The Point of philosophy

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote:I could live with their doin' yoga, hugging trees, eating granola if they'd leave me be to, as you say, enjoy my steak. Instead, they go tribal, trundle around my table, and screech 'meat is murder!'.

What I think is, 'Murder? Nah, pal, Bessie on my plate ain't murder...c'mere...let me show you murder.'

What I do is, smile, say nuthin', keep eatin' my steak.
Lol! Yeah, I just like adding the yoga and granola crunching into the mix, as it's funny and so representative of the mindset, as long hair was in the 1960s.
Walker

Re: The Point of philosophy

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Good post Greta. Agreed. There is no 'universal consciousness'. Only individual.
Wrong. There is only one consciousness, which can be called universal consciousness. Sentient beings access portions of the totality of consciousness and each portion is called a state of consciousness. The portions of consciousness that are accessible are determined by the obstructed and unobstructed biological capacity of the particular sentient being. State of consciousness describes the degree of access to the totality (oneness) of consciousness. A mudshark and a saint are both accessing the same consciousness though the perceptions of each are unique and defined by the limitations of their individual capacities and environments.

Same can be said for reality. Only one reality exists. An individual is like a blind man touching what he can touch of a considerably larger elephant called reality, all the while knowing that what he knows is only a portion of the one, apprehension of the one being limited by his capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY
Wrong? You are officially an idiot.

Congratulations.

You access the universe only because you have a consciousness. You don't take in consciousness. .. Holy fuck. Do you just make this shit up as you go along?

Let me explain what a universal consciousness would be like, should it have existed: Everything is delimited by the speed of light, no less thought. So, for arguments sake, we have the big bang, and the universe begins expanding. At maximum size, roughly 13 billion years later, light would have traversed it how many times? Once. Which would mean that the universe is the slowest, most stupid, dullest consciousness possible, only capable of communicating one thought across it's expanse in 13 billion years; it's lifetime. The average retard is a genius in comparison.
“In terms of behavioral correlates of higher-order (or higher-level) consciousness, Baars (2003) argues that working memory, which has been described for humans and other primates by Fuster (2003, p. 155) as “active memory for the short term,” requires consciousness, rather than the other way around.” - http://www.biolbull.org/content/211/2/106.full.pdf

In other words, working memory requires consciousness, it does not generate consciousness as you assert. And what is your dualistic, temporal identity other than working memory? The consciousness requires a source, it is not generated by the individual. What do you think of them apples, little mudslinger who has no logic, no rationality, only personal assertions?

Which is the objective truth of what's going on. You're shitting in one hand and asserting in the other ... we know which one fills first.

:wink:
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

And how did you get onto memory exactly? I said nothing about it. So you are only arguing with yourself, and still losing your own internal debate.

Face it Walker, you have no idea what you are, outside.of the rubbish you've swallowed like a fish on a line. Cut the line, and do some real thinking for yourself.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:And how did you get onto memory exactly? I said nothing about it. So you are only arguing with yourself, and still losing your own internal debate.

Face it Walker, you have no idea what you are, outside.of the rubbish you've swallowed like a fish on a line. Cut the line, and do some real thinking for yourself.
Pity. It must usually thus end in the shallows, seeing as how a modicum of comprehension is a natural requirement for purpose. No wonder the oddball nihilism.

Oh well. Do you best and caulk the rest.

8)
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:And how did you get onto memory exactly? I said nothing about it. So you are only arguing with yourself, and still losing your own internal debate.

Pity. It must usually thus end in the shallows, seeing as how a modicum of comprehension is a natural requirement for purpose. No wonder the oddball nihilism.

8)
Nihilists don't care. I do.

Fact is, you don't address what I say directly. Neither can you defend your ideas through reason.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I can't speak for other folks...mebbe some of you are organic recievers for part of some universal radio signal (universal consciousness).

What I know, as it relates to me alone, is this: my mind, my 'I'ness, my 'self' is an ongoing process with the locus of 'me' being my brain.

'I'ness (mind, self) is what you get when you have a wad of matter of particular and peculiar complexity, structure, and composition (a human brain) embedded in a larger wad of mobile matter (a human body) embedded in the world.

At least as far as I'm concerned, there is no need for universal consciousness cuz I'm the rider and the ride.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:

8)
Nihilists don't care. I do.

Fact is, you don't address what I say directly. Neither can you defend your ideas through reason.
Wrong again. You're on a roll.
Walker

Re:

Post by Walker »

henry quirk wrote:I can't speak for other folks...mebbe some of you are organic recievers for part of some universal radio signal (universal consciousness).

What I know, as it relates to me alone, is this: my mind, my 'I'ness, my 'self' is an ongoing process with the locus of 'me' being my brain.

'I'ness (mind, self) is what you get when you have a wad of matter of particular and peculiar complexity, structure, and composition (a human brain) embedded in a larger wad of mobile matter (a human body) embedded in the world.

At least as far as I'm concerned, there is no need for universal consciousness cuz I'm the rider and the ride.
:D

That's good. The driver and the passenger, the engine and the brakes. Do they still make those child seats with a little plastic steering wheel so the child can control the turns? They may not have survived the evolution of tort and the balancing devolution of common sense.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote: Nihilists don't care. I do.

QED.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote: Nihilists don't care. I do.

QED.
From what I know of Daleks, they have a vocabulary limited by and expressed with the single focus of ... exterminate! :shock:

Consciousness is. Any particular access to consciousness is in accord with capacity and is called a state of consciousness. The awareness that you are, interdependent with the form which you also are but not exclusively, is like an ocean drop, and the ocean is consciousness. The ocean is consciousness and you are a drop … stir in humorless and you’re a drip.

“Memory can enter consciousness in a multitude of forms and states.”
http://www.biolbull.org/content/211/2/106.full.pdf p. 107
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

We don't access consciousness, or enter it, except when waking up in the morning from a deep sleep. We are the consciousness.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:We don't access consciousness, or enter it, except when waking up in the morning from a deep sleep. We are the consciousness ...

"... interdependent with the form which you also are but not exclusively."

Have you not as awareness observed the body in deep sleep?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:We don't access consciousness, or enter it, except when waking up in the morning from a deep sleep. We are the consciousness ...

"... interdependent with the form which you also are but not exclusively."

Have you not as awareness observed the body in deep sleep?
No. I have lucid dreamed, but there is no awareness in deep sleep. Have you ever been knocked unconscious?(not a threat, BTW lol!). That's why we call it unconscious. There is none at the time. I have had a fugue before. Two actually. And it' given me a good reference to what death is like. It's the end of consciousness.

And we do not take in consciousness. We take in external stimulus.
Walker

Post by Walker »

:D
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Tried accessing the universal consciousness this morning...got a 'service not available in your area' message...guess I'm stuck with what I can cobble together on my own.