Do you need consciousness to have emotion?

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Hobbes' Choice

Re: Do you need consciousness to have emotion?

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Cetaceans are total masters of their environment. They have need or concept of inventions.

As for dogs, they have evolved to use humans to guarantee their survival.

Why do you think inventions have anything special to offer this thread about consciousness and emotion?
necessity is the mother of invention; and since dogs, whales, etc., can't comprehend the meaning of 'necessity', they don't (and can't) invent anything. i'm trying to establish a proportional relationship between intelligence, emotion, and consciousness.
In other words you have no answer.

What have you invented?
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:Cetaceans are total masters of their environment. They have need or concept of inventions.

Why do you think inventions have anything special to offer this thread about consciousness and emotion?
necessity is the mother of invention; and since dogs, whales, etc., can't comprehend the meaning of 'necessity', they don't (and can't) invent anything. i'm trying to establish a proportional relationship between intelligence, emotion, and consciousness.

What have you invented?
nothing; but at least i'm educated, which is more than i can say for you, or your dog.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

What have you invented?
nothing; but at least i'm educated, which is more than i can say for you, or your dog.
If invention is a metric of consciousness, then you are unconscious.
I doubt you are as educated as me, and no more intelligent than my dog, you like my dog have both failed to answer my questions.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:If invention is a metric of consciousness, then you are unconscious.
I doubt you are as educated as me, and no more intelligent than my dog, you like my dog have both failed to answer my questions.
i think your dog knew it would be pointless to explain anything to you. i'm inclined to agree with your dog.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:If invention is a metric of consciousness, then you are unconscious.
i think your dog knew it would be pointless to explain anything to you. i'm inclined to agree with your dog.

That sums you up perfectly. A person that shares the level of consciousness of a dog. Pity you are incapable of sharing her emotional sensitivity too.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:

That sums you up perfectly. A person that shares the level of consciousness of a dog. Pity you are incapable of sharing her emotional sensitivity too.
according to you, that's still possibly more consciousness than you have.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:

according to you, that's still possibly more consciousness than you have.
How do you work that out?
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:according to you, that's still possibly more consciousness than you have.
you say that your dog exhibits more consciousness than some humans. what better human than you?
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:according to you, that's still possibly more consciousness than you have.
you say that your dog exhibits more consciousness than some humans. what better human than you?
I think you need to go and lie down, to get your thoughts together.
alpha

Post by alpha »

Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:you say that your dog exhibits more consciousness than some humans. what better human than you?
Hobbes' Choice wrote:I think you need to go and lie down, to get your thoughts together.
i am lying down, and my thoughts are together enough.
Hobbes' Choice

Post by Hobbes' Choice »

alpha wrote:
Hobbes' Choice wrote:
alpha wrote:you say that your dog exhibits more consciousness than some humans. what better human than you?
Hobbes' Choice wrote:I think you need to go and lie down, to get your thoughts together.
i am lying down, and my thoughts are together enough.
Wonderful.