Do you regard the human brain as the most complex object in the universe?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: Do you regard the human brain as the most complex object in the universe?

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Harbal wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
When we kill a dolphin we destroy a mind far greater than out own.
In your case there are any number of things you could kill and say the same thing.
Like a sponge.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:As you can see dolphins have far more complex than the human brain.
This is particularly interesting since it is known that the number of convolutions directly relates to higher brain functions such as consciousness and awareness.

Tell that to those bastard Japanese and the shit-heads at Sea World.
Stop being such a SJW PC turd!
vegetariantaxidermy

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:As you can see dolphins have far more complex than the human brain.
This is particularly interesting since it is known that the number of convolutions directly relates to higher brain functions such as consciousness and awareness.

Like a sponge. :roll:
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

No, it's not the most complex organ, the soul is. The brain is only a relay station for the sensory body to the subtle body of consciousness or soul. People with big souls never have enough material body, perceptions, and neuron synapses, to run their subtle bodies properly hence a lot of intelligent/creative loons who need meds to slow down the brain which is being overloaded with data. :lol: The end.

A soul is our hard drive (long term memory) and emotional output center. I'm tired so I'm probably leaving out...its eternal, but for some reason it gets wiped clean before birth or rebirth if you believe in that stuff. I'm not sure about the reincarnation factor, but fairly sure about the eternal aspect and the memory wipe.
Walker

Post by Walker »

WendyDarling wrote:No, it's not the most complex organ, the soul is. The brain is only a relay station for the sensory body to the subtle body of consciousness or soul. People with big souls never have enough material body, perceptions, and neuron synapses, to run their subtle bodies properly hence a lot of intelligent/creative loons who need meds to slow down the brain which is being overloaded with data. :lol: The end.

A soul is our hard drive (long term memory) and emotional output center. I'm tired so I'm probably leaving out...its eternal, but for some reason it gets wiped clean before birth or rebirth if you believe in that stuff. I'm not sure about the reincarnation factor, but fairly sure about the eternal aspect and the memory wipe.
Hello WendyDarling. How are the lost boys?

Scientists say that newborns smile because of gas.
That explains nothing.

- Babies are human.
- I am human.
- I and other humans don’t smile when I have gas.
- Ergo: scientists are presenting speculation as fact.

Babies are human.
- I am human.
- I smile when I remember the good times.
- And, some folks say that when newborns smile, they too are remembering the good times … from the previous life.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:

Meat on the hoof.

Question: if hidden tribe folks are so smart, why must they be taught to not eat monkey brains?
What about all that ancestral knowledge?

Looks like cauliflower. Yum. :roll:

Note the relatively distinct separation in the hemispheres. I once heard on the radio that half of Flipper’s brain is always asleep.

Is that big base the basal ganglia? That’s where habits are in humans, so say the scientists. Much smaller in humans than in dolphins, which indicates that Flipper lives by habit. Her brain convolutions are also much smaller and shallower than a human brain, and we know what humans do with their thick and deep brain furrows. The comparison indicates that the top part of Flipper’s brain functions primarily to serve the ganglia, which also serves the simple function of infrastructure maintenance.

This is all inference based on the question. Can scientists or researchers verify or must we dissect or worse, vivisect?

Oh wait ... I have to go enjoy the all inventions made by dolphins, with their big brains.
Greta

Post by Greta »

From a physics forum:
A better predictor of intelligence would the ratio of brain mass to surface area. This ratio is proportional to the encephalization quotient (EQ). The EQ is the ratio of brain mass to a power law with a 2/3 exponent. Roughly, the EQ is proportional to the ratio between brain volume and skin area. In terms of EQ, the bottlenose dolphin is second to humans in intelligence. According to its EQ, the bottlenose dolphin may have an intelligence greater than chimpanzees but less than that of humans.

Scientists usually us a scaling parameter called the encephalization quotient (EQ) to estimate intelligence. According to some models, the EQ should correlate with intelligence. However, this is at best an approximation. As you point out, the structure and organization of the brain is also important. However, I don’t know of any quantitative parameters to take into account structure of the brain. So all we have for quantitative discussion is the EQ.
The brain of mammals to adult body mass as a power law with an exponent on or about 2/3. The ratio of actual brain mass to the mass predicted by this formula is referred to as the encephalization quotient (EQ). According to Table 1 in the following link:

Humans have an EQ of about 7.6
Bottlenose dolphins have an EQ of 4.14
Chimpanzees have an EQ of about 2.3
Dogs have an EQ of 1.2.
WendyDarling

Post by WendyDarling »

Walker wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:No, it's not the most complex organ, the soul is. The brain is only a relay station for the sensory body to the subtle body of consciousness or soul. People with big souls never have enough material body, perceptions, and neuron synapses, to run their subtle bodies properly hence a lot of intelligent/creative loons who need meds to slow down the brain which is being overloaded with data. :lol: The end.

Hello WendyDarling. How are the lost boys?

Scientists say that newborns smile because of gas.
That explains nothing.

- Babies are human.
- I am human.
- I and other humans don’t smile when I have gas.
- Ergo: scientists are presenting speculation as fact.

Babies are human.
- I am human.
- I smile when I remember the good times.
- And, some folks say that when newborns smile, they too are remembering the good times … from the previous life.
Now that you've been found, Walker, how are you?
Dalek Prime

Post by Dalek Prime »

As it's pretty much the only thing that regards the universe at all, yes, it is the most complex thing in it. Also the most disappointing, from my perspective.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Dalek Prime wrote:As it's pretty much the only thing that regards the universe at all, yes, it is the most complex thing in it. Also the most disappointing, from my perspective.
Cheer up. It could always be worse ...
Walker

Post by Walker »

WendyDarling wrote:Now that you've been found, Walker, how are you?
I’ll tell you this and I’m telling you first, probably every boy knows about dinosaurs and can throw some names around. They’re the biggest words kids first learn. Plastic toy dinosaurs. They make some good ones now. But to stay on topic, somewhere I read or heard that some scientists now think that dinosaurs, with their pea brains relative to body size, exhibited some pretty complex behaviors. Lord only knows how they inferred that, but because of the crows it’s plausible.

From what's I've heard the basal ganglia is highly underrated. A little goes a long way.

A lot of folks spend a lot of time there walking through life, while the massive brain on top thinks. A dolphin with thick and deep brain furrows like a human would be able to program that massive basal ganglia with that brainpower to do complex functions, while freeing the thinking brain to frolic.

A dinosaur with a brain of mostly brain stem could do a lot of complex stuff. It always seems to come back to a programmer or designer though, doesn't it.
Walker

Post by Walker »

Greta wrote:From a physics forum:As you point out, the structure and organization of the brain is also important. However, I don’t know of any quantitative parameters to take into account structure of the brain. So all we have for quantitative discussion is the EQ.
Yeah, but no one remembers this massive qualifier when the bottom line is published as a headline.

Therefore, certifiably ironic. May as well compare meat.
Although the results do seem to match the method, don't they.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:
I’ll tell you this and I’m telling you first, probably every boy knows about dinosaurs and can throw some names around. They’re the biggest words kids first learn. Plastic toy dinosaurs. They make some good ones now. But to stay on topic, somewhere I read or heard that some scientists now think that dinosaurs, with their pea brains relative to body size, exhibited some pretty complex behaviors. Lord only knows how they inferred that, but because of the crows it’s plausible.

From what's I've heard the basal ganglia is highly underrated. A little goes a long way.

A lot of folks spend a lot of time there walking through life, while the massive brain on top thinks. A dolphin with thick and deep brain furrows like a human would be able to program that massive basal ganglia with that brainpower to do complex functions, while freeing the thinking brain to frolic.

A dinosaur with a brain of mostly brain stem could do a lot of complex stuff. It always seems to come back to a programmer or designer though,
No.
vegetariantaxidermy

Walker wrote:

A dinosaur with a brain of mostly brain stem could do a lot of complex stuff. It always seems to come back to a programmer or designer though, doesn't it.
No.
Walker

Post by Walker »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:No.
Excepting chaos, since all that humans perceive displays design, you speak from a strange faith disconnected from reality.