Hello Rick Lewis, Thank you

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: Hello Rick Lewis, Thank you

Post by chaz wyman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:41 pm

AMod wrote:
chaz wyman wrote:This Forum is a serious impediment to the reputation of the Magazine.
Unless someone is prepared to do a little more to moderate in favour of some... er... philosophical discussions, this will always be a thorn in the side of a great publication.
If you do not think this is right then seriously - READ through the last 30 postings and see if you can find any philosophy! It seems to me that neither Rick, nor Amod spend any time here.

It would be better if this forum did not exist - maybe you could offer some of the content of the magazine to a Forum which is already active, and working like a "Philosophy Forum" - not a shit slinging arena for morons and the mentally unstable?

I find it sad to have to go to other Forums for a decent chat. It is not that this Forum has always been so shit, but at the moment it has become populated with a different breed of contributor. I doubt many of these even subscribe to the magazine.
For me - I am getting more from other Forums, and think it a shame that I cannot support my interest in the articles in the magazine, with discussion on those topics without fending off arrogant, insulting and stupid comments.

I doubt if I shall bother to re-subscribe to the magazine.

Here is one customer that this Forum has caused to leave.
Sorry.
chaz wyman,

I find this more than mildly amusing given that since the get-go, and despite gentle reminders, you have made arrogant, dismissive, rude, insulting and at times down-right offensive comments in your posts to others. If I followed your advice I'd have deleted the majority of your posts and if I listened to others requests would have banned you a long time ago.

If you were as good as your word then maybe things would be better, and I would behave all the more nicely.
But when you live in a sewer, the only option you have is to throw shite.

That you now claim that you will not be subscribing to the magazine because of this forum just adds childish pettiness to your list of character traits.

Your words are empty until you start to insist on a better standard. A standard I'd be more than happy. to comply with

Take a look at the magazines articles, most are what I would call 'lecturer essays' and some are of the polemical philosophy type but all appear to be with the intent to inform the philosophically uneducated. Why not take a leaf out of their books instead of just dismissing others as "arrogant, insulting and stupid", as is your wont. Or better still PM me with a request to moderate the thread as I've yet to hear any requests from you to moderate replies in the Articles from Philosophy Now section?
You are talking bullshit. Until you are willing to moderate, then it is pointless you bleating on about it.
So shut up, set some rules, and I'll play the game. Until then everything you say is nothing more than hot air, like everything else on this Forum.

In general my approach is that if one starts a thread then one should have some responsibility for it, not expect some 'authority' to do it all for you. If you haven't started it but think replies to you are unwarranted then PM me again and I'll make a judgement. In your case, most of the time, I think you get what you give out.
I've tried it in the past and I'll I get is the same story.

AMod

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:43 pm

duszek wrote:I agree with AMod.

We all can take responsibility by ignoring what we think is bad and ugly and by paying attention to what is good and worth promoting.
A sort of survival of the fittest should be the result in the long run.

Dr. Laura Schlesinger says: if you tolerate crap you get crap.

Thank you for sweeping a little bit here and there, AMod.
You seem to be agreeing with me - not Amod.
If you tolerate crap all you get is crap is my point exactly.
There is no moderation at all - that IS tolerating crap. And as a result this Forum is Crap.

duszek

Post by duszek » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:11 pm

I pick only non-crap, on this forum and on other forums.

Those who show me the ugly face of human nature get only one chance to do so. Which is only fair.

AMod

Post by AMod » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:33 am

chaz wyman,
chaz wyman wrote:If you were as good as your word then maybe things would be better, and I would behave all the more nicely.
:?: I have been as good as my word which is why the majority of your posts remained. My recollection has you bringing the sewer with you. But what kind of ethic and morality is this you hold?
Your words are empty until you start to insist on a better standard. A standard I'd be more than happy. to comply with
What kind of ethic and morality is this? I'm not your parent, try some self-control. My memory has you bringing a low standard with you.

You are talking bullshit. Until you are willing to moderate, then it is pointless you bleating on about it.
So shut up, set some rules, and I'll play the game. Until then everything you say is nothing more than hot air, like everything else on this Forum.
Who's bleating, I was responding to your comments. Once again, I'm not your parent. Upon a philosophy forum I'd expect those who profess to philosophise to have some ethics and morals. Its why I generally leave the posts of those who don't as I think it displays their philosophical credentials.
What you get is my opinion against yours. I'll admit to allowing bias in this matter as in the past listening to you complain about others posts often seemed like the pot calling the kettle black so I tended to judge them by the same standard I judged you.

AMod

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:51 am

AMod wrote:chaz wyman,
chaz wyman wrote:If you were as good as your word then maybe things would be better, and I would behave all the more nicely.
:?: I have been as good as my word which is why the majority of your posts remained. My recollection has you bringing the sewer with you. But what kind of ethic and morality is this you hold?
What kind of ethic and morality is this? I'm not your parent, try some self-control. My memory has you bringing a low standard with you.

Who's bleating, I was responding to your comments. Once again, I'm not your parent. Upon a philosophy forum I'd expect those who profess to philosophise to have some ethics and morals. Its why I generally leave the posts of those who don't as I think it displays their philosophical credentials.
What you get is my opinion against yours. I'll admit to allowing bias in this matter as in the past listening to you complain about others posts often seemed like the pot calling the kettle black so I tended to judge them by the same standard I judged you.

AMod
The song writer said; when freedom comes along, don't piss in the water supply.
Sadly there are too many people who do not give a flying fuck about philosophy or the magazine that are just too happy to piss and shit where they will, for the fun or watching people squirm when they take the waters.

You are confused.
I have no trouble with my own ethics. And have no trouble complying with good practice. Far from bringing my low standard with me, I am simply following the low standard of this the lowest forum.
Freedom requires some protection. If you are not willing to protect those that want to up-lift the forum, then all you are doing is protecting the idiots who want to go into a theatre and shout "Fire!"; or a better analogy those who with their new found freedom think they can shit where they like. All I want is to have the peace to enjoy the magazine and discuss it on a Forum with out the freeloading morons shitting on the pitch. You can't play the game here because the pitch is too covered in shit. You need some rules to make sure people shit in the appropriate places.
The real reason for your woeful letting down of the reputation of the magazine, is that you are just too damn lazy to do the work required.
You were happy enough to follow one of my suggestions last years in the matter of avoiding Spammers - because that actually saved you time, but it seems you are not willing to lift a damn finger in making this Forum what it could be.

If you spent more time on the Forum you would know what I am talking about. Go through Satyr's posts and find one that matches the aspirations of the magazine.

reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:48 pm

CW

I recall Rick saying, there have been more tumultous times than we are experiencing now. Don't concern yourself unduly CW. Perhaps if you liken this Forum to the Christians versus the Gladiators and the hot topic of debate are the symptoms of menopause, then it may be easier to accept. LOL. With hindsight I think there are very few of us who have not, at some time, exhibited behavior less than desirable.

John

Post by John » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:16 pm

To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if a forum where it's deemed acceptable to refer to everyone as a "****" and where people are welcome to participate even when they've put out a call on another forum for others to come here because it's worth "hunting in" for "months of entertainment" is really worth the effort. Whilst I've got no problem with heated debate, and the normal silliness that usually entails, I find it gets boring when people resort to being offensive just to provoke a reaction they find amusing. It hardly seems like the ideal atmosphere to have a productive debate.

reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm

To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if a forum where it's deemed acceptable to refer to everyone as a "****" and where people are welcome to participate even when they've put out a call on another forum for others to come here because it's worth "hunting in" for "months of entertainment" is really worth the effort.

Has the moron requested "back up" on his forum? LOL

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:51 pm

reasonvemotion wrote:CW

I recall Rick saying, there have been more tumultous times than we are experiencing now. Don't concern yourself unduly CW. Perhaps if you liken this Forum to the Christians versus the Gladiators and the hot topic of debate are the symptoms of menopause, then it may be easier to accept. LOL. With hindsight I think there are very few of us who have not, at some time, exhibited behavior less than desirable.
But that is part of what I am saying. If there is a carte-blanche on expletives and insults then there is just no incentive to treat people with any respect, at times when we would be better advised to keep quiet.
It just ends up being a shit-slinging match, nothing whatever to do wit philosophy.
Those that take the trouble to tip-toe through the shit on the playing field, end up either joining in, or falling on their face, unable to compete with the smell.

The thought has occurred to me that a forum such as this backed by a publication ought to have a more vibrant and thriving community of contributors. I image most of those that having bought the magazine and followed up on the forum would have been disappointed.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:53 pm

John wrote:To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if a forum where it's deemed acceptable to refer to everyone as a "****" and where people are welcome to participate even when they've put out a call on another forum for others to come here because it's worth "hunting in" for "months of entertainment" is really worth the effort. Whilst I've got no problem with heated debate, and the normal silliness that usually entails, I find it gets boring when people resort to being offensive just to provoke a reaction they find amusing. It hardly seems like the ideal atmosphere to have a productive debate.
Indeed.

Thundril

Post by Thundril » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:59 pm

John wrote:To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder if a forum where it's deemed acceptable to refer to everyone as a "****" and where people are welcome to participate even when they've put out a call on another forum for others to come here because it's worth "hunting in" for "months of entertainment" is really worth the effort. Whilst I've got no problem with heated debate, and the normal silliness that usually entails, I find it gets boring when people resort to being offensive just to provoke a reaction they find amusing. It hardly seems like the ideal atmosphere to have a productive debate.
I have enjoyed a few really good debates on this forum, in the couple of years I've been here. Recently I've put two or three people on ignore (guess who) but it's becoming difficult to sustain any discussion, because people you haven't put on ignore post lengthy quotes from the people you are trying to ignore, and the thread gets derailed again. I've decided to take a break from attempting philosophical discussions here, but I'm lurking about, hoping the shit-merchants will eventually take their moronic tedious willy-waving elsewhere.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Thundril wrote:
I have enjoyed a few really good debates on this forum, in the couple of years I've been here. Recently I've put two or three people on ignore (guess who) but it's becoming difficult to sustain any discussion, because people you haven't put on ignore post lengthy quotes from the people you are trying to ignore, and the thread gets derailed again. I've decided to take a break from attempting philosophical discussions here, but I'm lurking about, hoping the shit-merchants will eventually take their moronic tedious willy-waving elsewhere.
When it is as easy to throw the board across the room to win, what's the point of playing the game?

reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:19 am

I notice The Jesus Head was "wiped" when he made it a personal issue with Rick.

I for one, object to being called "****" time after time and I am sure there are others on this Forum who would agree. Satyr had some interesting contributions initially, but it has become tiresomely overwhelmed with expletives, to the point where he has no credibility. I think one abusive post allows insight into the person, but having it rammed down one's throat repeatedly, is not necessary, as most people here have a healthy IQ and can identify personal traits of the poster easily enough, without enduring repetition.

chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:26 am

reasonvemotion wrote:I notice The Jesus Head was "wiped" when he made it a personal issue with Rick.
There is hope yet, maybe.
But it is a shame that the same curtesy could not be extended to other contributors. It seems that you need to be an owner or a moderator on this Forum to get any respect.

But when he started Jesushead too had some interesting things to say. But the licence to abuse got the better of him.
When he started 'having personal issues with me', no one gave a flying one

reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:34 am

Exactly.