Do humans have instinct?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Do humans have instinct?

Post by Philosophy Explorer »

I've looked up the definition of instinct which implies the lower animals have it.

If so then why did humans lose it? At what point in evolution did mankind lose its instincts. I believe we still have the instinct for survival, both individually and as a group and our brain developed simultaneously to make up for our shortcomings in our lost instincts.

What do you think about all this?

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Re: Do humans have instinct?

Post by Obvious Leo »

What on earth makes you think that humans don't have instincts?
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:What on earth makes you think that humans don't have instincts?
Not what I said. I said we lost many of our instincts as we've gone through evolution. For example birds build nests, not through thought, but through natural instinct. Do we build homes instinctively? Only a few do that for themselves and for others, not through instinct, but through getting paid.

Besides an instinct for survival, what instincts do you think humans have?

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You're fucking kidding, surely. Where does this crazy idea come from? Who says we don't have instincts?
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:You're fucking kidding, surely. Where does this crazy idea come from? Who says we don't have instincts?
Certainly not me. You're just repeating your mistake. I never said that humans don't have instincts. Reread my OP. You're also avoiding my challenge to come up with more than the instinct for survival for humans.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Where would I start? Maternal instinct, mating instinct, language instinct, competitive instinct, social instinct.

Just a few to get you started.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:Where would I start? Maternal instinct, mating instinct, language instinct, competitive instinct, social instinct.

I've already started. There are some who say it doesn't exist (see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instinct)

So where would you start? Anywhere you like - pick those you feel where the evidence is strongest. Unless that's too hard for you to do.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

I can't be bothered. The topic is ridiculous.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:I can't be bothered. The topic is ridiculous.
Then why did you post to my thread? The title and OP were explicit.

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

You said that humans didn't have instincts. I was simply pointing out that this statement is bullshit and you haven't tried to substantiate it since.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:You said that humans didn't have instincts. I was simply pointing out that this statement is bullshit and you haven't tried to substantiate it since.
Your statement is bullshit. Not what I said. Stop trying to put words into my mouth. Reread my OP which substantiates what I said. So which instincts do humans have?

PhilX
Obvious Leo

Post by Obvious Leo »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:At what point in evolution did mankind lose its instincts.
Philosophy Explorer

Obvious Leo wrote:
Philosophy Explorer wrote:At what point in evolution did mankind lose its instincts.
You must be stupid. There's a difference between losing its instincts and losing all of its instincts (which I've never said). Also I did say immediately after: "I believe we still have the instinct for survival" so dummy, where is your argument now?

PhilX
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Obvious Leo wrote:... Maternal instinct, mating instinct, language instinct, competitive instinct, social instinct.

Walker

Post by Walker »

Philosophy Explorer wrote:I've looked up the definition of instinct which implies the lower animals have it.

If so then why did humans lose it? At what point in evolution did mankind lose its instincts. I believe we still have the instinct for survival, both individually and as a group and our brain developed simultaneously to make up for our shortcomings in our lost instincts.

What do you think about all this?

PhilX
Survival is one word to explain complex activity in terms of instinct. Survival is powerful. Survival is not always paramount. Is there a single word or phrase to describe what instinct overrides survival, that applies to every instance of survival override? Given mans' thoughtful nature, an instinct more powerful than survival must have a single associated concept.