a collection of stored data which the brain draws from in a feedback loop.
bahman

Post by bahman »

sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote: No, I am arguing that formation of a thought is a conscious phenomena and it obviously takes time. So anyone can sometimes have a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear.
The formation of thought itself is just the brain reacting to stimuli. The time taken for the stimuli to reach the brain is not part of formation of thought. The thought is formed when the stimuli is interpreted. So you cannot really have a sense of thought.
To my understanding a thought is the result of brain process on a subject when it is formed in conscious mind. This formation takes time so we can have a small sense of thought before it completely become clear to us.
sthitapragya

Post by sthitapragya »

bahman wrote:
sthitapragya wrote:
bahman wrote: No, I am arguing that formation of a thought is a conscious phenomena and it obviously takes time. So anyone can sometimes have a sense of thought before the thought becomes clear.
To my understanding a thought is the result of brain process on a subject when it is formed in conscious mind. This formation takes time so we can have a small sense of thought before it completely become clear to us.
But you are ignoring the fact that by your own definition, sense is an experience. Experience is stored data from a thought. So a sense cannot pre-exist any thought. What you are suggesting is that you have thought B (sense) about about thought A while thought A is being formed and before thought A is completed , thought B is formed, completed transferred, stored in the brain as experience and called back so that you can have a sense of the thought A being formed. That is impossible.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

bahman wrote:
Beauty wrote:
bahman wrote:
I don't think so. What I stated is based on a lots of research in the area of mind.
We can always agree to disagree. I don't care what you do or don't do. I only care that I am actually right and would not like to argue on this point with you anymore.
Beauty

Post by Beauty »

bahman wrote:Couldn't we do everything consciously? Why we have subconscious mind?
Consciously - we are in our own mind. Subconsciously - we are in our Higher Mind(Higher Consciousness). I think that explains everything.
ayushraj1806

Post by ayushraj1806 »

I have been reading and writing about subconscious mind for some time . Some research brought me here. I would share some of the knowledge I have and would love to hear all of your inputs on the same.

The Conscious mind is what helps you choose from plentiful options. This is the logical and reasoning part that helps you make decisions.

It tells you that two plus two is four and that you need to stop at red light.

The Subconscious mind, on the other hand, is what makes your heart beat, maintain your body temperature, digest the food, process billions of neural transmissions per second. It maintains our body temperature, blood pressure, etc. whatever be the external condition ( scholars call this the homeostasis).

The interaction b/w the conscious and subconscious is best explained by the example of driving.

When a person is new to driving, he is very focused on how he/she steers the wheel and is very conscious of the traffic or when to shift gears and apply brakes. This is because the conscious mind is in charge at that moment.

Slowly over time when driving becomes a long term affair, you can see the same person easily caressing through traffic while sipping coffee or enjoying the music and that too without much effort.

This change in behavior is because now the knowledge to drive has been acquired over time by the subconscious mind.

Now, other than maintaining our vital body functions, subconscious plays a vital role n shaping our lives. It is the seat of our intuitions, thoughts, and beliefs. It directs our actions based on what we have impressed upon it since our childhood.