One 2 Zero film project and the role of consciousness

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

rajium

One 2 Zero film project and the role of consciousness

Post by rajium »

Hello all,

I would like to take a risk and plug my new film project. It is a project that delves into the science and philosophy of consciousness. I would greatly appreciate support from the philosophy community. The film tries to address the current issues in the philosophy of mind without dumbing anything down (a difficult task for films). It addresses issues such as the binding problem, what it's like to be, intentionality, and more.

Hopefully you will find the project as an honest exploration of one of my favorite philosophical topics, one worthy of helping out.

Again, thank you for your tolerance with this post. And thank you for your support!

Below I offer a question

If consciousness is a bye product of a pure physical world what arguement can one give that consciousness is not involved in the brains functioning. Doesn't physics dictate that it MUST influence the brain's activity no matter how small? We know that neuronal organization allows for the ignoring of certain phenomena (such as excitation threshholds), but what philosophical reasoning can be explored here?
Ginkgo

Re: One 2 Zero film project and the role of consciousness

Post by Ginkgo »

rajium wrote:
If consciousness is a bye product of a pure physical world what arguement can one give that consciousness is not involved in the brains functioning. Doesn't physics dictate that it MUST influence the brain's activity no matter how small? We know that neuronal organization allows for the ignoring of certain phenomena (such as excitation threshholds), but what philosophical reasoning can be explored here?
Depends on the theory. If you are talking about consciousness as a by-product of the physical processes then you are probably talking about epiphenomenalism. This particular theory was introduced into philosophy of mind to overcome what was seen as an obvious difficulty when it came to materialism. That is to say, consciousness seems to have a different property to the physical process going on in the brain.

So yes, we could say that the materialist/physicalist explanation for consciousness exhibits a two way casual process. There is no problem with this as consciousness is just matter in motion. Epiphenomenalism on the other hand is a one way casual process. Our conscious thoughts are seen as just a by-products of physical process. A bit like smoke given off by a fire. The fire causes the smoke, but the smoke doesn't cause the fire to do anything.

The problem with epiphenomenalism is that it doesn't do justice to our mental lives, thinking is seen as just a by-product. It is the physical processes in the brain that cause us to react the way we do in our daily lives. Epiphenomenalism is a form of property dualism.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Do you think it possible that time is in fact consciousness. Or to put it another way is consciousness time. Time being as it is omni present to all events including the brain. In fact time must be involved in consciousness because it is omni present and indistinguishably to its self and all else.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

jackles wrote:Do you think it possible that time is in fact consciousness. Or to put it another way is consciousness time. Time being as it is omni present to all events including the brain. In fact time must be involved in consciousness because it is omni present and indistinguishably to its self and all else.

Time is probably fundamental to consciousness, but no one knows because time and consciousness are the most hotly disputed topics in philosophy and physics. However, if it turns out that time is fundamental to consciousness then this doesn't necessarily mean they one and the same. I can't see how one can be reduced to the other. Having said that, this doesn't mean they are not closely interwoven.

Before you can explore these ideas you would need to familiarize yourself with the following:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra ... _reduction
jackles

Post by jackles »

Time I think then could be seen as fact when all else can be seen as fiction relative to that fact. So hiesenbergs uncertainty principle is a fictional fact inside the fact which is time. In effect time plays hoste to hiesenbergs uncertainty principle . Through death it time changes life forms by evolution. God is time alpha and omega indistinguishable
Last edited by jackles on Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ginkgo

Post by Ginkgo »

jackles wrote:Time I think then could be seen as fact all else can be seen as fiction relative to that fact. So hiesenbergs uncertainty principle is a fictional fact inside the fact which is time. In effect time plays hoate to hiesenbergs uncertainty principle . Through death it time changes life forms by evolution.
Sorry jackles but you have completely lost me.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Time as nothing is the creator of something the universe. Time created the universe the exact same time that is involved in consciousness there aint two seperate times time is time. Time is the certainty that the uncertainty exists in. Time is omni present certainty to all events in which uncertainty exists.
rajium

Post by rajium »

I'm not sure what the time issue is. We believe time is foundational to physics, so of course consciuosness is affected by it and without it we have no ... anything really.

Time is not consciousness. The sensation of time however is a product of awareness which is consciuosness (or a part of).
jackles

Post by jackles »

Time is the root of consciouness. Consciouness is time based as all else is. How can you say that time is not consciousness .what ever you said was consciousness I could cut that thing in half and say look that is consciousness an when we got to a higgs boson that comes in to existance from nothing I could say that nothing is consciousness. Time is consciousness and consciousness is time.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

OP why do you turn to philosophy, here you mostly find guess work and jumping to conclusions.

Go to science forum instead.
Ginkgo wrote:
jackles wrote:Do you think it possible that time is in fact consciousness. Or to put it another way is consciousness time. Time being as it is omni present to all events including the brain. In fact time must be involved in consciousness because it is omni present and indistinguishably to its self and all else.

Time is probably fundamental to consciousness, but no one knows because time and consciousness are the most hotly disputed topics in philosophy and physics. However, if it turns out that time is fundamental to consciousness then this doesn't necessarily mean they one and the same. I can't see how one can be reduced to the other. Having said that, this doesn't mean they are not closely interwoven.

Before you can explore these ideas you would need to familiarize yourself with the following:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestra ... _reduction
Time in itself is inconsequential to consciousness and has no direct effect.
rajium

Post by rajium »

To gingko,
epiphenomonalism requies duelism unless we allow the 'epiphenomon' to affect its environment. Even smoke affects fire. Too much smoke in a small room will smother the flames. The key here is the small room, yes. But that's exactly why consciousness is useful. Lets say there is a shoking event, a loud buzz. Your conscious self may be attending to something else. When the loud noise occurs your brain creates a conscious awareness of the event. This infact catalyzes the action of covering ears. This action may be performed without conscious awareness but I believe studies have shown that being conscious of the event creates a more robust and quicker more accurate response. So being conscious changes the brain's response.
To me, epiphenomonalism is just duelism in disguise and has no real part in a materialist or physicalist view of consciousness.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Everything in existance is inside of time .what ever you came up with as consciousness would be in side of time. Nonlocality is time.
rajium

Post by rajium »

Hexhammer. You are saying time has no effect on consciousness?

Can give some reason why you say this? Seems contrary to all physical law.
jackles

Post by jackles »

Hex dosnt reason.ha
And your reasoning on consciousness doesnt make sense. Consciousness has to involve time so if times involved and is the base then it time is using other stuff.stuff dosnt use time.
So you are wrong.
HexHammer

Post by HexHammer »

rajium wrote:Hexhammer. You are saying time has no effect on consciousness?

Can give some reason why you say this? Seems contrary to all physical law.
Based on any scientific writing, they never mention time as a factor to consciousness, only in philosophy very weird people will get that farfetched idea.