God's Unliftable Rock

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

yogisuba

God's Unliftable Rock

Post by yogisuba »

Can an all powerful God create an unliftable rock?

Sure,
by splitting into two
then three
and then ten thousand things -
at some point
a part of God will not be able to lift a pebble
much less a rock:)
HexHammer

Re: God's Unliftable Rock

Post by HexHammer »

This is total backwards nonsense!
Immanuel Can

Post by Immanuel Can »

Can a square be circle?

Can a bachelor be a married man?

I'm reminded of what C.S. Lewis said about this: "Nonsense is still nonsense, even when spoken about God."
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

Yea, yea - same old replies to a nonsensical argument learned in a beginning philosophy class: Pseudo-Dionysius, Aquinas, Swinburne, Lewis, etc... The fun part about philosophy, is that we seek to stretch the incredible, open our minds, look from different angles, move in new directions, and so forth.

God splitting self can be a possible answer to this medieval paradox. While the answer does not jive with Christian theology/dogma, from the perspective of God being imbued within all things, it is very possible for God to create something at one level of being that is too heavy for God to pick up at another level without once conflicting with absolute omnipotence.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

yogisuba wrote:Yea, yea - same old replies to a nonsensical argument learned in a beginning philosophy class: Pseudo-Dionysius, Aquinas, Swinburne, Lewis, etc... The fun part about philosophy, is that we seek to stretch the incredible, open our minds, look from different angles, move in new directions, and so forth.

God splitting self can be a possible answer to this medieval paradox. While the answer does not jive with Christian theology/dogma, from the perspective of God being imbued within all things, it is very possible for God to create something at one level of being that is too heavy for God to pick up at another level without once conflicting with absolute omnipotence.
I think it's a very wonderful paradox that you have brought up. If God has created the world, that being ordered into levels of being, and participates in the world, then that could mean that God is weak and in the lower realms, just as God is powerful in the higher realms. Certainly does make sense.
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

Immanuel Can wrote:Can a square be circle?

Can a bachelor be a married man?
As to these classic logical dilemmas, from a distance a square tower can look circular, and yes, a bachelor can be a married man if that is his name: Bachelor :shock:

Just having fun. I know my answers to these very serious questions are ridiculous, but what the heck, sometimes life is pretty ridiculous...

The poem i started this thread with came popping into my mind during my meditations last night. I have not thought about this problem since my Philosophy of Religion class many years ago. Why it came up when i was meditating on breathing, i have no idea, but i thought it was an interesting answer, so i'm sharing it.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

yogisuba wrote:Can an all powerful God create an unliftable rock?

Sure,
by splitting into two
then three
at some point
Your statement is meaningless, absurd, and irrelevant. Yep, you've found a home on a philosophy forum.

Greylorn
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

Greylorn Ell wrote: Your statement is meaningless, absurd, and irrelevant. Yep, you've found a home on a philosophy forum.

Greylorn
Touché.

Now the real question is: does this absurdity lead us anywhere?
Arising_uk

Post by Arising_uk »

Sure,
by splitting into two
then three
at some point
Then it won't be a rock?

The question is not could 'it' create an unliftable rock as it surely could, as it depends upon who's lifting it. The question is, given 'its' all powerful could 'it' create an unliftable rock 'it' cannot lift and the answer is yes but then 'its' not all powerful or no but then 'its' not all powerful, so the conclusion is that with respect to the Logic of things 'God's' are not all-powerful.
Last edited by Arising_uk on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Greylorn Ell

Post by Greylorn Ell »

yogisuba wrote:
Greylorn Ell wrote: Your statement is meaningless, absurd, and irrelevant. Yep, you've found a home on a philosophy forum.

Greylorn
Touché.

Now the real question is: does this absurdity lead us anywhere?
Touché. WTF does that mindless crap mean? Are we suddenly speaking French because those dipshits have at least learned how to make decent wine?

None of your irrelevant brain-level meanderings, learned from nitwit mystical teachers, will lead to any useful insights.

However, they may provide plenty of fodder for those seeking to extract meaning from horseshit.

Greylorn
Gee

Post by Gee »

Greylorn Ell wrote: However, they may provide plenty of fodder for those seeking to extract meaning from horseshit.

Greylorn
No. No. Horseshit does not give us meaning; it gives us tomatoes. Grandma always said that cow manure was alright, but horseshit was better, and she grew some lovely tomatoes. Sweet and huge tomatoes. Damned, I miss her.

Gee
yogisuba

Post by yogisuba »

I must say, I never found much pleasure nor use in those who have only shit to say to others, as if their insults somehow make them entertaining in an otherwise slowly desensitized world. I mistook your initial comment Greylorn as a comment against philosophy in general and how my "meaningless, absurd" play on an old paradox was fitting for the present company. But, as your second response to me was still sharp, hurtful, and pointless, I choose to avoid your company and not respond to your non-enlightening and debasing mental trash. Be blessed.

As to Gee, I agree, horseshit is better than cow manure, though, with horse crap you got to make sure it composts for a year or you will have the worse weeds in your garden – much like Greylorn's words in this thread.
Aero

Post by Aero »

The problem with this question, is that it's a leading question.

For example:

It's like me asking have you stopped killing kittens in your free time. Whether you answer yes or no, it implies something negative about you and paints you as a loser. This question implies that "God" is not all powerful, whether it's answered yes or no.

If the question itself is a fail, we will get a fail answer.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

yogisuba wrote:I must say, I never found much pleasure nor use in those who have only shit to say to others, as if their insults somehow make them entertaining in an otherwise slowly desensitized world. I mistook your initial comment Greylorn as a comment against philosophy in general and how my "meaningless, absurd" play on an old paradox was fitting for the present company. But, as your second response to me was still sharp, hurtful, and pointless, I choose to avoid your company and not respond to your non-enlightening and debasing mental trash. Be blessed.

As to Gee, I agree, horseshit is better than cow manure, though, with horse crap you got to make sure it composts for a year or you will have the worse weeds in your garden – much like Greylorn's words in this thread.
LOL? ..if you make an invitation for verbal happyslappin, then don't whine about it when you get the full load.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

Aero wrote:
The problem with this question, is that it's a leading question.

For example:

It's like me asking have you stopped killing kittens in your free time. Whether you answer yes or no, it implies something negative about you and paints you as a loser. This question implies that "God" is not all powerful, whether it's answered yes or no.

If the question itself is a fail, we will get a fail answer.
No, pure nonsense!
The rock question doesn't in any way imply that he can or can't, when the kitty question does imply a terrible action.

Big difference!