The Point of philosophy

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

mystical_universe

The Point of philosophy

Post by mystical_universe »

......The Point of philosophy......

the most difficult achievement for us human beings to accomplish in the universe,
is being able to define the universe itself and our own life's in it.

It seems to be an impossible task,
an impossible task we humans seem not able to let go of.

This is being caused by our extreme thirst for knowledge we all have hardwired in ourselves,
this makes it an non optional quest we shall carrie with us until the very end of our lives.

Instead of exhausting our energy by delaying the inevitable,
we should focus it on trying to unravel all the mysteries of our lives, and of the universe where it resides.

The first step is forgetting all the knowledge we’ve obtained so far about our existence and the universe.

This will prevent us from getting obscured ideas and visions, they will only hinder and demean our chances of having a revelation or epiphany.

We all live our life's according to our general idea and perception we take from life itself.

Starting at birth we are being fed all sorts of misleading information caused by the education we get from others.
This is responsible for our current vision of the universe and how we perceive it to be.

By realizing this we move on to the next step.

Try to examine and speculate about life itself and our existence without presuming any other information.
Because when it comes right down to it, all we humans really are, are confused Ignorant dwellers of the unexplainable phenomena we can only describe as the cosmological process we call life.

Its impossible to define and impossible to describe.

The reason why that is, is that the influence it has on the dweller individually varies drastically from all others.

The ultimate reason why defining things is so impossible, is because of the extremely sophisticated and complex nature of how we experience things.

The interpretation of the incoming information is being processed by all the observers differently.

Which result in different ways of vision, Purpose, understanding, expectation and believe.

The only true fact and knowledge we can have of life is that its impossible and pointless to compare 1 Live with that of another.

Each life is to be considered unique and therefore impossible of having identical visions, Ideas and theories about what the universe represents, and what it means for us humans to be alive.

As long as we can't experience life as 1 single organism, we will never succeed in our quest of finding that which we seek in our lives operating as a community.

But if we look at our life's and the universe as one and the same, we create the possibility of describing and defining our own personal universe, by just describing our life's and how we have defined them for ourselves to be.

At least this way we've created a universe with the ability of comprehending it.

It is time we come to the realization that,

the life that we live, is the universe we experience.
Dalek Prime

Re: The Point of philosophy

Post by Dalek Prime »

It's not impossible to define what we are in the universe. It's just unpalatable to most to accept what we are. And so philosophy avoids it, and lies to itself. And by philosophy, I mean the philosophers. And so it will never go anywhere near the truth, or if it does, it will avoid the plunge, with some romantic bullshit notion. Most of the existentialists did this themselves, and I loathe them for it.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dalek Prime wrote: Most of the existentialists did this themselves, and I loathe them for it.
Wow. Those existentialists must have done something really bad to you to make you feel like that about them.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote:It's not impossible to define what we are in the universe. It's just unpalatable to most to accept what we are. And so philosophy avoids it, and lies to itself. And by philosophy, I mean the philosophers. And so it will never go anywhere near the truth, or if it does, it will avoid the plunge, with some romantic bullshit notion. Most of the existentialists did this themselves, and I loathe them for it.
Agree completely. When you say...And so it will never go anywhere near the truth..., it really cannot because if philosophy were to it would cease to be philosophy, the truth of it being only a trite fact with as much significance as squirrels hoarding nuts. A great deal of philosophy consists in the art of lamination and value-added so as not to make ourselves wretched with the truth which negates any such self proclaimed superiority which philosophers create more as mystery than as fact. Consciousness has a way of 'crowning' itself beyond its own limits.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Harbal wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Most of the existentialists did this themselves, and I loathe them for it.
Wow. Those existentialists must have done something really bad to you to make you feel like that about them.
It's akin to getting the best golfing partners at the most important tournament, who then lose it on the simplest of putts.
Last edited by Dalek Prime on Sun May 15, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:It's not impossible to define what we are in the universe. It's just unpalatable to most to accept what we are. And so philosophy avoids it, and lies to itself. And by philosophy, I mean the philosophers. And so it will never go anywhere near the truth, or if it does, it will avoid the plunge, with some romantic bullshit notion. Most of the existentialists did this themselves, and I loathe them for it.
Agree completely. When you say...And so it will never go anywhere near the truth..., it really cannot because if philosophy were to it would cease to be philosophy, the truth of it being only a trite fact with as much significance as squirrels hoarding nuts. A great deal of philosophy consists in the art of lamination and value-added so as not to make ourselves wretched with the truth which negates any such self proclaimed superiority which philosophers create more as mystery than as fact. Consciousness has a way of 'crowning' itself beyond its own limits.
Not really. Plenty of minor details to keep philosophers busy for ages. But yeah, consciousness is the problem. It's the alpha and omega of philosophy, in my considered opinion. And I'll be honest with you; I find something disturbingly malignant about human consciousness. I can't put my finger on it, as it's more a feeling than anything else. But it's there nevertheless, and the closest anyone has gotten to that feeling in writing is either Lovecraft in his fiction, or Thomas Ligotti in his only nonfiction book 'The Conspiracy Against the Human Race'. But trying to suss what that ill-feeling is, is like trying to look at something which is always in the corner of your eye.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:... And I'll be honest with you; I find something disturbingly malignant about human consciousness. I can't put my finger on it, as it's more a feeling than anything else. ... But trying to suss what that ill-feeling is, is like trying to look at something which is always in the corner of your eye.
It's you.
Dubious

Post by Dubious »

Dalek Prime wrote: Plenty of minor details to keep philosophers busy for ages.
True, footnotes now best describe the contemporary state of philosophy.
But yeah, consciousness is the problem. It's the alpha and omega of philosophy, in my considered opinion.
It's alpha and omega of Being itself since you're only alive to the extent that you're consciousness.
And I'll be honest with you; I find something disturbingly malignant about human consciousness. I can't put my finger on it, as it's more a feeling than anything else. But it's there nevertheless, and the closest anyone has gotten to that feeling in writing is either Lovecraft in his fiction, or Thomas Ligotti in his only nonfiction book 'The Conspiracy Against the Human Race'. But trying to suss what that ill-feeling is, is like trying to look at something which is always in the corner of your eye.
Consciousness possesses instincts of its own inimical to itself and far beyond what's supplied to other creatures. The one word for me that best delineates its most malignant aspects is perversity which describes a whole spectrum of behaviors from a never yielding lust for power to downright sadism. Humans can create any number of reasons to justify anything. Consciousness has an equal ability to camouflage motive as it has to create the reasons for it ... meaning it contains its own toxins like an eclipse of the brain which only allows for a sliver of light to emerge and what we often behold in that dimness are the monstrosities of its own creation.

I read Lovecraft a lot back when. His imagination was and remains astounding but for the real tales of terror across the planet there is nothing more potent than history itself. It's the real chronicle and confirmation of what's malignant in human consciousness to which no one's immune...even Mother Teresa. If life could give a preview prior to being born, I wonder how many of us would be here...or maybe I don't!
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:... And I'll be honest with you; I find something disturbingly malignant about human consciousness. I can't put my finger on it, as it's more a feeling than anything else. ... But trying to suss what that ill-feeling is, is like trying to look at something which is always in the corner of your eye.
It's you.
Say, didn't we meet at the Management office the other day? :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19065&start=15
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Dubious wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote: Plenty of minor details to keep philosophers busy for ages.
True, footnotes now best describe the contemporary state of philosophy.
But yeah, consciousness is the problem. It's the alpha and omega of philosophy, in my considered opinion.
It's alpha and omega of Being itself since you're only alive to the extent that you're consciousness.
And I'll be honest with you; I find something disturbingly malignant about human consciousness. I can't put my finger on it, as it's more a feeling than anything else. But it's there nevertheless, and the closest anyone has gotten to that feeling in writing is either Lovecraft in his fiction, or Thomas Ligotti in his only nonfiction book 'The Conspiracy Against the Human Race'. But trying to suss what that ill-feeling is, is like trying to look at something which is always in the corner of your eye.
Consciousness possesses instincts of its own inimical to itself and far beyond what's supplied to other creatures. The one word for me that best delineates its most malignant aspects is perversity which describes a whole spectrum of behaviors from a never yielding lust for power to downright sadism. Humans can create any number of reasons to justify anything. Consciousness has an equal ability to camouflage motive as it has to create the reasons for it ... meaning it contains its own toxins like an eclipse of the brain which only allows for a sliver of light to emerge and what we often behold in that dimness are the monstrosities of its own creation.

I read Lovecraft a lot back when. His imagination was and remains astounding but for the real tales of terror across the planet there is nothing more potent than history itself. It's the real chronicle and confirmation of what's malignant in human consciousness to which no one's immune...even Mother Teresa. If life could give a preview prior to being born, I wonder how many of us would be here...or maybe I don't!
Life does give us a preview, Dub. Yet the lessons of the preview are clearly lost on parents. It's not the kids' fault or decision.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:Say, didn't we meet at the Management office the other day? :lol:
Are you saying this feeling isn't you?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:
Dalek Prime wrote:Say, didn't we meet at the Management office the other day? :lol:
Are you saying this feeling isn't you?
Clearly, that is what I wrote, before you asked. But since you have a tendency to say 'Its you' to others, I assumed you were being a dumbass. What else wouldn't be me, exactly? My consciousness is all me, whatever else others have polluted it with. Now, you have a point to make?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

My mistake, when you said 'human consciousness' I thought you were referring to the rest of us but since you mean your consciousness gives you a disturbingly malignant feeling I now fully understand and agree with you.
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

Arising_uk wrote:My mistake, when you said 'human consciousness' I thought you were referring to the rest of us but since you mean your consciousness gives you a disturbingly malignant feeling I now fully understand and agree with you.
Now there's a surprise. You were being a dumbass. The feeling is mine. The disturbing malignancy of consciousness belongs to all humans...

If you look deep enough. You're safe though. You're so shallow I can see the silt.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dalek Prime wrote:The disturbing malignancy of consciousness belongs to all humans...
Nah! Like I said, its you.
If you look deep enough. ...
You find what you put there.
You're safe though. You're so shallow I can see the silt.
Course you can.