All REAL Philosophers Worth Their Weight Do Drugs

Is the mind the same as the body? What is consciousness? Can machines have it?

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Which Drugs Do You Use?

Nicotine: *PLEASE try e-cigs if you are STILL using this drug.
14%
Psychedelics:  Viewing life from different perspectives.
14%
Weed: Fun & insightful.
14%
Opiates: A little more serious...be careful.
14%
Benzos: Mood enhancer.
14%
Amphetamines: Limited concentrated focus & speed.
14%
Alcohol: The ultimate go-to drug.
14%
Disassociates: For the serious philosopher.
No votes
Ego: Still the most dangerous drug when taken alone.
No votes

Total votes: 7

Bill Wiltrack

All REAL Philosophers Worth Their Weight Do Drugs

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

….................................... Image

As real philosophers we all live in our heads.

Either we do specific drugs just for fun or we use specific drugs to gain insights or, more importantly, we use different drugs to gain a temporarily contrastive perspective.

I have a poll, should you feel confident enough to participate, where you can show your drugs of choice, compare them to the others that participate and, if you feel really compelled, you can add why, when & how you imbibe.

I thank you ahead of time and I realize that most members may not be confident enough to share. That's all good.

…........................................................... Image

vegetariantaxidermy

Re: All REAL Philosophers Worth Their Weight Do Drugs

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

Unfortunately there is this little thing called 'tolerance' that fucks it all up in the end.
WanderingLands

Post by WanderingLands »

Seeing things with a clear and sober mind is way better than simple getting drugged - if anything, life itself is the ultimate drug for me. There's a clear difference between actually expanding your consciousness (as in simply knowing), and distorting your ego by getting tripped up on large doses of whatever drug there is available.
Bill Wiltrack

Post by Bill Wiltrack »

I've seen reality from both clear-headedness and under the influence.

By far, the most valuable philosophical insights in my life have come when I had a really clear head. I was drinking a lot of coffee, I'm sure, but other than that, a clear head.

I also enjoy every mind altering chemical that is on the list I provided above.

I think, at times, it is important or useful to keep yourself off balance to a degree. You can get lost in your ego...so to speak. You can't allow yourself too be too confident.

My $00.02.

Blaggard

Post by Blaggard »

All real people who are like I am are better. It's called cognitive bias Bill, you're not better and neither is anyone else on drugs. You just do them so you like to think you are.

Drugs aren't bad, mmmkay. But be realistic someone on drugs thinking more clearly than someone not on them. Seems that is not logical...

Traditionally I think alcohol was the drug of choce for philosophers, I don't think they did much more than making them feel better at the end of hard days thinking. I certainly don't think drunk x philosopher produced anything meaningful, any more than acid x, or MJ x. Drugs are what you do in your down time not what you do to create new thought. People have said they have found new insights on drugs, I would tend to ask how many insights they found when not on them comparatively.

All people do drugs, all people seek something that offer a release from their mundane lives, or thinking too hard or whatever, be it coffee or smack. End of the day everyone has a drug, even if they don't touch them.