New feature: comment count on articles

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

RickLewis

New feature: comment count on articles

Post by RickLewis »

Our illustrious digital editor has just introduced a new feature on the Philosophy Now website.

As many here know, if you go to an article on the Philosophy Now website there is always a "Discuss" link in the top right hand corner. If you click that, it brings you here to the forum, to the discussion thread devoted to that particular article. If there isn't a discussion thread yet, then it creates one.

Anyway, the update is that next to the "Discuss" link on the article page, there is now a number in brackets which is the number of forum postings about the article. So if it says (0) then nobody has been discussing it here yet. If it says (35) then it is probably the subject of heated discussion, and so on.

For example, Ray Tallis's column in our current issue had 37 comments at the time I wrote this.
https://philosophynow.org/issues/120/Raymond_Tallis
marjoram_blues

Re: New feature: comment count on articles

Post by marjoram_blues »

I have just had the most disappointing experience :cry:

I found a brilliant article by Anja Steinbauer, written in 1999: ' What's New...in Chinese Philosophy'.
The number in brackets, next to 'Discuss' showed zero, nada, nuffink. Therefore - nobody has discussed the article.
So, I duly spent some time and heaps of mental energy to read and respond. So far, so good.

But then - lo and behold - a brief message burst my little bubble:
' this topic doesn't exist'.

What ?
Of course, it exists - I just damned well read it.

So, when does a topic not exist ?

And if it doesn't exist, then no wonder nobody has replied...
So much for turtles in the ocean.
RickLewis

Post by RickLewis »

Sorry to hear that - how frustrating! However, I have told Anja that you enjoyed her article.

It's hard to know exactly what went wrong. Possibly you clicked the "Discuss" button on the article, thus auto creating a discussion thread, but then took more than 24 hours to post, in which case the thread had automatically deleted itself... but that's only a guess. Anyway, you were clearly the victim of an irritating glitch with the forum, for which I apologise.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

RickLewis wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm Sorry to hear that - how frustrating! However, I have told Anja that you enjoyed her article.

It's hard to know exactly what went wrong. Possibly you clicked the "Discuss" button on the article, thus auto creating a discussion thread, but then took more than 24 hours to post, in which case the thread had automatically deleted itself... but that's only a guess. Anyway, you were clearly the victim of an irritating glitch with the forum, for which I apologise.
Thanks for quick response. And the sympathy, and the sorry. You are hereby forgiven for any forum glitches :)
Might try again later...
Glad you passed on the message to Anja.
Amongst other things, I had been wondering if there was an update...to the 'What's New...in Chinese Philosophy' ?
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

RickLewis wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm Anyway, you were clearly the victim of an irritating glitch
This could be a brief summary of my life.
marjoram_blues wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 am I have just had the most disappointing experience :cry:
I'm just in the process of planning my next one: I'm thinking of joining a rambling group.
marjoram_blues

Post by marjoram_blues »

Harbal wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:35 pm
RickLewis wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm Anyway, you were clearly the victim of an irritating glitch
This could be a brief summary of my life.
marjoram_blues wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:22 am I have just had the most disappointing experience :cry:
I'm just in the process of planning my next one: I'm thinking of joining a rambling group.
OK then, Harbal dearest, get thee to the Lounge and tell us all, over a cuppa tea and a Kit Kat 8)
Harbal

Post by Harbal »

marjoram_blues wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:13 am get thee to the Lounge and tell us all,
There's not really anything to tell yet. It was just your comment about a disappointing experience, it reminded me that I was thinking about embarking on an experience that is almost bound to be disappointing. It occurred to me that maybe I should try and have more to do with real people and cut down a bit on the virtual ones. I don't know where the idea came from but, all of a sudden, there it was in my head: the local ramblers. I wouldn't call it a eureka moment exactly but it was the best I could come up with. There are some photos on their website and most of them look like old codgers so I'll have something in common with them right from the off. They're meeting just down the road from me tomorrow for an evening stroll, I thought I might tag along. If I do go and it's as disappointing as I expect it to be I'll post a bulletin in the Lounge.
over a cuppa tea and a Kit Kat
Isn't it great to be British? :)