How our experiences could be local?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

bahman

How our experiences could be local?

Post by bahman »

This is an amazing phenomena. Suppose that you burn your finger. Your nerves in your finger send signals to your brain. Your brain process the signals and produce feeling of pain in your finger. The interesting question is that your experience of pain is local. How such a thing is possible?
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Of course it's local (confined to me)...you describe how it's local in your post (simply, I apprehend the world and I respond to the world).
Terrapin Station

Re: How our experiences could be local?

Post by Terrapin Station »

I'd not be able to make any sense out of the idea that it could NOT be local. Even if something occurred everywhere, it would have location, first off--it would have every location, of course. Obviously, though, someone burning their finger doesn't occur everywhere. And it certainly doesn't occur nowhere. That would be incoherent, because after all, well, we're positing someone having an experience of burning their finger.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bahman wrote:This is an amazing phenomena. Suppose that you burn your finger. Your nerves in your finger send signals to your brain. Your brain process the signals and produce feeling of pain in your finger. The interesting question is that your experience of pain is local. How such a thing is possible?
Not sure I understand what the issue is? The nerves in your finger are your brain, it's all one CNS. The signal sent contains the location data which is why when fully processed the sensation of a pain is that of a pain in the finger.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

bahman wrote:This is an amazing phenomena. Suppose that you burn your finger. Your nerves in your finger send signals to your brain. Your brain process the signals and produce feeling of pain in your finger. The interesting question is that your experience of pain is local. How such a thing is possible?
I used to have a great technique, of convincing myself that a burn in the finger has nothing to do with me because it is way over there in my finger and not where I am, in my head.
Try it some time. Pain is only a quale.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

The brain signals where the injury location is. Phantom pain is still possible if the same nerve pathway is firing, though the limb is gone.
bahman

Post by bahman »

The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. Pain is the result of process of signal received from the finger.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote:The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. Pain is the result of process of signal received from the finger.
The experience isn't located at your finger, but the injury is.
Impenitent

Post by Impenitent »

the event, the perception of said event, the interpretation of the perception of said event...

all that remains is a rapidly fading memory...

locality is merely another event

-Imp
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

bahman wrote:The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. ...
Then how do you know where the pain is?
Pain is the result of process of signal received from the finger.
Pain is an interesting phenomenon but I think you should stop thinking of a 'brain' and more of a CNS.
bahman

Post by bahman »

Terrapin Station wrote:
bahman wrote: The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. Pain is the result of process of signal received from the finger.
I know that. The brain fantastically simulate the pain such that it seems that pain is in the place of the injury. That is an amazing phenomena to me. Isn't it to you?
bahman

Post by bahman »

Arising_uk wrote:
bahman wrote: The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. ...
Then how do you know where the pain is?
The brain process the signals which receive from the finger such that so it seems that there is a pain in the place of injury.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"it's all one CNS"

Exactly. An organism, a whole, not a collection of parts.
Terrapin Station

bahman wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
bahman wrote: The interesting point is that there is not any pain in finger. Pain is the result of process of signal received from the finger.
I know that. The brain fantastically simulate the pain such that it seems that pain is in the place of the injury. That is an amazing phenomena to me. Isn't it to you?
It's certainly handy that it works so well. ;-)
thedoc

Post by thedoc »

bahman wrote:
Terrapin Station wrote:
To me it would be fantastic and a bit absurd if the brain located the pain anywhere other than at the injury. Of course that could be useful in public, if the injury was to the groin, and the person grabbed their head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zkIz6qLPwc