Deletion problem

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

Philosophy Explorer

Deletion problem

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Trying to delete a message. Set it for delete marked, press go and reply yes. Nothing happens.

PhilX 🇺🇸

-1-

Re: Deletion problem

Post by -1- » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 pm

msgs are in a queue, which gets purged at definite intervals. They get a marker, to be purged, instead of instantly getting deleted.

I don't know why this is better than instant deletion. Perhaps the re-chaining (virtual linking) is easier done in a batch process than as an interactive process. But that's assuming that msgs are kept on a database.

Well, I don't know. It is all conjecture.

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm

-1- wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:08 pm
msgs are in a queue, which gets purged at definite intervals. They get a marker, to be purged, instead of instantly getting deleted.

I don't know why this is better than instant deletion. Perhaps the re-chaining (virtual linking) is easier done in a batch process than as an interactive process. But that's assuming that msgs are kept on a database.

If what you say is true, then the administration may be creating unnecessary work due to repeated efforts to delete on the part of the members. Let's see what the mods have to say.

PhilX 🇺🇸

-1-

Post by -1- » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 pm

Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm
-1- wrote:

If what you say is true, then the administration may be creating unnecessary work due to repeated efforts to delete on the part of the members. Let's see what the mods have to say.

PhilX 🇺🇸
No, the administration has not asked the developers to put msgs in a queue. All similar softwares apparent to the users operate the same way.

The administration bought a package, with a few tweekable elements. It's the programmers that give not even a hoot to the psychology of the user. Most programmers are geeks (I used to be one programmer geek, too), to whom human nature is not an enigma -- enigmas can be solved. To us human nature is something we never even think of. None of our business. "Which part of "human nature" does a programmer understand not?" "Both parts."

Philosophy Explorer

Post by Philosophy Explorer » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:30 pm

-1- wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 pm
Philosophy Explorer wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:14 pm
-1- wrote:

PhilX 🇺🇸
No, the administration has not asked the developers to put msgs in a queue. All similar softwares apparent to the users operate the same way.

The administration bought a package, with a few tweekable elements. It's the programmers that give not even a hoot to the psychology of the user. Most programmers are geeks (I used to be one programmer geek, too), to whom human nature is not an enigma -- enigmas can be solved. To us human nature is something we never even think of. None of our business. "Which part of "human nature" does a programmer understand not?" "Both parts."
To ask, how do you know so much about this website?

PhilX 🇺🇸

-1-

Post by -1- » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:04 am

Fair question, PHX.

I know nothing about this website. All I know is that industry standards exist. I could not program this website, but I used to be a programmer a long time ago. I have a tincy-wincy insight therefore, how they MIGHT work. It is not necessarily true that I am correct. It is a Zen feeling I have for the programming angle of computers, since, like I said, I used to be a programmer myself.

To say I know a lot about this website is an overstatement. A gross overstatement. The largest chunk of the knowledge comes from other users. Much like your complaint that the msg was not deleted... I wouldn't have guessed a priori that that's the case, but a posteriori I believe my explanation stands.