Jean-Dominique Bauby & The Hell We Exist In

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Obvious Leo

Re: Jean-Dominique Bauby & The Hell We Exist In

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dontaskme wrote: Your weak response shows you have not matured enough
I've matured enough to know that if you want to shoot your mouth off in a philosophy forum it pays to firstly acquaint yourself with the extant body of knowledge and to secondly understand the rules of engagement by which the philosophical discourse proceeds. Otherwise people might be inclined to leap to the conclusion that they're being preached to by a dickhead.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Dontaskme wrote:Your obviously curious about what consciousness is, ...
Probably for a lot longer than you.
so watch this video and it explains what you are trying to understand, it's the best I could find for you....please report back when you've watched it, ...
Here's my report Sir!
Well it's always nice to listen to John Searle. Not much I hadn't thought was the case and obviously done in Searle's inimitable style and with more clarity than I could muster. But I'm puzzled that you are putting this forward to support what you've so far proposed. Did you listen to the first five minutes? As you appear to have missed the bit where he said 'consciousness is a biological phenomena'. The only thing I can think that leads you to think that he'd support your ideas is his phrase 'unified conscious field' but he is not positing something external to the body here, he's describing how it works in a Body with senses in an external world. You also appear to miss the bit where he thinks the idea that consciousness is an illusion is complete nonsense?

So I ask you again, what do you mean by 'consciousness', what you mean by this 'seer' and do you believe that 'consciousness' is something other than a product of being a body with senses in an external world?
if you don't then I'll know you are being a complete empty headed waste of space, and are just following me around for your own ego entertainment value. ...
Not another paranoid narcissist! You're posting in a Philosophy forum, no-one is following you about.
Not really interested in learning anything else other than what you want to hear, which is fine, because that is the nature of human mind.
Given that you think Searle's lecture supports what you appear to propose I think this describes the nature of your mind very well.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Darkness imprisoning me

All that I see

Absolute horror

I cannot live

I cannot die

Trapped in myself

Body my holding cell

Welcome to YOUR world. When all is said & done - our reality. OUR world.

Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Obvious Leo wrote:
Dontaskme wrote: Your weak response shows you have not matured enough
I've matured enough to know that if you want to shoot your mouth off in a philosophy forum it pays to firstly acquaint yourself with the extant body of knowledge and to secondly understand the rules of engagement by which the philosophical discourse proceeds. Otherwise people might be inclined to leap to the conclusion that they're being preached to by a dickhead.
And by rules of engagement you mean profuse name calling and swearing when you don't get what you want to hear.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dontaskme wrote:
And by rules of engagement you mean profuse name calling and swearing when you don't get what you want to hear.
No. I mean being willing to substantiate one's claims with carefully reasoned argument when called upon to do so. Pulpit pronouncements of one's superior insights don't cut it.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: That's why I know where Bill is at with his posts. It's kind of like a silent understanding, a knowing, without having to get the thinking process involved, there is just straight forward understanding without the need for words.
It's fortunate for you that this is the case, if understanding Bill is you goal, the thinking process and the coherent use of words are not two of his greatest strengths.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Dontaskme wrote: Existence is essentially tacit, the conceptual overlay superimposed is nothing but junk, so why would one want to get bogged down with the petty details, the devil is in the details. That's what Bill means. Understanding Bill is not my goal. I understand. There is no goal, there is either understanding or not understanding.
I notice that you didn't dispute my assessment of his thinking and writing ability.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

You are projecting your own mental musings of what you think of me, which is not what I am, this is not about superiority over others, or one-up-man-ships, it's about sharing a common truth that embodies every aspect of our lives as a human species. There is only one thing that philosophy needs to be studying and that is consciousness; every thing else is an illusion, but no fault of anyone at all since the mind has only got it's narratives, dreams and illusions to cling to, else there is nothing showing up.

...you are a genius. You just schooled this member & the entire membership here. Including me.

Well done.

Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Bill Wiltrack wrote:.
...you are a genius. You just schooled this member & the entire membership here. Including me.

And the tragedy is you are the only one who can see it. That is why he loves you.
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Dontaskme wrote: Real remains the same without change.
This is not a definition of reality I've ever encountered in philosophy before. What does it mean?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

Obvious Leo wrote:What does it mean?
In order for you to understand he would have to tell you without using words, according to what you said earlier.
Dontaskme

Post by Dontaskme »

Last edited by Dontaskme on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.