Welcome to our new forum!

Welcome to the forum

Moderators: AMod, iMod

chaz wyman

Re: Welcome to our new forum!

Post by chaz wyman »

Atthet wrote:Don't act so innocent Cheeeze, you have played a part in the destruction of this forum too. Don't tell Amod how to do his job.
If you were as smart as you think you are you might have read what I said. I'm not playing the innocent- far from it.
Amod is not doing any kind of job.
AMod

Post by AMod »

chaz wyman,

Well, none that I feel the need to report to you about.

AMod.
marjoramblues

Post by marjoramblues »

Last edited by marjoramblues on Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

AMod wrote:chaz wyman,

Well, none that I feel the need to report to you about.

AMod.
I haven't asked you to report to me, I've suggested that you take reports from others who are unhappy about the forum, and do some 'moderating'!
What does 'mod' stand for? Modeller? Maybe you think you job is to build Airfix kits, because you seem to do precious little moderating.
vegetariantaxidermy

Post by vegetariantaxidermy »

I must say, this is quite a strange forum. We have people making outrageously bigoted and hateful comments about Jews, threats by testosterone-fueled forum members to each other, names, addresses and phone numbers posted all over the show, libel....and a moderator who insults the forum members. Bizarre. :?
reasonvemotion

Post by reasonvemotion »

Everyone has an opinion, and the guy screaming for censorship may be the next guy to have his ideas cut off.
Richard King
vegetariantaxidermy

I'm the last person who wants censorship. I'm all for freedom of speech in its true sense.
AMod

Post by AMod »

chaz wyman,
chaz wyman wrote:I haven't asked you to report to me, I've suggested that you take reports from others who are unhappy about the forum, and do some 'moderating'!
What does 'mod' stand for? Modeller? Maybe you think you job is to build Airfix kits, because you seem to do precious little moderating.
Again, I don't report to you about the actions I take.

You have no idea what reports or PM's I get from others. On the whole what you mean is remove the posts that you deem to not be philosophical and if I took what you said seriously most of your posts would have been removed.

AMod.
vegetariantaxidermy

I'm just not sure what the moderator does on here. I've been on other forums that were well moderated. There was still freedom of speech, just not a Wild West, anything goes set-up. The standard of commenting was exceptional.
John

Post by John »

reasonvemotion wrote:
Everyone has an opinion, and the guy screaming for censorship may be the next guy to have his ideas cut off.
Richard King
When the freedom to express ideas also includes the freedom to hurl insults the ideas usually get forgotten.

It may well be the case that we have some intelligent people here that have challenging ideas to present but the level of insults directed to anyone who disagrees or merely questions the thesis makes it so unpleasant to participate in the debate that it become rather pointless.

So it's not about dangerous ideas, it's about some basic decency.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

AMod wrote:chaz wyman,
chaz wyman wrote:I haven't asked you to report to me, I've suggested that you take reports from others who are unhappy about the forum, and do some 'moderating'!
Again, I don't report to you about the actions I take.

You have no idea what reports or PM's I get from others. On the whole what you mean is remove the posts that you deem to not be philosophical and if I took what you said seriously most of your posts would have been removed.

AMod.
Fiddling whilst Rome burns.
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

vegetariantaxidermy wrote:I'm just not sure what the moderator does on here. I've been on other forums that were well moderated. There was still freedom of speech, just not a Wild West, anything goes set-up. The standard of commenting was exceptional.
Me too, and I'd like the standard to be improved here; especially since the Forum links to a physical text- the publication.
Maybe if Amod spent some time on one of the many superior sites s/he would agree with you and I how poor this site seems in comparison.

Here is an example.
http://forums.philosophyforums.com/
chaz wyman

Post by chaz wyman »

John wrote:
reasonvemotion wrote:
Richard King
When the freedom to express ideas also includes the freedom to hurl insults the ideas usually get forgotten.

It may well be the case that we have some intelligent people here that have challenging ideas to present but the level of insults directed to anyone who disagrees or merely questions the thesis makes it so unpleasant to participate in the debate that it become rather pointless.

So it's not about dangerous ideas, it's about some basic decency.
Over the years that I have contributed to this site, many intelligent people have come and gone, some I have recognised moved to better sites. It's a shame we can't keep them interested here.
AMod

Post by AMod »

John,

Although I think allowing the troll or anti-semite or neo-nazi/white supremacist to actually get under ones skin with such insults is the mistake and I'd prefer people to just take the piss as its much more effective, I now agree that basic decency is an issue, that and I'm getting bored with the repetitiveness. So I am discussing the issue with those involved at present. We'll see how it goes.

AMod.
AMod

Post by AMod »

chaz wyman wrote:Over the years that I have contributed to this site, many intelligent people have come and gone, some I have recognised moved to better sites. It's a shame we can't keep them interested here.
chaz wyman,

I find myself flabbergasted that you cannot recognise your own behaviour as a source of such things.

Over the years I've found that people come and go and come and go, trolls appear and disappear with about the same regularity.

What you call 'better' is subjective I think and from visiting the other sites I find they tend to express a sameness to their discussions. As from the look of them I assume their moderators censor both bad language and any behaviour or thoughts that they fundamentally disagree with.

I thought I made it abundantly clear that if the owner of a post requests a change to the thread I will seriously consider it. So your intelligent people can have the thread they wish if they can be bothered to police it. I'd even lock it if they thought it had run its course.

That most of the complaints I get are from those that tend to behave badly upon anothers OP is just one of the ironies I've discovered whilst being a Mod.

AMod