does the universe exist with out the brain

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

jackles

Post by jackles »

Yeah would the universe exist with out your brain. I reckon it would and would not.what do you reckon?
Ginkgo

Re: does the universe exist with out the brain

Post by Ginkgo »

jackles wrote:Yeah would the universe exist with out your brain. I reckon it would and would not.what do you reckon?
I am of the opinion that the universe can exist without our your brain, or any other brain for that matter. However, in order to demonstrate this we would need to show that the universe is somehow conscious. This is impossible in terms classical physics. At this stage it this also impossible in terms of quantum physics.

Jackles, I know what you are trying to getting at, but the bottom line is there is no evidence for quantum mysticism. I am sympathetic to what your are saying and I think the answer will ultimately be that the universe is conscious, but not in the way we normally understand consciousness. I have this feeling that well into the future quantum mechanics will demonstrate a conscious universe.

Unfortunately feeling are worth nothing.
GreatandWiseTrixie

Post by GreatandWiseTrixie »

jackles wrote:Yeah would the universe exist with out your brain. I reckon it would and would not.what do you reckon?
Yes jackie it does because out of body experiences, consciousness exits the brain and the universe is still there.
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

jackles wrote:... I reckon it would and would not. what do you reckon?
I reckon this is a logical contradiction.

Define what you mean by 'exist' with respect to what you say.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

Arising_uk wrote:
jackles wrote:... I reckon it would and would not. what do you reckon?
I reckon this is a logical contradiction.
I reckon you would be right.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Yes there seems to be a contradiction but if your brain does have eternity as a consciousness then your brain that dies is in the past or the future relative to your eternal consciousness. Because nothing real could happen in eternity. So ya brain relative to eternity would not of happened and there is no future in eternity for it to happen. But it could still be happening as an illusion to other brains. Hope ya can follow that. Ha
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Obviously it does. Brain could not exist with out the universe.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

LOL! In jackles case it is very obvious yes!
jackles

Post by jackles »

But the point is that when ya brain dies ya consciousness being eternal carries on. An if ya think it dosnt pretend it does for the sake of the argument. Criky got to explain the obvious all time. Hex has got a part of his brain missing already or so it seems so may he could tell us.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

To exist, italian --> esistere, from latin --> ex-sistere, to come out or to be out.
I think brain could not exist if there isn't a location where to come out, that is the universe.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Well David the thinking here is that the consciouness of the brain is independent of this universe as in 3 dimension. It consciouness being a different nonmoving dimension. Thus it would not die as the moving brain construct dies. So as most of the worlds religions say if you search to find your true identity which is not the identity that you source from the event you will get eternal life. Your conscience in the event being the real you in the event.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

Know what? Once I also believed so. After so many books, so many threads and lessons and readings, I have come to the statement that consciouness is basically thought, and thought dies with us.
But, I always like reading, so tell me, what do you mean by "consciouness"?
jackles

Post by jackles »

Yes I believe thought dies with the brain but not immediately. The feeling of who you are continues because you are as a feeling a part of eternity. But its not the indivuals feeling as a part of the event as a personal individual. But at the same time it is . consciousness is as normaly understood is a feeling. But feelings are actually just your awareness.
Last edited by jackles on Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David Handeye

Post by David Handeye »

You are so much hegelian. And that's a good thing.
henry quirk

Post by henry quirk »

"Would the universe exist without your brain?"

"Does the universe exist without the brain?"

Does reality have an objective (independent) existence apart from what a conscious or self-conscious individual perceives?

Yes.

If all conscious and self-conscious matter ceased to be now everything else would continue ticking along, taking no notice of the absence of 'brains'.

Concretely: if a tree grows in the middle of forest and no eye sees it, no 'brain' perceives it, does it exist?

Yes.

We, each and every one of us, want to be the fulcrum but most of us don't even rate as spokes.

The world, reality, the universe: doesn't need you or me or him or her or them to 'be'.