Sociopath!

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

raw_thought

Re: Sociopath!

Post by raw_thought »

raw_thought wrote:Ok, what do you disagree with?)
1. There are degrees of mental illness.
2. That the self is unknown because metaphorically speaking, an eye cannot see itself.
Simply, calling me names without any argument is childish.
“Ignorant is not a name: the name of the ignorant person would be Ignoramus..”
Skip
Semantics! It is obvious that when one calls a person ignorant, that is an insult.
ME
“Anyway, this thread is not about you or me. Stop being so trivial. I really do not care about my virtual reputation. Simply, address the issues. * Not who is a poopy head and who is not.”
ME
“… using the expression "poopy head" outside of junior kindergarten.”
Skip
Regardless of the semantics (do you have Asperger’s?) , it is obvious that what I meant was that your insults are as childish as calling me a poopy head.
* Once again!!! What statement or statements I made that you consider ignorant?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

raw_thought wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
raw_thought wrote:????
I am not calling anyone inferior! I am saying that if ANYONE (white,black, etc) is a sociopath (one that has no feelings for human beings) has any feelings for himself (considering that the sociopath is himself a human being).
I honestly have no idea how you came up with such a weird interpretation of what I wrote.
Your thinking is at fault as you are led by the categories.
People do not conform to categories, categories are used to describe people.

Thus for any given sociopath, if the attribution is good, indicates for that person a tendency to be antisocial. This says nothing about an attitude to himself, but to others. Any given sociopath is as likely to be a narcissist as any other person. In fact his or her narcissism might be the reason s/he has been attributed the term sociopath - only cares for himself.
Of course there are degrees of mental illness. For example, some are more neurotic then others. Similarly, there are degrees of sociopathy. The most severe case would be one that doesnt even care about himself. That is the inevitable end of the sociopathic path.
What do you not understand by "YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT"?
Sociopathy is not a smooth linear line from weak to extreme - there are types within that. And no - sociopathy says NOTHING whatever about self loathing. The most loving, friendly and caring people can hate themselves.
The question I pose is more philosophical then sociological. Since the self (an eye cannot see itself) is unknowable to the self,how is it distinguishable from other egos.
You've posed nothing of a philosophical nature at all.
Skip

Post by Skip »

raw_thought wrote:
raw_thought wrote:Ok, what do you disagree with?)
1. There are degrees of mental illness.
2. That the self is unknown because metaphorically speaking, an eye cannot see itself.
Simply, calling me names without any argument is childish.
“Ignorant is not a name: the name of the ignorant person would be Ignoramus..”
Skip
Semantics! It is obvious that when one calls a person ignorant, that is an insult.
ME
“Anyway, this thread is not about you or me. Stop being so trivial. I really do not care about my virtual reputation. Simply, address the issues. * Not who is a poopy head and who is not.”
ME
“… using the expression "poopy head" outside of junior kindergarten.”
Skip
Regardless of the semantics (do you have Asperger’s?) , it is obvious that what I meant was that your insults are as childish as calling me a poopy head.
* Once again!!! What statement or statements I made that you consider ignorant?
Well, if you are this comprehensionally challenged, let's make it simple:
You are an ignoramus and every statement you've made on this thread is inaccurate.
What's amazing is how many kinds of ignorant a person can be and still function.
raw_thought

Post by raw_thought »

Dear Troll,
Since you have no arguments or evidence and only offer name calling, I ( as almost everyone else has) will ignore you.
Not a philosophical statement? Trying to define the self is a philosophical question.I was addressing that question when I asked how can one differentiate one's self from other selves when one is unaware of that self ( an eye cannot see itself) .
Your point that sociopathy is not a smooth line, has nothing to do with our argument. Similarly , if evolution is gradual or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium has no impact on the validity of evolution.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

raw_thought wrote:Dear Troll,
Since you have no arguments or evidence and only offer name calling, I ( as almost everyone else has) will ignore you.
Not a philosophical statement? Trying to define the self is a philosophical question.I was addressing that question when I asked how can one differentiate one's self from other selves when one is unaware of that self ( an eye cannot see itself) .
Your point that sociopathy is not a smooth line, has nothing to do with our argument. Similarly , if evolution is gradual or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punctuated_equilibrium has no impact on the validity of evolution.
Though it's often seemingly used incorrectly, the word Ignorant is not a description of ones abilities, rather it's a remark on ones knowledge of a particular topic/s. And like everything, it's relative, a matter of perspective. We are all ignorant of a great many things, though they are not necessarily the same things. When we agree with one another, it speaks of the similarity of our beliefs on a particular topic, not that they are necessarily true. Conversely, when we disagree with one another, it speaks of the dissimilarity of our beliefs on a particular topic, again, not that either is necessarily true or false. Though we tend to believe, that the one that is more commonly accepted as being true, is in fact true. And in truth, this may or may not be the case. Only time can bear out the truth, but how much time is enough? Only time shall tell. Hmmmmm!

For instance, skip has never been a troll. Though once, he never really engaged anyone other than in the threads about PN's articles.
His views were always articulate, and well thought out. Which has nothing to do with one agreeing with him, or their truth value.

Philosophy can open ones eyes to the various facets of truth values, not that we all necessarily share them.

Nothing personal RT, but you often seemingly display ignorance of various topics, which at least tends to cause me to believe that you are either relatively young, are somewhat closed minded, or have not really been exposed to some of the things you decide to comment on.

All I have are your words to judge, so it is true that all I can say with regard to the truth of this matter is that, relatively they seem to indicate such, that I've attempted to convey. I'm trying to be a diplomatic as possible, though I'm definitely no diplomat.
Skip

Post by Skip »

You've just got to love SOB for his fairness!
Thanks, you're a mensch.
SpheresOfBalance

Post by SpheresOfBalance »

Skip wrote:You've just got to love SOB for his fairness!
Thanks, you're a mensch.
Thanks skip, but only sometimes, only sometimes! :shock: