The Point of philosophy

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Dalek Prime

Re: The Point of philosophy

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:The disturbing malignancy of consciousness belongs to all humans...
Nah! Like I said, its you.
If you look deep enough. ...
You find what you put there.
You're safe though. You're so shallow I can see the silt.
Course you can.
We're done. You have nothing to offer.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Oh woe is me.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Wauw! ..OP is nothing but pure nonsense and babble!!!
the most difficult achievement for us human beings to accomplish in the universe,is being able to define the universe itself and our own life's in it.
What has the universe to do with anything? ...NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! This is but mad ramblings!!

Does billionaires know about astrophysics?!? ..not much, but they know how to earn money, how to make good deals ..etc, does a surgeon know astrophysics?!? ..no ..but he knows where to cut, the procedures, etc! Does an engineer know about astrophysics?!? ..probably not much, but he can build tall buildings, bridges, airplanes, advanced engines ..etc,etc ..but astrophysics?!? ..not necessarily.

Everything in your post are pure garbage, and it's so tragic how many that doesn't see it for what it really is!
Greta

Post by Greta »

mystical_universe wrote:As long as we can't experience life as 1 single organism, we will never succeed in our quest of finding that which we seek in our lives operating as a community.

But if we look at our life's and the universe as one and the same, we create the possibility of describing and defining our own personal universe, by just describing our life's and how we have defined them for ourselves to be.
MU, yes, we are selfish because we can only experience the self. We know that we are part of a community and can probably empathise with some others in varying degrees, but it's far from the same as direct experience. If there was a major infrastructure breakdown, and you and your kids were starving, your circle of empathy would shrink fast.

So, while the biosphere can thought of as a single, constantly metamorphosing entity, it's purely conceptual. You cannot directly experience the larger containing system as a whole, only in the part that you are. By the same token, your gut bacteria cannot know the entirety of you.

Some think that peak experiences are actually the direct experience of larger containing systems but that's obviously speculative.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Good post Greta. Agreed. There is no 'universal consciousness'. Only individual.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:Good post Greta. Agreed. There is no 'universal consciousness'. Only individual.
Wrong. There is only one consciousness, which can be called universal consciousness. Sentient beings access portions of the totality of consciousness and each portion is called a state of consciousness. The portions of consciousness that are accessible are determined by the obstructed and unobstructed biological capacity of the particular sentient being. State of consciousness describes the degree of access to the totality (oneness) of consciousness. A mudshark and a saint are both accessing the same consciousness though the perceptions of each are unique and defined by the limitations of their individual capacities and environments.

Same can be said for reality. Only one reality exists. An individual is like a blind man touching what he can touch of a considerably larger elephant called reality, all the while knowing that what he knows is only a portion of the one, apprehension of the one being limited by his capacity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bQnxlHZsjY
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Good post Greta. Agreed. There is no 'universal consciousness'. Only individual.
Wrong. There is only one consciousness, which can be called universal consciousness. Sentient beings access portions of the totality of consciousness and each portion is called a state of consciousness. The portions of consciousness that are accessible are determined by the obstructed and unobstructed biological capacity of the particular sentient being. State of consciousness describes the degree of access to the totality (oneness) of consciousness. A mudshark and a saint are both accessing the same consciousness though the perceptions of each are unique and defined by the limitations of their individual capacities and environments.

Same can be said for reality. Only one reality exists. An individual is like a blind man touching what he can touch of a considerably larger elephant called reality, all the while knowing that what he knows is only a portion of the one, apprehension of the one being limited by his capacity.

Wrong? You are officially an idiot.

Congratulations.

You access the universe only because you have a consciousness. You don't take in consciousness. .. Holy fuck. Do you just make this shit up as you go along?

Let me explain what a universal consciousness would be like, should it have existed: Everything is delimited by the speed of light, no less thought. So, for arguments sake, we have the big bang, and the universe begins expanding. At maximum size, roughly 13 billion years later, light would have traversed it how many times? Once. Which would mean that the universe is the slowest, most stupid, dullest consciousness possible, only capable of communicating one thought across it's expanse in 13 billion years; it's lifetime. The average retard is a genius in comparison.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:
Walker wrote:

Wrong? You are officially an idiot.

Congratulations.

You access the universe only because you have a consciousness. You don't take in consciousness. .. Holy fuck. Do you just make this shit up as you go along?

Let me explain what a universal consciousness would be like, should it have existed: Everything is delimited by the speed of light, no less thought. So, for arguments sake, we have the big bang, and the universe begins expanding. At maximum size, roughly 13 billion years later, light would have traversed it how many times? Once. Which would mean that the universe is the slowest, most stupid, dullest consciousness possible, only capable of communicating one thought across it's expanse in 13 billion years; it's lifetime. The average retard is a genius in comparison.
I see you take exception to being called wrong, and when you take exception rational based discourse suffers defenestration.

Your expression represents a state of consciousness that is a portion of the totality of consciousness, limited by your capacity of apprehension, but by no means unique to your individuality.

The empirical evidence of this truth, is that two individual life forms accessing the totality of consciousness based on their capacity, can share the same state of consciousness.

Simply observe the birds.

Or simple think the same thoughts as another person, which is not uncommon to those stimulated by the same environment, particularly those of similar biological capacity and limitations who have lived a lifetime together.

This is what Sri Ramana Maharshi was alluding to when he said that you are the body, however you are not this body exclusively.

How lucky for you to be a human being with this capacity, only limited by whatever governs your state of consciousness.
Last edited by Walker on Wed May 18, 2016 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker, you're as smart as the universe.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Lucky to have a consciousness that has to suffer imbeciles like you? Fuck that. I'll take nonexistence any day.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

Seems to me philosophizing is supposed to be about thinking deeply and honestly about things.

Seems to me what really happens is dickering about how much ghost farts weigh.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Walker, no one shares the exact same consciousness. If so, tell me what I'm looking at this moment? Oh, you're not accessing my brain, and taking in the same visual imagery?

Say in a program, there are two object of the same name. Are they equal?. No, because they are at different addresses in memory, even if they hold the same number. They are two distinct instances of the number.
Dalek Prime

Re:

Post by Dalek Prime »

henry quirk wrote:Seems to me philosophizing is supposed to be about thinking deeply and honestly about things.

Seems to me what really happens is dickering about how much ghost farts weigh.
Yep.

I'll tell you what bugs me Henry, and it seems to be Western self-proclaimed Buddhist enlightened who do it the most. They stumble on little ideas in a new age book, and all of a sudden they are gurus themselves. No thought to what they read. Just an 'oh yeah cool universal consciousness' bullshit. Then to make things worse, they do yoga and crunch granola, while I'm trying to just sit on my arse and enjoy a nice juicy steak.

Modern hippies. That's the sum of it.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Wed May 18, 2016 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Reminds me of a classic line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hkw-qYEWQ

:lol:
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

I could live with their doin' yoga, hugging trees, eating granola if they'd leave me be to, as you say, enjoy my steak. Instead, they go tribal, trundle around my table, and screech 'meat is murder!'.

What I think is, 'Murder? Nah, pal, Bessie on my plate ain't murder...c'mere...let me show you murder.'

What I do is, smile, say nuthin', keep eatin' my steak.